I need help.

Options
I'm planning on starting the 30 day challenge in June. That way I have time to get more prepared and rid my house of crap.

I talked to my husband last night and told him that I would like for him to do the challenge with me. He says he doesn't need to because he is healthy. A. He's underweight B. He has tummy issues as do I C. He eats CRAP all the time. He has one of those miracle metabolisms where he can eat everything he wants and stay a stick.

He said that he would make whatever I cook but he wouldn't commit 100% to the change. Not even for 30 days.

How can I help get him over to this side? I don't want to force him or guilt him into it but I do think he would benefit greatly from it. Especially if he gives it a go.

Replies

• TDSExpress
    TDSExpress Posts: 14
    Options
    Be the example...maybe in time (his time) he'll join in...like the old saying goes 'you can lead a horse to water...'

Good luck on your start !!
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    when you start slapping a steak and yummy roasted veggies in front of him he will probably change his tune....

Also who does the shopping in your house - if you do then fill it full of yummy good things to snack on...

My husband has slowly come around to eating - in fact he willingly gave up bread for his lunches he packs...he uses broad leaf lettuce now (of course he is still using the crappy lunch meat but baby steps)
  • karagetsfit
    karagetsfit Posts: 191
    Options
    when you start slapping a steak and yummy roasted veggies in front of him he will probably change his tune....

Also who does the shopping in your house - if you do then fill it full of yummy good things to snack on...

My husband has slowly come around to eating - in fact he willingly gave up bread for his lunches he packs...he uses broad leaf lettuce now (of course he is still using the crappy lunch meat but baby steps)

Thankfully, I do the shopping. So it will be easy for me to replace things.
  • MrsAbles
    MrsAbles Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You can't change your husband. Didn't you read that in the manual?? Hahaha! Seriously, do it for yourself. That's all you can do.
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    When I went paleo I tried to educate my husband as to why I needed the changes....He was indifferent so..meh...what can you do!
    I ALWAYS make sure there are at least two choices for dinner though.......
    EAT or DONT....I let him decide =)
  • MrsAbles
    MrsAbles Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    When I went paleo I tried to educate my husband as to why I needed the changes....He was indifferent so..meh...what can you do!

This. Hahaha!
  • mom2tek
    mom2tek Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My husband was much like yours and never gave it a thought until he saw what I was eating. I started this Paleo/Primal lifestyle March 1st. In these past 2 months he has seen my weight drop and I've told him how my blood sugars have gone down(I'm pre diaebtic). He also sees me exercising and I do think he is maybe starting to connect it all.
    He knows I'm also watching what our kids eat and strictly limiting the sugar. I'm most positive that my youngest has sensitivities to gluten and sugar. I do not want any Dr diagnosing him with ADD and medicating him. So I've changed his diet also. I do think things seem a litlle better for him.
    I do think my husband is closer to changing to this lifestyle then he was 2 months ago. I even got him to walk 3 miles with me the other day. I was sooo thrilled. I hope things keep moving in the right direction for him. Also I do the shopping and have changed some of the choices we have in our fridge and pantry and he still does complain sometimes that I don't make some of the same things I used to make anymore. But those are things I won't make anymore unless I can make it Paleo.
    Good luck with your hubby but I do think the more you stick to it and the more changes you make he may eventually change with you. I'm still working on mine and have a long way to go but I do see small changes starting.
  • graygirl73
    graygirl73 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Lol! Good method!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I talked to my husband last night and told him that I would like for him to do the challenge with me. He says he doesn't need to because he is healthy. He eats CRAP all the time. He has one of those miracle metabolisms where he can eat everything he wants and stay a stick.

He said that he would make whatever I cook but he wouldn't commit 100% to the change. Not even for 30 days.

How can I help get him over to this side? I don't want to force him or guilt him into it but I do think he would benefit greatly from it. Especially if he gives it a go.

Much like someone coming up to you and saying "I really think you need to lose weight" or "You really need to start eating more healthy" - you know how horrible that feels and how much of a personal attack it can feel like. Its horribly wrong.

You cant change your husband and to do so would definitely paint him the picture that you want him to make changes because of something you dont like of him. You simply cant do that to your husband.

You do though need to give him some credit - he is willing to have some of the dishes you plan on making paleo/primal.

Right now, my husband is 100% supportive. Tonight I just did one huge BBQ - tons of burgers, chicken breasts, country-pork ribs, steaks, skewers of roasted vegetables, two ears of corn for him, etc. I did make his favorite potato salad and he knows its all for him if he wants it. And sure enough he did... but his plate was overfilled with tons of proteins, the roasted vegetables.. I wont let him go without his favorite foods, but there are nights he is simply not in the mood for the bread/corn/pasta/rice type foods - he enjoys the meals I create.... but he was willing to try them without my poking or prodding about it........ thats because it was ***his*** choice....

Dont make an enemy out of your husband... at least he is willing to have some of the things you plan on making... and that is half the battle right there!
  • uniqsol
    uniqsol Posts: 36
    Options
    You can't make someone do what they don't wanna. Life lesson, lol.
    However, people CAN learn by example! I've been doing tons of reading & then amending to my eating/lifestyle & my husband is super supportive. While he (still) enjoys his breads/pastas/rice, there has been a DRAMATIC decline in his consumption of those b/c I've stopped.

Examples of great strides: last week we had lettuce wraps (red leaf lettuce) with veggies, steak & chicken - he loved them & was so surprised to get full; over weekend I made almond flour "biscuits"...a couple w/ blackberries, a couple without - again he was amazed that they could be so simple but so good w/ meat or a preserve.

Understandably it can be a little disheartening to see him indulge in junk when you know how much better truly healthy food can be! That said though, you can only do what you can & affect positive changes where you can - with you. Once you're all in, he may come around once he see the differences it's making for you, as well as the awesome food you're enjoying!
    (If nothing else, I've heard that if you get a guy to think it was HIS idea, you're golden, lolol.)
  • mtg81
    mtg81 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    have him commit 80 %. after that i bet he will feel so much better that he will go all out. good luck
  • gogogracie
    gogogracie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue with my boyfriend. Then he finally decided to give up gluten- his heartburn totally went away in a matter of days. Now he pretty much eats what I eat with a few minor differences. Its more about the health benefits that you see vs weight loss. So if your tummy trouble goes away, he is likely to get jealous and want the same results! If you stick to it long enough he will come around, especially if you are making delicious food! I also listen to a lot of primal podcasts and follow health news, so we are constantly discussing and debating all this stuff, its actually fun and he challenges me and keeps me on my toes!

I also highly recommend the book Paleo Comfort foods. They remake a lot of recipes so that you don't have to give up your favorite foods. In many cases, it actually tastes better than the original (chicken or pork cutlets dredged in almond flour vs breadcrumbs-- WAY BETTER!)

So if you do this the right way, there is no way he won't be into it after a while :)