Surgery at 300+ lbs + diabetic

Options
Italian_Buju
Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
I am having some minor surgery tomorrow.....and then a major one to follow.....

I had a hard time finding a DR that would do the surgery, because I am 350lbs and have been a type one diabetic for 24 years....

Even though I have had 8 surgeries over the course of my life, being at this weight, and diabetic for so long, has be freaked out, because everyone keeps telling me what high risk I am...

Anyone here a long time diabetic with a high body weight, and made it through a few surgeries without problems?

Replies

• drago207
    drago207 Posts: 4
    Options
    I recently underwent two surgeries related to my thyroid cancer, and they logged me in at a weight of 346. It was traumatizing to be treated like cattle at the hospital, to be perfectly honest. No one wanted to do the surgery, and everyone had a comment about my weight. But I came through it all with flying colors and have lost over 35 pounds since that time. I wish you the best of luck with your surgery. I am confident that you will do just fine. The upside to my surgery was it really gave me the motivation to lose the weight so any future surgeries, my weight is a non-issue. Oh, and I am a diabetic, but its only been a few years. Not sure that qualifies as long-time diabetic but it was certainly an issue for my doctors pre-surgery.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    Made it through great....minor surgery down, major one to go in a couple months...in the meantime, will keep my blood sugar under control and try and lose a little weight.....
  • tiffanic83
    Options
    Only advice I would give you is find out ahead of time (if you don't know) if you have sleep apnea. When I was a bit heavier I did and it was super important the first few days after my surgery to have a breathing machine. I could have died because of the anesthesia wearing off, and I have a friend who was found unconscious not breathing because of this. Its serious and I would recommend anyone overweight to find this out before major surgery, Its a pain in the *kitten*, but can save a life. After my surgery, just in recovery, if they didn't put the mask on me, my oxygen started dropping and the alarms were buzzing lol. Please ask your doc about this if you aren't already aware.
  • lamornad
    lamornad Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am not diabetic but I am over 300 lbs and had a heart atack a few years back. 2 years ago I had a brest removed came through fine, Horribly healthy. By the way its not a good way to loose weight!
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I had surgery at 620lbs. I am alive to tell the story :)