Fatigue this early?

Options
loricolwill
loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
I'm only 1 week into the program. I lifted on MWF and walked for 30 mins on Tues and did very light intervals on Th. In reviewing my food diary it looks as though I have averaged about 1500 Net calories M-F. My nutrients have been about 45/30/25 (I'm working on this.)

Before starting NROL4W I was running approx 3 miles MWF and doing a boot camp type workout T-Th, calories were set at 1200, but really fluctuated from day to day. Average NET were probably about the same.

My problem is that since about Wednesday, I have been extremely tired. Could this be the effects of this program so soon? With workouts seeming less intense, and calorie intake more, it doesn't make sense to me. Anyone else experience this?

As I just reached my goal of running 3 miles, I really don't want to stop running on my days "off". Should I switch to 3 days running, 2 days lifting?

And are the calorie goal Gross or Net? The book didn't really make that clear. If it's gross, then I'm probably OK. If it's NET, then I need to increase them.

Any suggestions?

Side note: I have done no exercise the last two days and have had more than my goal on calories and still feel very fatigued.

Replies

• silvernswan
    silvernswan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi Loricolwil, I think other people have mentioned feeling quite fatiged when starting this program, so it could well be the cause. The other thing that struck me is your calories seem low (though I am a large person, and need quite a lot, so my perspective could be skewed). What is your calorie requirement as calculated from the book? I think if you have too large a deficit when trying to do this program, it will really tire you out.

Hope this helps :-)
  • loricolwill
    Options
    The book has me at 1800-2000 calories. What I don't know is that supposed to be gross or net (after deducting exercise)? My gross calories have ranged from 1650 to 2400 on days that I have worked out. Mostly around 1600-1700. Exercise has taken the Net down anywhere from 1400-1700. So should I try eating more?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if you're following the books advice for calories then dont worry about gross and net since your activity level has already been figured into the calculations.

are you sleeping enough?
  • Snapplejac
    Snapplejac Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm also really tired at the moment, I've had two extra sleeps - one saturday evening about 5pm and another on Wednesday night when I came home from work. I don't feel that I'm working out excessively and I feel like 'm eating way more than I need (eating about 2000cals though not eating back exercise cals). I'm drinking plenty of fluids. I'm a bit confused I must say....
  • loricolwill
    Options
    if you're following the books advice for calories then dont worry about gross and net since your activity level has already been figured into the calculations.

are you sleeping enough?

Ok, light bulb! That finally makes sense! That 1.4 or 1.6 that I multiply by accounts for the exercise. So I guess if I'm going to continue to do cardio on my "off" days I should strive for the 2000 mark instead of 1700-1800. After eating 1200-1400 for more than 2 years that just seems like A LOT of food, but if my hunger level stays like it was this weekend, it won't be a problem.

As far as sleep goes, I slept 11 hours Saturday night and felt like I could sleep several more.:yawn: The quality of sleep is another question. I should probably have another sleep study done, but can't afford it at the moment.
  • loricolwill
    Options
    I'm also really tired at the moment, I've had two extra sleeps - one saturday evening about 5pm and another on Wednesday night when I came home from work. I don't feel that I'm working out excessively and I feel like 'm eating way more than I need (eating about 2000cals though not eating back exercise cals). I'm drinking plenty of fluids. I'm a bit confused I must say....

Yes me too. It has been weird to increase food and seemingly decrease exercise and be this tired. Hopefully it will even out soon.
  • loricolwill
    Options
    Feeling much better today. Kicked the puppy out of the bedroom. :laugh: Hopefully, it will continue.
  • Aineko
    Aineko Posts: 163
    Options

Yes me too. It has been weird to increase food and seemingly decrease exercise and be this tired. Hopefully it will even out soon.
    was happening to me the whole first week. I guess it just goes to show that we have never before REALLY pushed all our muscles, our body as a whole :).
  • Snapplejac
    Snapplejac Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Glad you are feeling better today! Me too actually- Does anyone else feel ridiculously good the day after they lift? I NEVER had that with cardio. I reckon I'll be back to feeling tired again tomorrow!