Hello All

Options
accusima
accusima Posts: 38 Member
After smoking for about 10 years (I just turned 27), I am drawing the line in the sand and setting May as my month to quit. I have quit in the past for a month here and there, but always ended up going back, usually due to stress. I don't get much support at home, my husband usually just tells me to smoke instead of helping me with the withdraws, which I try to control as much as possible, but moodiness is going to happen! I'm not that concerned with weight gain while quitting, as I plan on continuing my exercise and hoping that quitting will help with my stamina. I guess I'm just looking for support and motivation to go from being a smoker to being an ex-smoker.

Replies

• dmarie1181
    dmarie1181 Posts: 23
    Options
    Hi! I quit smoking almost 4 months ago :bigsmile: I started smoking when I was 15 and I am now 30. I feel so much better now. It wasn't nearly as painful as I imagined it would be. I was a bit moody the first month or two but that will pass. The longer you go without a cigarette, the easier it is. Sorry your husband is not very supportive. Is he a smoker?

You can do this! Just think of how great it will be to be free from cigarettes! You'll save money, smell better and breath better! You can add me as friend if you like!
  • kbryantjr
    kbryantjr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your encouragement. I have recently started eating more healthy and working out some. Now, im trying to figure out when to quit smoking. I dont want to over do everything since this is week 2. Any suggestions?
  • dmarie1181
    Options
    Thanks for your encouragement. I have recently started eating more healthy and working out some. Now, im trying to figure out when to quit smoking. I dont want to over do everything since this is week 2. Any suggestions?

Way to go on starting a healthy life style! I'd say go ahead and quit now! For me quitting has made it easier for me to be healthier because instead of spending so much time smoking I can plan and prepare meals and workout. I actuallly haven't gained any weight since quitting. I used the nicotine patches the first few days and that helped (I just got the Wal-mart brand). That helped a lot the first few days and I actually quit wearing them because I had forgotten to put one on a couple of mornings and left them at home. After 2 days with no nicotine at all I realized I was fine, I didn't need them, but the patches I feel definitely helped me make it through my first few days! You may be different though! When you feel like smoking take a quick walk, drink a glass of water, or something that you can do for a few minutes that will help you relax and get your mind off smoking. Cravings will pass after a few minutes and get fewer and farther between. When you're not spending all that time smoking and spending all that money on it that means more time and money to focus on the healthier life you're living!

I was a smoker for 15 years. I'm sad to say that I wasted so much time and money. I smoked through both my pregnancies- I'm definitely NOT proud of that, smoked everytime I got in the car, after every meal, every chance I got. I dreaded going places where smoking wasn't allowed. Most of my friends and co-workers smoke and my husband smokes. Now when I look at all these smokers I'm so glad I quit. I promise you when you make it through the first few days you'll be fine!
  • kbryantjr
    kbryantjr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thats amazing. Thank you for sharing. I'll set up a quit date and prep for that and stick with it. I have quit a few times before but picked it up again due to withdrawal problems. I am more motivated now and will take those tips into action! Thanks again :)
  • dmarie1181
    Options
    No problem! Good luck on your quit and feel free to contact me if you need support!
  • accusima
    Options
    Thank you so much for your response! Great job quitting, I hope I can follow your pattern! My husband is actually an ex-smoker, but will occasionally light up, usually when we're out drinking. Most of my friends are also smokers, which does make it hard to go out.

I just smoked my last cigarette in the pack tonight and I'm going to try to go cold turkey from here out. I haven't tried the patch before, but won't be able to get any until my next pay check which isn't for a while. I tried the gum before and it was just so nasty! I couldn't stand the taste. That was the last time I quit, which lasted about a month. I think my biggest thing is learning to deal with stress without that cigarette for relief.
  • nannanorem
    nannanorem Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    :smokin: I've tried 5x to quit. I've tried cold turkey, the patch, Chantix,(sp)x2, welbutrin, even the gum, but I haven't been able to go for more than a few weeks then I start up again. :sad: I was wondering since I am now exercising , if that would help my cravings and my mood swings from not smoking. I am afraid to stop for fear of gaining back what I have lost and then some. I have had weight problems all my life and losing weight for me is tough. Also I am a nurse and I am afraid the stress from my job will get to me. I don't have any way to exercise off my stress at work, smoking does that for me. I know I can take certain foods to work to munch on when I have cravings but I want to be careful there since I work 7p-7a shift 3-4x a week and I have been trying to avoid eating after midnight. Any suggestions??
  • nannanorem
    Options
    Also my husband smokes and some of my co-workers
  • accusima
    Options
    Stress is one of the hardest things for me to have to re-learn how to deal with without smoking. I'm on my first official day one, again, lol. I think I've lost count of all the day ones, but quitting just got kinda solidified for me last night. I learned a friend of mine, who I hadn't seen in awhile, has been diagnosed with lung cancer and has been given a 15% chance of survival... sooo.... time to get my *kitten* in gear.

I work from home, so when the cravings hit, I'm usually left with the fridge to sate. I plan on using my exercise bike and stepper instead, as well as skittles, those helped last time :)
  • nannanorem
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your friend. My dad had a triple bypass and lung cancer, passed away in 2009. You'd think that would give me reason to quit but it hasn't. I'll work on it and you hang in there too!
  • dmarie1181
    Options
    accusima - How's it going?? I hope it hasn't been too hard. It does get easier all the time though!

nannanorem - I really think working out is what helped me quit. And I haven't gained any weight since I quit. I think doing anything that you can do for a few minutes to get your mind off it will help. Taking a quick 5-10 walk does wonders for cravings and stress!
  • capricorn0120
    capricorn0120 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    It's been a month now that I quit. It took me 6 tries in 2 years before I was able to stay completely smoke-free- not a puff nothing! Plain and simple, it's hard to quit. Whether you try to quit cold turkey or use a nicotine replacement therapy or pills, it takes will power. I tried everything from the patch, nicotine gum, different prescription pills. Finally, I had enough. I threw out the rest of the cigarettes I had and haven't looked back once. Don't get me wrong, the tempation and craving is always there but I know I want to live as long as I can and that means NO SMOKING!

It's really hard when my fiance's mother and my son smoke around me but I won't give in. Even gaining 20 pounds didn't stop me going back to smoking. My life is worth more than having even one puff.

It's hard but so worth it. You just have to keep thinking how much easier you'll be able to breathe and how much longer you can live.