Exercise Calculations

Options
Has anyone added their Insanity workout to MFP?
Greg,I know you posted directions on how to create exercise, but so many components.
How would I know how many calories are burned?

Replies

• hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi Betsy, I'm on Gregs thread, the easiest way is to invest in a HRM or just take the nearest generic option. But I would wholeheartedly recommend a HRM, I didn't get one until the start of my 4th round (I don't eat my cals back) & it is a huge help in tracking workout intensity.

I got a cheapy but the Polar FT7(I think it's called that) gets recommended a lot.

Russ
  • Betsy_e
    Betsy_e Posts: 8
    Options
    Okay Russ....got a HRM...now what?? I'm sorry, totally new to this stuff
  • hongruss
    Options
    Betsy, you've got two options - 1. Set your calorie goal & eat back your exercise calories, so that you NET the same figure each day. OR 2. Set your calorie goal & use your exercise calories as a natural deficit.

It is mostly about what you wish to achieve BUT I would advise NOT to go too low(sub 12 -1300) as your body won't burn fat if there is no fuel coming in, hence why some people eat back their calories, so they NET + 1200.

Example - Goal 1475, Burn = 345 NET would be 1130. Here you could eat all of your exercise calories or part to exceed 12-1300 cals for the day.

I eat 3000-3200 to maintain *shakes head & sulks* BUT I use my exercise (whatever it is that day) as a natural deficit.

There is NO magic formula, but I know Greg has more info available to him, I would send Greg your stats & goals & also hit up the forums & see which piece of advise suits you best. :)

Russ
  • Betsy_e
    Betsy_e Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks for taking time to talk with me! Good advice..:smile:
  • hongruss
    Options
    No Problem this site has a lot of great advice but can be bewildering because everybody has a different opinion. Sift through & just apply what suits you. Give it a couple of weeks & then adjust accordingly, it is a longer road than we would like but it is the right road to be on. If you have any questions don't be afraid to PM Greg he genuinely enjoys helping people or PM me I'm not a coach but I will help where I can, Good Luck :)

Russ