Just went through stage 1 exercises with a PT

Options
Snapplejac
Snapplejac Posts: 65 Member
Hello, I decided to have a PT session to go through technique of the exercises in Stage 1 - I learnt loads. Just thought i'd share the key things I'd learnt with anyone who's interested/just starting out.

* Firstly he thought the exercises in the book were good and said they were the sort of things he does and recommends. (Felt good to have another opinion on!)

* One thing I hadn't considered was the tempo of the movements. Have been advised lift for a count of '1' and then return slowly to start position for a count of '3' (2 if you are struggling!)

* I was really struggling with lunges and balance. He's bought my weights down from 7kg in each hand to 3kg and I'm focussing on getting the back knee down as far to the ground as possible. Even though I knew technique was more important than the weight, I can really feel the difference now. I definitely didn't need to be using 7 kg before! Same for the seated rows, reduced the weight, altered the technique - feels a lot better/harder.

* Pace - we pushed through the B set really fast which kept my heart rate really high. Although I didn't feel I'd had my 60s rest, by the time I'd set the next exercise up and had a bit of water it was about that. Really kept it moving. I definitely sweated a lot more. He said a lot of guys come to the gym, lift heavy and then talk non stop - that's not really the aim!

* Deadlifts - feel a lot better doing them now I've been shown. If you're in any doubt I'd definitely recommend asking someone.

* He thought the prone jack knife was quite a horrible exercise for stage 1 work out!

* Even though the book advises against it, he's got me doing push ups on my knees and using a small height step bench. I'm really useless at these and was struggling to find something the right height. It works a treat :)

There you go. I'll probably be unble to walk tomorrow since I did the whole of workout B and then one set of everything in workout A afterwards!

Replies

• laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I did the same thing, but was almost through stage 1 when I hired her.

You'll be glad to know that in the new book he has out (For Life) there is no set rest period - he says until you recover/feel you can do the next set/exercise in peak form. So maybe it's less than 60. For me it definitely depends on the move.

I would agree with him on prone jack knife - luckily I wasn't doing them quite right in the beginning :) And I also had a year of pilates behind me so I have pretty good core/arm strength; they were still killer.

The other thing my PT didn't love was starting with real deadlifts. And in the new book he doesn't - they don't come until level 4 and if you can't lift 135, he wants them on risers (unless you have rubber bumpers). He starts you off with hinges that aren't deadlifts and then the first DL you see is romanian and the next is rack deadlifts.

Keep working on those pushups - you'll be amazed how much progress you can make.

Thanks for sharing the tips.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I'm so glad you gave yourself solace. I'm also glad that you found a trainer that would work with you so well and embrace what you are trying to do. Honestly, I've seen this go the other way as well, so many trainers are awesome and truly embrace women's heavy lifting, but so many others are stuck with ho-science.
  • Jenn_W
    Jenn_W Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    ****I am probably highjacking your thread and I apologize ahead of time! ****

I went to a local gym last night for an orientation at the gym I plan on starting the program. I filled out the little questionnaire about what I want from the gym and the only thing I answered was 'heavy lifting/strength training'... This, of course, took the guy by surprise. I told him that I bike to work 5 days a week (2x30mins a day with an average HR from 155-165) that was as much cardio as I needed; I don't care about your machines. I am here to learn how to lift the right way and lift heavy stuff! Then I pulled out my nicely (slightly OCD-ish) laid out folder with each workout planned, The exercise, the proper way to do, and pictures.... He was rather impressed by my 'plan'... I didn't bring the book, because it is on my Kindle - and had a copy of everything I needed. My hopes was that he would literary walk my around the weight room and show me the equipment.... This did not happen because he got hung up on the details of NROL4W... '60 seconds isn't enough time between sets of squats' , 'ONLY this small number of exercises for 6 weeks' , etc... His has a master in physiology - So he has his own opinions on things. I am going back tonight to finish up (I had to leave to pick up my son from swimming lessons), so we can finish our debate.

Snapplejac, it seems like your PT was good, but had his own feelings about the work out and 'tweaked' the workout just a bit.

To my question for anyone else who has dealt with a PT: Has anyone had problems/resistant/etc from a PT that didn't like/approve the program and try to change it? How did you react?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Honestly, everyone has their own ideas about how a program should be. If the PT pushes back just tell him, look it even says in the book that you can do it differently and get results but THAT'S not this plan THAT'S a different plan which will yeild different results and you want to do THIS plan. One of 2 things will happen, either he'll get with the program, or he won't. There are later parts of the workouts with less reps that have longer rests. Also, to address his rest time, show him the explanation that it's really longer rest for the setted exercises, it just happens to be active rest as you're working different muscle groups. Also, I don't understand the "only this small number of exercises for 6 weeks" comment because they are compound exercises so why do you need more? His master's is great, but this is the program you've selected and need support doing, maybe when you're done with this in 6 months or so you can try his program. Right now you're just making sure you have the equipment you need to do the program you want and have the proper form so as to not get hurt along the way.
  • Snapplejac
    Options
    Yeah I was really happy with the PT, he was pleased that I wanted to lift heavy (it's why I picked up in the first place - he showed me around the gym and was happy talking about why lifting is so good for girls) and that I was more keen on physical/visible results than a number on the scale. We actually ran over my scheduled hour by 20minutes!

I didnt feel that he really pushed back or disputed what I was saying or suggesting, aside the push ups. He did say that if I was a guy, he'd have me doing the same style until i could go to my feet. (which made me feel better) Push ups against a surface at 45degrees is great if you have something you can use, but I guess you need to modify it if what your using prevents you doing something properly.

Jenn - he may have a Masters, but that doesn't mean he has as much experience as the those who set the programme. :) I agree with the above poster, tell him you want to try this way first - and if you get no results by the end you'll come to try his way! This sort of reaction is exactly why I didn't take up my free session when I joined. I know what I wanted to do and didn't want to fight for it!
  • Snapplejac
    Options
    I wonder whether ti's a girl thing? A guy has to know better than a girl, right? Or do you think they're like this with all "new people"
  • Jenn_W
    Jenn_W Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I wonder whether ti's a girl thing? A guy has to know better than a girl, right? Or do you think they're like this with all "new people"

He kept repeating over that I was the most knowledge women/girl he had ever dealt with. I said I don't want any B/S about 'toning' 'high reps/low weights'...The fact that I had a exact plan, impressed him. (We chatted with another PT - and he commented as well that I was one of the most informed persons entering in the gym, but he too had his own ideas.)

I think part of the wanting to change the NROL4W around might just be that I wouldn't need a PT. I have a plan. I don't need to pay ungodly amounts of money for a PT to wander around after me. I know exactly what I need/want to do (ie see my OCD Folder). I am sure the fact that I have lady parts puts me as a target to make money... I walk past this gym everyday after picking up my son... Guess which sex, I see through the window, is always with the PT's? Women, of course!?!

I have my Kindle with me today for my meeting (not sure if I am meeting him again... So I might have to start this fight over)... He kept asking if I knew anyone who had done the program and had great results, not personally but via forums and MFP I have read a lot... Maybe I need to print out pictures of some of the ladies! He also asked if it was for beginners, since I haven't been in a weight room since HS 10 years ago.

I do plan on sticking to my guns (aka plan) and if I don't get what I want I will go back to the YMCA (which has a sad little weight room, but a super friendly/unpushy staff). This place is cheapier and has a large free weight room.

Also, he said how 'wonderful' TRX was for women... But those are special classes you have to take the a trainer. $$ (I am not knocking TRX - but I would rather buy it and have it at my home.)