Tool to calculate calories

Options
RandaDerkson
RandaDerkson Posts: 18 Member
Has anyone found a tool online that will calculate how many calories you need for BF for your weight and height? I understand everyone is different and have a hard time thinking that everyone needs the stereotypical amount that I keep reading about.

I am 156 lbs 5'3 5 weeks postpartum and I'm currently having 1850-2000 calories but I'm afraid I'm not consuming not enough, but at the same time I am afraid of gaining.

Any advice?

Replies

• Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    First of all Congrats! Secondly, myself and my bf friends on here just go by whatever MFP says and then we add in -500 calories for BF and eat those 500 calories as well. I would LOVE to know what the proper amount for my body weight would be! I've started researching it so if I come up with something I will get back to ya!
  • bluex232
    bluex232 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    When I started I didn't even realize there was a breast feeding option to enter anywhere on the site, so I was reading online that each ounce burns about 20 calories, I just made an exercise for my diary and I just put it as 20 calories per ounce and then instead of minutes, I just put in the number of ounces (I think by daughter at 8 months now gets about 6 pounces each feeding based on pumping results). Then I just try to eat a good portion of those calories back, but I usually don't end up eating them all back (usually burn between 400-600 caloires a day and usually have 100-300 left at the end of the day.) Mfp has me at 1200 net a day.
  • jcmjim22
    jcmjim22 Posts: 162
    Options
    I also went by MFP and then added 500 calories because that's what my doctor told me to do. I've had 200-300 calories left over the past couple of days. I'm concerned about whether I should be eating them all back as my supply has decreased over the last week. I only pump and track how much I get each day. I don't really want to eat if I'm not hungry. I might not be eating enough either...I haven't gained anything in the past few weeks but I haven't lost either. Let us know if you find something. :)
  • RandaDerkson
    RandaDerkson Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I'm going to start doing what MFP says and then add 500. I'm currently eating more, not supply as much milk but still losing but I don't feel that it's correct so I'll give this new way a go next week when I start my CLX/Turbo Fire hybrid.
  • sunshine001
    Options
    How does the breast feeding recording option work? Where is it?
  • nickiog
    nickiog Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    @ sunshine001 ....type in breastfeeding in the food search and a few different options come up.

my dr told me to just add 500 extra cals to what i eat also...right now im about 175 and 5'6
  • slived
    slived Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I simply changed my exercise level to "active". I'm only 5'1" and started at 160 lbs and it put me at 1590 per day. I usually went over that - to 1900, but lost about 2 lbs per week, with exercise about 3x per week. Thankfully, I did not have any change in supply. Although I must say, on a few days that I only ended up eating 1200, I did notice a decrease in supply. Now that I'm down 25, and baby is older (9 months now), I try to eat 1200-1500 and exercise 3x/week. Even if I screw up, I still lose 1 - 1.5 lbs this way.
    If I'm hungry, I eat a bit more that day. And I try to stay hydrated. Lastly, if supply is low I take 3 Fenugreek capsules and that usually makes me produce a bit more milk over the next 12 hours or so. Good luck to you all!!!!
  • adrienneosuna
    Options
    Hi ladies!!!! Here is a link to a breastfeeding calorie counter...

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/breastfeeding_calorie_calculator.htm

sorry if you can't click on it, you may have to copy and paste!!! Be honest about your activity level. I say little to no exercise than eat some of my exercise calories back.

:)
  • KLSnyde
    KLSnyde Posts: 3
    Options
    Hello! I am new here. What is MFP? I am trying to figure out how many calories to eat while breastfeeding and trying to loose weight also. I see some of you have said to add 500 calories, is that to what the calculator says you should consume?
  • jcmjim22
    jcmjim22 Posts: 162
    Options
    Hello! I am new here. What is MFP? I am trying to figure out how many calories to eat while breastfeeding and trying to loose weight also. I see some of you have said to add 500 calories, is that to what the calculator says you should consume?

MFP is My Fitness Pal. What I did was use MFP to see what it recommended for me to eat. I don't manually add in 500 calories. Instead I use a food entry of breastfeeding that is in the database that subtracts 20 calories per oz that I pump. I think ladies that nurse might just manually change their daily calorie allowance and 500 to whatever MFP suggested. Hope this helps. :)