When breaking things off with someone.......

Options
Meghan0116
Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
Is it better to do it in the morning or wait until later in the day so he is closer to being finished with work????? Yes, I am going to be a weenie. This is a conversation I definitely cannot have face to face.

Replies

• chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I say once he is done work, and you are too. No need to have the convo when you guys are both getting ready for work/ or working.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Do it after he gets out of work.
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Definitely after work.......
  • Steelheart7
    Steelheart7 Posts: 1,056
    Options
    Eeek .. what are you going to do if he texts you during the day tho? Act like nothing is wrong? Ignore? lol.
  • Meghan0116
    Options
    He already has. I don't know what to do. :(
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

Just say, "can I talk to you later...busy day" or something to that affect. Then give him the news after work/early evening.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options

Text back "We need to have a talk later"
    He will (if he is any kind of bright) know something is up and have a pretty good idea of what it is.
    I am not saying play a game and if he pushes it then just do it and be done,whether via text or phone.

There is no perfect answer.
    Everything is going to hurt,accept that.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Do it on Friday, after work.

I broke up with a girl on a Thursday night and she exploded on me for doing it to her when she had to go to work the next day.
  • Meghan0116
    Options
    Do it on Friday, after work.

I broke up with a girl on a Thursday night and she exploded on me for doing it to her when she had to go to work the next day.

He is leaving for Cali for training this weekend. Wouldn't it be worse to do on Friday? What if he wants to see me tonight?

This was never going to be long term because he is going overseas in June for a minimum of 4 months but I am ready to have it over now. Ugh. :(
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    Is it better to do it in the morning or wait until later in the day so he is closer to being finished with work????? Yes, I am going to be a weenie. This is a conversation I definitely cannot have face to face.

Its never a good time for that to happen, but if you want it to end, I would agree with after work. How long have you been seeing him? The reason I ask is because I would think his emotional response to the rejection would be less if you have only been seeing each other for a short time.
  • Steelheart7
    Steelheart7 Posts: 1,056
    Options

Just say, "can I talk to you later...busy day" or something to that affect. Then give him the news after work/early evening.

Yeh .. probably this.

Or ..

Battery on my phone is dying
    Just boarding my plane .. have to turn off my phone ..
    Building is on fire .. must run to safety ..
    They are taking down the cell tower my phone pings from .. won't be able to chat today
    No hablo ingles???
    I'm sorry .. who is this? Do I know you?
    Pick me up for our date at 7pm Steve .. who is Steve .. oh, did I forget to tell you Paul? hahahahaha
    I am really a man.

All equally good I'd say.
  • Meghan0116
    Options

Its never a good time for that to happen, but if you want it to end, I would agree with after work. How long have you been seeing him? The reason I ask is because I would think his emotional response to the rejection would be less if you have only been seeing each other for a short time.

It has only been a few weeks but he seems a wee bit attached. Hopefully he isn't.
  • Meghan0116
    Options

Yeh .. probably this.

Or ..

Battery on my phone is dying
    Just boarding my plane .. have to turn off my phone ..
    Building is on fire .. must run to safety ..
    They are taking down the cell tower my phone pings from .. won't be able to chat today
    No hablo ingles???
    I'm sorry .. who is this? Do I know you?
    Pick me up for our date at 7pm Steve .. who is Steve .. oh, did I forget to tell you Paul? hahahahaha
    I am really a man.

All equally good I'd say.
  • Meghan0116
    Options
    bahahahahaha
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    .... Whatever you do, definitely don't just jump into it through text.

Example of what not to do:

After two days of radio silence, I sent a text around noon yesterday... this is what ensued.

Me: Hey, hope you're doing okay. 12:29 PM
    Chris Irishboxer: Hey there, I am. Hows ur day going? 12:46 PM
    Me: Busy but good. It's been really quiet from your end. Figured I'd check in... 12:52 PM
    Chris Irishboxer: Yeah, Im sorry. I really didnt want 2 do this over text, but I cant see you like I have been anymore. This is hard b/c I really like u. This time its been me 12:56 PM
    Chris Irishboxer: having the panic attack, cause I really hate 2 do this. Im really sorry :( 12:56 PM
    Me: What happened? 12:56 PM
    Chris Irishboxer: Sum1 that I had been very in love with came back. I didnt plan on this or Id have never put us in this situation 12:58 PM
    Me: I see. 12:58 PM
    Me: I am disappointed though. 12:59 PM
    Chris Irishboxer: Im really sorry. I care 4 u a lot, + the last thing I want is 2 b hurtful 1:00 PM
    Chris Irishboxer: I would really like if we could stay friends! 1:01 PM
    Me: Chris, it's okay. I am just a bit surprised and somewhat saddened. I thought we had great potential. 1:02 PM
    Chris Irishboxer: Yeah, i agree. Ive been wanting 2 ask details bout montreal + ur games, but didnt want 2 send mixed messages. 1:09 PM
    Chris Irishboxer: I really didnt mean 4 this 2 happen 1:35 PM
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Someone seriously cares about missing a day of work? You call off sick the next morning and are done with it.
    There are about 15 gazillions days of work in your life... One more, one less ya know, you won't even notice.

Do it any time, evening preferably (not talking about breaking up with the love of your life after 10 years ofc).

Note: Irish Boxer is annoying with his "u", "4", "2".
    Reply: "Y U no type wordz? b2hard4u?"
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    do it as long as possible before his vacation if you can.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Someone seriously cares about missing a day of work? You call off sick the next morning and are done with it.
    There are about 15 gazillions days of work in your life... One more, one less ya know, you won't even notice.

Do it any time, evening preferably (not talking about breaking up with the love of your life after 10 years ofc).

Note: Irish Boxer is annoying with his "u", "4", "2".
    Reply: "Y U no type wordz? b2hard4u?"

Lulz. Agreed. We had quite a few chats about it.

Heck, I knew it wasn't meant to be for most of it, yet I still put some effort into making it work from my end, so I feel sucky about it nonetheless. Oh well, onto whatever's next :wink:
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Example of what not to do:

After two days of radio silence, I sent a text around noon yesterday... this is what ensued.

And see, folks disagree with me for just taking a guy's silence as loss of interest. But this kind of thing is exactly why. Most of the time, a guy who seems into me but goes radio silent for a couple of days is either not interested or working/travelling (but if I see them on fb and they haven't responded I know they’re just not interested and using the travel as an excuse).
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Jesus, just do it as soon as you know you want to.

There is no perfect time. As soon as you know is the best time.