First 5k while Paleo

Options
mom2tek
mom2tek Posts: 75 Member
Just curious as to what some of you may be eating night before, breakfast before and after running a 5k, 1/2 marathon. I have my first 5k of the season and with my new Paleo lifestyle. Before I would have energy bars before the race and protein shakes after. Of course I'd have a banana while I'm there also. I'm a little nervous about the race tomorrow (I always get a little jittery before). What do some of you do for your energy.

Replies

• gersoco
    gersoco Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Good luck with race tomorrow!! I got my first 5K race next month so I'm interested in what our fellow cavemen/cavewomen eat b4 a 5K. I'm on Week 8 of C25K and I've realized that my times are much better if I don't eat anything. But that could just be me.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I don't feel I need anything extra for a 5k really but a banana generally has as much instant energy in it as a sports drink so those are my go to foods.

I should have been running a 5k this weekend and next weekend but I've fractured my foot :(
  • mom2tek
    Options
    Good luck with race tomorrow!! I got my first 5K race next month so I'm interested in what our fellow cavemen/cavewomen eat b4 a 5K. I'm on Week 8 of C25K and I've realized that my times are much better if I don't eat anything. But that could just be me.

I'm on week 3 of C25K and was going to wait on races until I got through the training but this one came up. Friends were doing this one also. First mile was great but 2nd one was tuff then 3rd one was better I was able to catch up some. I guess not bad for the first race of the season. They had bananas and energy bars available after the race and I just took the banana. Before the race I had a boiled egg.
  • mom2tek
    Options
    I don't feel I need anything extra for a 5k really but a banana generally has as much instant energy in it as a sports drink so those are my go to foods.

I should have been running a 5k this weekend and next weekend but I've fractured my foot :(

I had the banana also and felt fine. I always need a little something in the A.M. so I did have a boiled egg before the race.
    Seemed to work out fine. How long do they expect for healing time with your fractured foot? Hope it gets better quickly! I know how frustrating it can be to not be able to exercise or run due to an injury. I did something to my neck and shoulder last July and I'm still seeing a chiropractor for it. I stopped running in July and then started again with very easy training in March with the C25K. Due to time and weather I'm only in week 3 but I do also go on my Ellipticall several times a week. Running outside is so so different though. Did ok with my race time though for being so long since my last one that I did in July but I'm sooo sore today. I need to get those muscle in shape again.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I think I'm looking at 3 weeks before I can run properly again :(

Sounds like you did a great job. I'll end up starting the C25K again I think, it's so frustrating not being able to go out there.