Too many races in 2 months?

Options
thepetiterunner
thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
So I may be just completely insane (or over caffinated this morning), but I'm seriously considering running a marathon, a 50km and another marathon in about two and a half month's time. The first race is at the end of July, the 50 km is mid-September, and the last marathon is mid-October (assuming I get in via the lottery).

Is this a reasonable schedule? I've completed 4 halfs and a full marathon in the last two years. I completed the marathon with my longest run being about 15 miles or so (my training got derailed when I started dating my boyfriend - yes I know, totally lame, I agree) and I finished feeling pretty good, took about 2 days to recover, then went back to running again. I'm certain I can push myself to do it mentally, I'm just worried about tearing my body to shreds. Both marathons are on pavement, but the 50km is a trail run with some pretty steep elevation climbs.

I've committed to doing the July race for sure and I'd really like to do an ultramarathon this year and with this scenic trail course, it makes my September race really hard to pass up. Any thoughts from more seasoned marathoners?

Thanks in advance!
Cathy

Replies

• lilfurson
    lilfurson Posts: 190
    Options
    Looking forward to seeing others responses. I don't have plans like you do, in terms of length, but I do have a lot of races this year.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Hard to say Cathy. The schedule is ambitious for sure. Based on your past history I'd say we don't yet have enough info to know how well you recover from long runs. Start throwing 20 milers a couple times a month and see how you do with that.

The summer marathon will be good training for the 50K. The real questions is the 3rd marathon - it might be no problem or it might be too soon.

Up your miles now and watch out for injuries.

Jut listen to your body and forget those silly 10% rules of thumb.
  • thepetiterunner
    Options
    I figured the July race would be fine, but I'm worried about the 3rd race as well. I may decide not to do it anyway - it's $175 for the race which is a lot, IMO, and I already ran it last year. I may opt for another fun, half marathon (or heck, a couple since I'll be saving $175) instead.

Thanks for the response :)
  • feisma
    feisma Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am impressed that you did the marathon with your longest run being 15 miles! My training has gotten derailed lately with hamstring pull, and then combo of bad bronchitis/chest infection and a trial...still hoping to do SD marathon in June but worried about ability since I lost three weeks of training. How did your marathon go with only 15 before? Any tips on how you got through it?
  • thepetiterunner
    Options
    I am impressed that you did the marathon with your longest run being 15 miles! My training has gotten derailed lately with hamstring pull, and then combo of bad bronchitis/chest infection and a trial...still hoping to do SD marathon in June but worried about ability since I lost three weeks of training. How did your marathon go with only 15 before? Any tips on how you got through it?

Don't be impressed by my derranged sense of self-delusion, LOL. I had no business running that race, but it was paid for and it was hard to get into, so I was going to finish the damn thing no matter what! :)

My marathon went pretty well. I did a lot of things that race that I shouldn't have done. I didn't complete my long runs (as stated before), and I also tried carrying new foods I hadn't tested on really long runs and also took S-caps (or an alternative) that I had never tried. I also drank more water than I usually did. For some reason, all of these culminated into a pretty damn good race experience. I also have to say that I was mentally committed to finishing the race no matter WHAT. If that meant I walked the last 6 miles, so be it. I think that's really what got me through in the end, because there was no way I was going to leave the race unfinished.

The first 16-18 miles were fine, and I felt steady and strong. Right about mile 20-21, my right quad started to lock up and I literally, could not run. I'd walk it out and stretch for about 3 minutes, then run for a minute, then repeat like 4-5 times until it stopped doing it. I finished the race feeling pretty good, definitely not at my goal of 5 hours (I think I finished closer to 5:20-5:30), but I also hadn't taken into account the fact that I'd have to use the bathroom at some point. All in all, I crossed the line happy and feeling strong. I didn't collapse, vomit or cry, as many other finishers before me did.

I was satisfied with my experience, but again, it was my first and I was looking more for completion feeling good rather than hitting a particular time goal.
  • arc918
    Options
    Are you doing SF in July?
  • thepetiterunner
    Options

Yep! Sure am. I loved the first Half Marathon course last year and I'm looking forward to running the whole thing this year. Are you running it?
  • feisma
    feisma Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info...I have paid for too many races lately and not been able to run them due to illness, injury, etc. I think at this point I will keep training and then a week or so before, decide whether I feel ready for the full or whether I will drop down to the half. We are making it into a week-long family vacation so I will be running in the race one way or another. :-)
  • arc918
    Options

Yep! Sure am. I loved the first Half Marathon course last year and I'm looking forward to running the whole thing this year. Are you running it?

I'm planning on it. I ran it last year (and in 2005). I've booked a hotel room and I even got a discounted entry w/ their sub-seeded program.
  • _kimberly
    _kimberly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    So I may be just completely insane (or over caffinated this morning), but I'm seriously considering running a marathon, a 50km and another marathon in about two and a half month's time. The first race is at the end of July, the 50 km is mid-September, and the last marathon is mid-October (assuming I get in via the lottery).

Is this a reasonable schedule? I've completed 4 halfs and a full marathon in the last two years. I completed the marathon with my longest run being about 15 miles or so (my training got derailed when I started dating my boyfriend - yes I know, totally lame, I agree) and I finished feeling pretty good, took about 2 days to recover, then went back to running again. I'm certain I can push myself to do it mentally, I'm just worried about tearing my body to shreds. Both marathons are on pavement, but the 50km is a trail run with some pretty steep elevation climbs.

I've committed to doing the July race for sure and I'd really like to do an ultramarathon this year and with this scenic trail course, it makes my September race really hard to pass up. Any thoughts from more seasoned marathoners?

Thanks in advance!
    Cathy

I love your schedule! You sound like you'd qualify for

Half Fanatics: http://www.halffanatics.com/

Marathon Maniacs: http://www.marathonmaniacs.com/

Ultra Fanatics: http://www.ultrafanatics.com/

I'm Half Fanatic #892, I'd like to qualify for Marathon Maniacs next year... then I will be able to call myself a "Double Agent" (both a Fanatic and a Maniac) (: (:
  • shmiracles
    shmiracles Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i love this thread and just wanna learn from what Cathy learns and everyone's experience.

i'm registered for 4 marathons from September thru November (two trail, two reg) and i can use all the pointers i can get! :)
  • kuregisto
    kuregisto Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    With your training, and the timetable you're suggesting, I'd say go for it. Key point as always, though - Listen to your body. Don't risk injury just to prove to yourself that you can complete them all.

I'm not a strong runner when it comes to speed, but I've now completed four marathons in two months (two in May, two in June). The shortest gap was in June, with one week between the two races. Now that I've got that as a basis, I've decided to see how many states I can knock out. I've currently got 11 (and counting) marathons on my calendar between August and the middle of January. There are a couple "doubles" weekends in there (one race Saturday, another on Sunday) that I expect to really test my ability. For the really packed months (three in November, I'm looking for a fourth), I'm just taking it easy on the running during the week and counting the marathons as my "long run" day.
    I'm Half Fanatic #892, I'd like to qualify for Marathon Maniacs next year... then I will be able to call myself a "Double Agent" (both a Fanatic and a Maniac) (: (:

_bamf, let me know if you go for it. I just joined the Marathon Maniacs last month. It has spurred me on to pack my schedule with more and more races. Hit me up if you join. I'm curious to see how long it takes before I start recognizing faces in the crowd.
  • jc1115
    jc1115 Posts: 22
    Options
    Go for it!!!!