Help

Options
XtyAnn17
XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
So as the story goes I'm 273 lbs which probably isn't helping my situation, but I have seriously bad feet. Some mornings I can barley make it to the bathroom my feet hurt so bad, mainly my heels. I have spent almost 275 bucks on trying to find a shoe so I can do this with no luck. My last pair were so hard my heel was killing me I had to take them off (still need to return them). I need to see a podiatrist but I have no insurance till December so I'm stuck in this rut. Most days I'm limping around the house. I take alieve daily it doesn't help the pain

I stretch, ice, nothing works.

So does anyone have any advice on how I can get running? It's not because of my endurance but only because of my heels. I currently have oth power step orthotics, which aren't doing the trick. I'm at a loss and I feel like its totally holding me back. It sucks. Blah.

Replies

• Nicoleo1
    Nicoleo1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    We have a place called "the Running Room" here. My friend was having all sorts of problems with her feet when she ran (and just in general) so she went in there and they assessed her feet, her gait (how she walks) and all that stuff. They told her she walks on the outsides of her feet and because she has a high arch she doesn't need support under there -like she thought she needed her arch to be able to "spring"... So she spend a couple a hundred bucks, but over night her feet are feeling better.
    There must be a place like that to try...???
    And as far as starting running -start slow! You can do this! (I'd be inclined to check out a running store (a good one) before I began running if I were you) Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • davists
    davists Posts: 67
    Options
    I worked for a podiatrist for a while and my husband suffers from this. Hopefully this information helps.

Plantar fasciitis (PLAN-tur fas-e-I-tis) pain and inflammation of a thick band of tissue, called the plantar fascia, that runs across the bottom of your foot and connects your heel bone to your toes. It is one of the most common causes of heel pain.

Plantar fasciitis commonly causes stabbing pain that usually occurs with your very first steps in the morning. Once your foot limbers up, the pain of plantar fasciitis can, but it may return after long periods of standing or after getting up from a seated position.

Plantar fasciitis is particularly common in runners, people who are overweight, women who are pregnant and those who wear shoes with inadequate support.
    Symptoms can develop gradually, affects just one foot, although it can occur in both feet at the same time
    It is worst with the first few steps after awakening, although it can also be triggered by long periods of standing or getting up from a seated position. Feels like a stab in the heel of your foot
    Causes
    Under normal circumstances, your plantar fascia acts like a shock-absorbing bowstring, supporting the arch in your foot. If tension on that bowstring becomes too great, it can create small tears in the fascia. Repetitive stretching and tearing can cause the fascia to become irritated or inflamed.

Risk factors
    Factors that may increase your risk of developing plantar fasciitis include: Plantar fasciitis is most common between the ages of 40 and 60. Women are more likely than are men to develop plantar fasciitis. Being flat-footed, having a high arch or even having an abnormal pattern of walking can adversely affect the way weight is distributed when you're standing and put added stress on the plantar fascia. Excess pounds put extra stress on your plantar fascia. Occupations that keep you on your feet. Avoid loose, thin-soled shoes, as well as shoes without enough arch support or flexible padding to absorb shock. If you regularly wear high heels, your Achilles tendon — which is attached to your heel — can contract and shorten, causing strain on the tissue around your heel.

Ignoring plantar fasciitis may result in chronic heel pain that hinders your regular activities. You may also develop foot, knee, hip or back problems because of the way plantar fasciitis changes your walking.

While you may initially consult your family physician, he or she may refer you to a doctor who specializes in foot disorders or sports medicine.

Treatments and drugs
    About 90 percent of the people who have plantar fasciitis recover with conservative treatments in just a few months.

Medications
    Medications to ease symptoms of plantar fasciitis may include:

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). NSAIDs, such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others) and naproxen (Aleve), may ease pain antinflammation, although they won't treat the underlying problem. Steroids either orally or by injection.

Read the full article at http://www.bing.com/health/article/mayo-MADS00508/Plantar-fasciitis?q=plantar+fasciitis&qpvt=plantar+fasciitis
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I agree that you may likely have plantar fasciitis. I had pain from it on and off for a long time then one day the pain just wouldn't go away. It was hard to walk and I did find that crocs helped. I did go to the podiatrist and got a cortisone shot - 60% betterk, then I got another shot and 90% better. I continue to stretch and the heel pain is pretty rare now.

Stretch your foot several times a day. They also sell guards for plantar fasciitis to wear in bed that can really help. Freeze a water bottle and use that to ice your foot in the arch and heel while rolling it. Ice it a few times a day. Anti-inflammatories help as well. Take them religiously and make sure you eat when you take them so it doesn't irritate your stomach.

The running store advice for shoes is great. I did that and they put me on a treadmill with different shoes to get the right ones to correct how I walk/run. I am at a similar weight so I wanted good shoes to reduce problems with my feet and knees. That helped with the pain I got in my shins from the tunning too.

If you have no insurance, can you qualify for state insurance or reduced cost care?
  • ilsaee
    ilsaee Posts: 4
    Options
    I have a questions regarding measuring by time or distance. I would like to measure by distance, however the treadmill at my gym has mile measurements, such as 1.2 miles, 1.3 miles, etc... The training in the beginning is measuring by 100yards. So how do I convert that? Ugh... sorry I should have paid attention in math class.
  • EMagineBeingEMazing
    Options
    I developed plantar fasciltis as well after packing on the pounds. The doctor said basically his first recommended "cure" would be losing the weight, and I have found that as it has decreased, so has the pain. (Just throwing that in there so you know this will very likely go away.) What helped before that was buying a pair of flip-flops with a great arch (got mine at Academy) - I prefer to be shoe-LESS at every possible moment, and this was obviously making things worse, especially after moving into a new house with tiled flooring throughout! So now I wear them around the house AT ALL TIMES, and it has improved tremendously. I still have issues if I am tramping around on hard surfaces or standing the bulk of the day, but I've learned to plan ahead for that and ibuprofin is my best friend! You've gotten some great recommendations here so I hope this helps.