Yay or Nay to the rolling pin?

Options
TRHuston
TRHuston Posts: 69 Member
Hi gang. As the weather has been getting nicer, time in the saddle has been increasing along with muscle soreness. I've read reports on people taking ice baths post ride, donning compression gear, chugging chocolate milk (my fav). I have tried all of these, but lately, I feel lumpy and knotty still the next day. My husband is saying I just need to work it out with a rolling pin. He does it all the time and is happy as a clam. When I've tried, I don't know if I'm not pushing hard enough, but I don't think it's doing anything. Maybe it's just difficult to roll out the backs of your own legs, and when someone else tries it, the don't know where the lumps are. Just wondering what everyone else thought about this. (Also, my triceps are killing me and I have a 30+ MTB race this weekend, any advice there?)

Replies

• sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I would invest in a foam roller. You can use your body weight to roll out your muscles and it is a little softer than a rolling pin.
  • kate_n_pjs
    kate_n_pjs Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    We have a foam roller and a long stick with big beads on it. (I can not remember what the term for this is, but it is similar to a rolling pin.) I LOVE THEM!!! they are my best friends...get one and use it. You will feel amazing.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Give these guys a listen.
    http://www.cycling360media.com/bike-tech-and-gear/self-massage-for-cyclists/
    Lots of great info and stuff for cyclists here. Love this podcast.
  • bethlikesbikes
    Options
    A foam roller is probably one of the best tools you can use after riding. You can try to do self massage, but a foam roller allows you to apply more pressure. The key is to roll slowly, nice big strokes and to stop and sink into the places that are sore. Start with the calves, which will help release the hamstrings and gently stretch the muscles as you roll. People think that massage has to be deep to work, but this isn't necessarily true.

Other considerations: Are you stretching gently after you ride? It's also important to consume enough carbs during exercise and a 4:1 carb/protein ratio recovery food/drink right after you finish. I also really like compression gear. Does it work? Who knows, but it does make my legs feel better the next day.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    4:1 recovery drink within 30 minutes of finishing the ride (make it up and leave it in the fridge ready to drink as you walk in the door) - finish it, shower, and half a hour lying on the bed (preferably fast asleep!), with your legs vertical, leaning up the wall (undignified looking, and has to be done after the shower, or you'll be re-decorating monthly :lol: - but it works.)