Huh???

Options
mommymeg2
mommymeg2 Posts: 145 Member
I was getting a recipe off a blog of a local personal trainer and I had to read down a bit to find it. While reading I found this advice:

"If you're trying to drop pounds you MUST count your calories. I have recommended using "My Fitness Pal" for doing so. However, there is a entry each day that asks for your exercise and then tells you how many calories you burned working out. It then tells you that you have that many more calories to eat.

Do not enter your exercise into your daily log. You need to eat the same amount of calories each day whether you worked out or not.

If you eat more calories because you worked out then there was no point in working out."

WHAT????? Please tell me I am not the only one that this annoys??? And she's a personal trainer! My personal trainer and the man helping me with overall wellness have both begged me to up my calories (which I did reluctantly!) on more than one occasion. From the get go one said I should eat 2000 a day and the other said at least 1800. I just don't get it. *head scratch* Even if you're not eating more to lose weight, what does eating the same amount every day have anything to do with anything?

Replies

• junebug523
    junebug523 Posts: 196
    Options
    I agree, that philosophy annoys me too (I am ashamed to say I would probably stop reading the article at that point, it goes so far against what I have discovered to be true). My impression (without reading the article, of course) is that she doesn't have a very strong knowledge base when it comes to proper nutrition (or maybe just doesn't get the difference between gross and net?)...but then again, that is still the philosophy of a lot of people at MFP. It can be difficult to help people understand that they need to eat back their exercise calories to start with, and then another HUGE leap to get them to realize that eating at that *magical* 1200 cals a day is not a safe or sustainable level for most people who are trying to lose weight...

Anyway...yeah, it's annoying. And, I believe, a dangerous recommendation for most folks.
  • justagirl2013
    justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Now I'm confused. I eat the same amount every day, if I exercise or not???

I do eat back if I have burned too many and won't net my BMR. Maybe she meant to say that? But i do not eat more just because I burned 200 calories walking...Now if I burned 800 cals, yes I'd be eating some back
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Exactly, if TDEE is calculated correctly it does include activity, so no need to eat addl cals unless your burn drops you below bmr.
  • mommymeg2
    mommymeg2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yes your burn is calculated in but she screen shots her MFP days and eats between 1300-1500 while teaching boot camp and other classes several days a week. She is not advocating eating what you burn. It's not really an article, just a piece from her blog. She doesn't believe in eating exercise calories. She believes in eating what MFP tells you to eat and in her case it's around 1350 but she goes over to 1500 a lot of days...