Nutrition & Dieting Myths

Options
joejccva71
joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
Myth #1: You have to eat 5-6 meals a day every 2-3 hours to lose weight and keep your metabolic fire stoked.

No. You do not have to eat many meals during the day to lose weight. Meal timing is irrelevant. This is not to say that eating multiple meals during the day doesn't work. It does. But it is not necessary. Remember: Calories in versus calories out.

Myth #2: You have to eat clean to lose weight, get ripped, get rock hard abs, and have the body of your dreams.

No. Incorrect. You have to eat a calorie deficit to lose bodyfat that will get you your abs. This can come from any type of food as food type does not matter. Disclaimer: I'm not saying hurry to your nearest McDonalds, and ask the cashier for a tub of lard, a fork, and a knife) Please use common sense.

Myth #3: Carbs will make me fat.

No, carbs won't make you fat. Excess calories and sitting your *kitten* on the couch will make you fat. The worst carbs will do is make you retain water, which in turn will pass. If you eat so many carbs that it causes you to eat a calorie surplus, then yes you will get fat.

Myth #4: Fat will make me fat.

Again, wrong. Dietary fat will not make you fat unless you eat so much that it causes you to consume a calorie surplus. Everyone needs fat in their diet.

Myth #5: You have to eat breakfast to lose weight easier.

No, meal timing is irrelevant. See Myth #1 in case it's fuzzy. You can eat breakfast if you want to, but you don't have to. It has no effect on whether or not you lose weight as long as you're eating a calorie deficit. (See the trend here?)

Myth #6: I can't eat past 7pm or I will gain fat overnight.

Again meal timing is irrelevant. See Myth #1 and Myth #5. It does not matter what time of the day you eat. Eat whenever you're hungry as long as you don't go over your calorie intake pertaining to your goals.

Myth #7: I don't have to drink alot of water everyday

If you want to keep yourself hydrated then you need to be drinking FLUIDS. It doesn't HAVE to be water, but you need to be drinking fluids to keep yourself hydrated throughout the day. Also remember that more water in = more water out. The more fluids/water you drink throughout the day, the more you pee, and the more water you release from your body.

Myth #8: Saturated fats are bad for you and cause CVD/CHD.

There is no scientific proof nor evidence that SFA's cause a higher risk of CVD or CHD.

Myth #9: Heavy weight lifting will cause women to get bulky.

If they are eating a calorie surplus, yes. If not, then no. Also remember that women don't gain muscle (even on a surplus) anywhere near the rate that men do unless they are on steroids.

Myth #10: Starvation mode does not exist.

Actually it does, but not to the extremes people make it out to be. You have to actually try to starve yourself to go into this "starvation mode" to the point of where your body wants to retain your fat stores as long as possible to survive. It's not simply just eating a larger deficit than normal.

Myth #11: I have to have a meal right after my workout:

No you don't. Meal timing is irrelevant even directly after a workout. The anabolic window lasts 24 hours, not 1-2 hours like most people think. Alan Aragon will back this statement up. In fact, he wrote it. You can eat or drink something with protein and carbs directly after a workout if you want to, but you don't have to. Eat whenever you want during the day.

Myth #12: Good and Bad foods for losing weight:

Remember this:

30g of protein, 20g of fats, and 50g of carbs in a 2 slices of pepperoni pizza

ARE THE SAME AS:

30g of protein, 20g of fats, and 50g of carbs in a 6oz chicken breast, 1 tbsp of flaxseed oil, 1 cup veggies, and 1 cup of brown rice

(Micronutrient-wise this will not be the same)

Myth #13: Egg yolks are bad for you, you should only eat the whites.

Wrong. In fact, the yolks have more nutrition in them than the whites do. And unless you already have a high cholesterol profile then you should not worry about eating too many egg yolks.

Myth #14: I can't eat fruit because it has too much sugar!

SMH. Why would you limit yourself on one of natures most beloved foods that is rich in vitamins and minerals because of a little fructose? Sugar = Carbs. Carbs = Calories. If you eat fruit and you are still in a calorie deficit, you will still lose weight. More doesn't really need to be said.

Myth #15: Milk does not do a body good!

Horse hockey. Unless you are lactose intolerant or you have some kind of milk allergy then drink milk. It has a wide array of vitamins and minerals, a quality amino acid profile, and is a great drink that fills you up fast. Drink it and quit whining.

Myth #16: Help! The Glycemic Index (GI) scares me so bad that I wet the bed!

You are whining again, and you shouldn't. Please read one of Lyle McDonald's articles regarding this very phenomenon. Here I'll help you: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/the-influence-of-the-subjects-training-state-on-the-glycemic-index.html

Myth #15: I can gain muscle without gaining any fat

Wow I wish I could. The truth is that you can't. Even if you are on steroids you still gain fat when building muscle. If you are gaining muscle then you are eating a calorie surplus. If you are eating a calorie surplus, then you are gaining fat along with the muscle. It's damn near impossible to gain ONLY muscle without ANY fat at all. You can try to convince me all you want, but it's not happening.

Myth #16: You have to do cardio to burn fat

No, you have to eat a calorie deficit to burn fat. You can do all the cardio you want to, but if your diet is not 100% in check, you won't burn *kitten*. Plain and simple.

Replies

• Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options

Remember this:

ARE THE SAME AS:

30g of protein, 20g of fats, and 50g of carbs in a 6oz chicken breast, 1 tbsp of flaxseed oil, 1 cup veggies, and 1 cup of brown rice

Could you mention that micronutrient-wise they might not be the same?

PS: I'm loving the initiative! :flowerforyou:
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Remember this:

ARE THE SAME AS:

Could you mention that micronutrient-wise they might not be the same?

PS: I'm loving the initiative! :flowerforyou:

Done =) And thanks!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    RAmen! Quality posting as usual Joe! :D
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Regarding meal timings - In my experience it is important to eat before you work out: I do a lot of long distance running and having a small, carb-high meal (Porridge or a cereal bar) 1-2 hours before working out makes a huge difference to my performance. Additionally after an hour or so of running it makes a big difference to take a gel or similar every 15-30 mins to maintain energy.

By extension I can see how eating smaller meals more often would give people better energy levels throughout the day than fewer, larger meals. I agree though that if people use this new found energy to sit and watch TV it will have absolutely no influence on their weight loss one way or the other!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Regarding meal timings - In my experience it is important to eat before you work out: I do a lot of long distance running and having a small, carb-high meal (Porridge or a cereal bar) 1-2 hours before working out makes a huge difference to my performance. Additionally after an hour or so of running it makes a big difference to take a gel or similar every 15-30 mins to maintain energy.

By extension I can see how eating smaller meals more often would give people better energy levels throughout the day than fewer, larger meals. I agree though that if people use this new found energy to sit and watch TV it will have absolutely no influence on their weight loss one way or the other!

I also enjoy eating before exercise, but I disagree with the leap you made that therefore eating more often gives people better energy levels. My energy levels correlate directly with my calorie intake - its actually surprising how consistent it is (other things can get in the way like lack of sleep). If I eat a 400 calorie lunch and try to workout 4 hours later without eating anything else, I will have a terrible workout. But I can have a great workout in the same timeframe if I eat a much bigger lunch.

There is maybe a MINOR difference in that the initial OOMPH you get right after eating sometimes (blood sugar spike?) isn't there and it feels good to workout with that so I like to eat a bit before hand and scale my lunch or dinner down to match, but I don't need to eat 5 meals all day for that to happen, I just plan to have those few bites before my workout.

Your body is efficient at energy storage and usage. I find very little fluctuation in my own energy levels if I eat several meals a day or 2. But eating a bunch of tiny meals makes me want to punch someone in the mouth so I stick with 2-3.
  • skye15
    skye15 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    (Horse Hockey) LOL!! That made spew out water laughing!! This is awesome, thank you!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Regarding meal timings - In my experience it is important to eat before you work out: I do a lot of long distance running and having a small, carb-high meal (Porridge or a cereal bar) 1-2 hours before working out makes a huge difference to my performance.

As a distance runner it makes sense that you'd want to eat something beforehand. For bodybuilding, there are plenty of people who do just fine training completely fasted.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    This is great! We get so caught up on the latest research and it is easy to get very overwhelmed over what you should do or not do, when the reality of weight loss is very simple. Calories in and Calories out. There are other healthy things you can do (like eating more fruits and veggies) that may help you be healthier, but you can lose on a fast food diet. This kind of information really helps put things in priority order.

thanks!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • stphnstevey
    stphnstevey Posts: 68
    Options
    Moderator's note: the FAQ is not the appropriate place for debate. If you would like more information, send a PM to the OP or ask a question in the general forums.

I was censored from my original post, so I politely and completely disagree with alot of your comments on these 'Myths' as I believe you have no clinical evidence for your findings and you are merely sharing your assumptions. Please post hard clinical evidence in the form of scientific journal studies as evidence for your claims (I don't except citing someone's webpage article, were anybody can write a webpage nowadays and call it fact)

Myth 1: Spreading your calorie load out during the day stops your body being overloaded with calories in just two meals/time points in a day and stops you getting hungry

Myth 2: Eating the right types of foods can help a great deal, eating the wrong types of food can hinder a great deal

Myth 3: Carbs tend to be calorie rich, hence why alot of people do cut down on them during a calorie controlled diet. They are needed, but can be moderately sacrificed to reduce calorie levels

Myth 4: Fat is needed at moderate levels - too much will make you fat

Myth 5: Your body is without food for around 8 hours+ while you are sleeping, so your metabolism is bound to have slowed down. Getting it started again as early as possible makes commen sense

Myth 6: Your body uses less energy during sleep, loading it before sleep will only lead to energy storage in the form of fat

Myth 12: The pizza will have twice the amount of calories than the chicken breast! It will be easier for someone to meet low calorie goals with chicken breast than pizza

Myth 13: But the yolks also have most of the calories! - see above

Myth 15: Again calories - comprimise semi skimmed

Myth 15 (your myths aren't numbered right!): You can limit the fat gain by not just eating ANY calories, but protein rich foods with low fat content
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Topic is now locked. If you want to chit chat and debate ad nauseum, take it to the main forums.
This discussion has been closed.