Water intake?

Options
Anyone else having problems with water intake? I have never been a big water drinker and cannot stomach loads of it a day. What I do drink is one or maybe two bottles a day with some kind of flavoring added. I have dropped my Dr. Pepper (diet usually) from 10 or 12 a week to maybe twice a week.... last bottle I bought is still sealed and its been there since last Thursday... and I walked uptown just to get it then talked myself out of it when I got home. I drink a load of tea. Usually two full pots a day with sweetener. If I have my regular tea I add maybe a teaspoon of 1% milk per pot but if I drink my herbal I omit it...... anyone know if you can count that as a water?

Replies

• lilikoi44
    lilikoi44 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't have many answers for you, but I'm not so good at drinking enough water either.

I have made it my goal from this week on to drink at least 64 ounces daily (eight 8-oz cups). I have a mini magnetic whiteboard that I hung on the refrigerator that I write how much water I drink each day. My fancy new-ish refrigerator (that I bought because the other one stopped working last August) actually tells me how many ounces it dispenses from the water dispenser, so it makes it easier. I also spend way too much buying bottled water out of vending machines at work, so I've started taking my own filtered water with me (as long as I remember to grab it before I leave in the morning).
  • jenifer315
    jenifer315 Posts: 23
    Options
    My group trainer told me to drink 104 oz a day which works out to 13 glasses of water. It has been a struggle because I hate plain water. I use the crystal light Pure drink mix to give it some flavor. I have a reusable water bottle that I use and it has a dial on it to keep track.

The downsize is that I have to pee like 15 times a day but I have gotten so many compliments on my skin.

So basically the water bottle has to be filled up 4 times a day. I space it out to give myself a break. I drink one first thing in the morning before I eat breakfast, 1 before lunch, 1 during exercise and 1 before dinner. Doing it before each meal helps fill me up and I eat a little less.
  • BarbaraJeanSmith
    Options
    I drink between 6 and 12 8 oz glasses of water per day. I do better when I am at work through the week because aside from my morning iced coffee water is the only thing I drink usually. My trick is to make it in Quart Gaterade bottles. I HAVE to drink at least two per day on work days. Another trick I use is I use flavored Crystal Light mixes currently Margarita or Strawberry Orange banana flavor. I freeze the water to make it a slush consistancy and it makes it earier for me to drink when it is very cold.

As to your question about counting other stuff as water. My personal habit is to only count water. I know people who count tea and coffee in their count as it is made from water. I think that is ok but I don't do it that way. I do not think you should count any kind os soda in your count because the liquid is carbinated. That is my personal opinion. I also have a friend who drinks lemonade and counts that as water. So I think it is up to you what you do.

I think the prupose behind it in the first place is to help you feel full with no calories so you will eat less and to help up your motabilisim and to help the food you do eat move through your system.
  • Hockeyvamp
    Hockeyvamp Posts: 6
    Options
    I am thinking the tea I drink.... is zero cals since I usually use a white or green tea with only sweetener if anything in it. If I do put milk or if I am being decadent creamer I do not count it as water. As for pop or other carbonated drinks I never count them.
    I usually make a pot of tea in the morning and one at night then whatever fluids, again usually green tea or some water thoughout the day.
  • pgforte
    pgforte Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I always heard that you can't count caffeinated drinks as part of your water intake as they are diuretics, so they don't help keep you hydrated. In fact, you're supposed to drink more water to counteract the caffeine!

However, I just read an article that suggests 8 glasses a day isn't enough. According to this, you need to divide your weight in half and drink that many ounces per day. :/http://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/23621/lose_weight/drink_water_to_lose_weight.html
  • samanthajayne13
    Options
    So far the most water that I have been able to drink a day is about 4 oz. I have tried to drink more but I can't seem to do it. I have even tried drinking more of the flavored waters that have 0 calories in them but all I've been able to do of them is drink 1 liter of them in a day. But I keep trying everyday to get my water intake up but I can't do it.
  • HealthyLivingKathy
    HealthyLivingKathy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I always heard that you can't count caffeinated drinks as part of your water intake as they are diuretics, so they don't help keep you hydrated. In fact, you're supposed to drink more water to counteract the caffeine!

I've read the same. I only drink de-caffeinated tea and do count it.

I've read that we should drink half our body weight in ounces of water. For example, if you weigh 150 (I wish - LOL) you should drink 75 ounces.
  • DebraParmley
    Options
    Here is an article I wrote on my blog about water and weight loss.

http://debraparmley.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=34:water-why-it-is-essential-to-good-health-and-weight-loss&Itemid=1

I admit it is still an issue I struggle with, even knowing why I need to drink enough water.

One thing I did recently was get some metal water bottles to use when traveling, going to the gym etc. This will cut down on buying the bottled water, which to me doesn't always taste so good.