knees

Options
2»

Replies

• cryptique
    cryptique Posts: 28
    Options
    I rock the elliptical and it helps me burn a ton of calories without damaging my effed-up knees.

I would love to start biking again, but my main issue is bicycle seats. I recently tried a half-hour introductory Spinning® class and couldn't deal with the seat (even with a cushion slipped over it). A few years back I injured my tailbone (it took MONTHS to heal) and it's been pretty sensitive since then.

Any recommendations on comfortable bicycle seats for a wide-load *kitten* like mine? I don't think I'll be able to do any serious cycling until I find a solution. I play drums (or used to, anyway) and I've found a few drum thrones that are pretty comfortable -- maybe I can get creative ... anyone know how to weld?
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I went to a seminar put on by New Balance last night. The basics are on their website. Search New Balance Good Form Running.

It is very informative and I got a lot out of it.
  • liveonlocation
    liveonlocation Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Guys, I'm at 380. What do you recommend bike wise thats not going to cost me a grand or more.

I have a Norco mountain bike, (i thinks its a Katmandu) i keep the tires at full pressure and put on stronger pedals. I think I paid $600 Canadian for it. Ive been riding it since I was 450lbs, I'm 380 right now. I have to get the rear wheel trued up again as it has a bit of a wobble, no big deal.
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Guys, I'm at 380. What do you recommend bike wise thats not going to cost me a grand or more.

I have a Norco mountain bike, (i thinks its a Katmandu) i keep the tires at full pressure and put on stronger pedals. I think I paid $600 Canadian for it. Ive been riding it since I was 450lbs, I'm 380 right now. I have to get the rear wheel trued up again as it has a bit of a wobble, no big deal.

I'm at almost 360 now and my coworker who lost 100 lbs is selling me his old one I think. He rode it when he started at 350 so... Thanks guys.. I'm totally inspired with this stuff.
  • mrincredible93
    Options
    I can't do the treadmill at all. It screws with my already operated on meniscus. The elliptical can be good but your body needs new challenges and changes to the routine to keep you from hitting a plateau. My gym has a couple different kinds of elliptical machines that I try to rotate through and use the random or manual programs to keep it fresh. I also go to a spinning class. Nothing I've done so far has me dripping in sweat more than a 45 minute spin class. There are guys bigger than me in the class and I've got nothing but respect for them!