Getting frustrated with my numbers.

Options
I had the RNY April 11th 2012. I'm almost 4 weeks out. I went from 248-229 ( 19 pounds) 10 pounds the first week, 6 pounds the 2nd week and 4 pounds the 3rd week. The losses need to go up..not down and it''s getting me worried.

Replies

• kriskaryl
    kriskaryl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Just looked at your diary for today. Where is your protein? Are you not drinking protein shakes? That is the key to using your tool. Three things, Protein, Water, Exercise. But 20 lbs gone is 20 LBS GONE...great job and it will come off.
  • WeightlossChristy
    Options
    Having a protein shake for a snack.. just added it :)
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I had my RNY 3.75 years ago. My first 2 days post-op I was on clear liquids. Starting at day 3 I got in 80 grams of protein a day (4 slim fast low carb shakes a day to start with) and raised it from there. After i could eat more, I got in close to 200 grams a day. I believe it was a big part in my losing 200 pounds and keeping it off. I still get in over 100 grams a day. Up your protein.
  • TraciLee36
    TraciLee36 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve on 12/28/11 and I am getting flustrated too. Thanks I am upping my protein as I type and sipping on a protein drink. What kid of protein drinks does everyone use?
  • Scribetoo
    Scribetoo Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Christy,

Do yourself a favor and don't try to control it too much. If you are doing what your doctor says, then you are doing the right thing. You don't really need to worry about calorie intake right now or managing that in any way.

My surgeon explained to me that no matter what I did during my honeymoon period, I was going to lose weight. It's not always at a speed that I would want.. and I might still see fluctuations up and down (which is why he recommends and I echo his suggestion of REMOVING YOUR SCALE from your house for about the first six months so you only weigh in either at his office or on a monthly basis).. but the overall trend will be DRAMATIC and DOWNWARD. He was right. If you go to ObesityHelp.com and look up Gypsy Blossom on The Kane Center, I think you will be able to see my initial weightloss trend.. and it looks like a heart monitor moving downward.. sometimes small losses, sometimes big ones.. but always primarily downward and dramatically.

Stick to the basics:

Eat well and in the proper priority order (protein first, etc).
    Take your vitamins.
    Drink all your water.
    Keep Moving.

For about the first 12 - 18 months, you WILL NOT FAIL. Your surgery is literally going to do the work for you but it will eventually stop. Spend the time you have on your "honeymoon" doing the work on your head and making sure you change your relationship with food.. so that when the honeymoon period ends (and it will), you will have the tools to maintain your loss or continue it if you don't get all the way to goal.

I am always fond of saying I had surgery on my stomach so I could do surgery on my head. The hardest part of this process for me was changing my habits.. I'm not 100% successful, but I know it's possible. I did 85% of it before my honeymoon ended.

Use this fail safe time wisely.

Stef
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can add to Stef, who covered it all pretty well, especially about the scale - GET RID OF IT - is the one thing my team continues to tell me... " IT IS NOT ABOUT THE NUMBERS". Just keep doing what you are doing.. it will happen.

God Bless, and Love
  • Napjeeper
    Napjeeper Posts: 36
    Options
    Everybody has you covered here. You should increase your protein intake, shakes are a good thing right after surgery. Your body needs the nutrition so that it doesn't go into complete starvation mode, you want to burn off fat, not muscle. Not getting enough protein kills that whole process.

The other thing is that scale... DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. Keep an eye on what you're putting in your system. It may be your honeymoon period, but you need to start learning how your body reacted to the surgery (everyone is a little different) and adjusting your diet and such to match. That process can take some time.

Be patient, watch what you put in your system and let the surgery do it's thing. You'll get there! :)
  • Napjeeper
    Napjeeper Posts: 36
    Options
    Tracy, there are soooo many brands out there and everyone has different tastes. I'd poke around and see if you can find a site that will send you samples before you buy a big tub of it. :)