Is this how it works?

Options
cyreta
cyreta Posts: 19 Member
I'm so ingrained that 3500 calorie deficit = 1 pd., I haven't figured out how that works with EMTWL. But, I've been thinking and I want to see if this is correct.

My TDEE is 2194. Cut (TDEE- 20%- I've got a LOT of fat to get rid of) is 1713. My BMR is 1460.

So, my cut value is approximately 470 calories off my TDEE number. 470 x 7 = 3290

Then I exercise the 3 to 5 days per week that I used in my TDEE calculation. 2 to 3 days per week I do C25K, burning about 300 calories per day. at 2 days per week its 600 calories total. I do have to eat back some calories on those days to be sure I get to BMR, so probably more like 400 calories total deficit for 2 days per week or 600 calories deficit for 3 days per week.

3290 + 400 = 3690 = 1 pd a week loss.

I also am doing bodyweight exercises 2 to 3 days per week (equaling 4 to 6 days of exercise total), but I have no idea how to calcuate that into MFP. I am logging it into the "comments" section so that I can see improvements, but I figure that the calorie burn isn't enough to make me need to eat more to get to BMR, so I don't worry about how many calories exactly.

I'm actually still waiting for this to start working for me, I think. I have lost about 1 pd a week over five weeks total, but I go up and down, up and down. I can't seem to get out of the 190s (started at 195.5, now down to 191). I never had the big weight gain when I upped my calories from 1200 to 1700; my weight just sort of sat there and then began to inch down. I've lost a few inches which is nice. I've read how people's bodies suddenly seem to click in to this and they start losing 2 pounds or more consistently while eating more- that's what I'm hoping for!

Does what I'm thinking make sense? I'm having a hard time keeping the faith because my weight is swinging up and down. It's also the end of the school year and I'm exhausted, so that might be a factor in my wavering belief. It's hard not to fall back into the familiar over- eating patterns or just reduce calories back down to see some results when I'm sleep-deprived!

Thanks!

Replies

• justagirl2013
    justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, but you shouldn't have to eat back your exercise calories unless you are burning over 700 each time you work out?

You eat 2194 each day right?
  • cyreta
    cyreta Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    No, I eat my cut of 1713 each day (actually 1700). That's why there are some days that I have to eat a little more to get up past my BMR. It's not usually much more, but I'm trying to do this right. I guess at some point I'll actually bite the bullet and do a 15% cut intstead of a 20%, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it yet. I don't weigh each and every mouthful, since I know that I won't do that after I finished losing the weight, so in my food log it usually hovers around 1600 to 1650. I know that the things I don't measure (like peanut butter) probably bring the number over 1700 anyway, and I'm at a 20% cut instead of 15% so I don't stress it much. Yes, it's a nutso, complicated mind game that I'm playing with myself, but it's the only thing that has kept me in EMTWL this long. Otherwise I would have run screaming back to 1200 calories a few weeks ago lol.
  • justagirl2013
    justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Please ignore anything I said. Apparently I have failed at reading comprehension.

I thought your cut was 2194! I'm sorry about that!

I will say, you should try to weight things. I don't use mine as much anymore since I'm pretty good at it now, but you would be shocked by the amount that I feel we overestimate! Even measuring things is not always the right weight. Case in point was my oatmeal, I was eating 15 gram more per day then the serving said, that's unwanted calories!