Kindergarten and Setting up for Success

Options
cessnaholly
cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
So...my kids do a mix of online fun learning games, PBS kids, arts/crafts, and small learning projects. Lately though, my 6 year old has not wanted to do school. Even though after I make her do it, she says thank you and wants me to make her do it again the next day. I've tried letting her pick from all her school options. I've tried making a list. I've tried different times of the day (after dinner seems to work best for her). I've tried having a snack with school. I've tried equating finishing school with fun rewards. I've tried explaining that her "job" is school - the same way I have a job and her dad has a job. She's smart. She just doesn't like to sit down and do it.

How do you get your young ones to like school and want to learn?

Replies

• LKissam
    LKissam Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have this problem with my 6 year old and reading.. he doesn't like to very much but i have him read one book to me and then I will read to him, and just take a break from learning or "school work" and do some baking.. they do the measuring and stuff so they get math even though it isn't actually school.. They learn from all kinds of things so if she doesn't want to learn maybe find something fun to do that doesn't seem like learning. Hope that helps some. I'm still trying to figure out things for my 3 year old LOL :O)
  • cessnaholly
    Options
    I post this and then the girl brings me one of her workbooks and asks if it is ok if she does 6 pages of subtraction.
  • JennsRAQ
    JennsRAQ Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Reading, puzzles, mazes and dot to dots, cutting and pasting, playing with magnetic letters and numbers on a cookie sheet, playdoh and bendaroos, board games, educational TV shows (like the Planet Earth series, for example)... it all counts as school around here!
  • cessnaholly
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I know it all counts. Her new thing (this week) is that she wants to do 6 pages in her workbooks each day - because she's 6. And she is doing a project for a "Famous People/Geography" homeschool Fair friday night. so she's working on that.