Meat and Egg Fast

Options
ReinventingLisa
ReinventingLisa Posts: 104 Member
I'm curious to if anyone else is participating in a Meat and Egg fast?

I'm on day two, and have lost 1.6lbs since yesterday mornings weigh in. I find I do a lot better eating Meat and Egg because it gets me in deep ketosis, and appetite and cravings disappear almost immediately. I do use half and half and I limit my cheese, but I generally eat pretty well. My only problem is making sure I eat ENOUGH since I'm never hungry!

Replies

• mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    You do realize that you are losing water weight don't you? Even if you faste on water you will not lose 1.6 pounds of fat in one day. It may give you a boost of confidence but it really makes no sense to me to go on a gimic way of eating, even in the strictest phase of Atkins you are supposed to eat six cups of green veggies.
    Anyway--not meaning to offend--good luck to you and I hope things continue in the right direction as you add good clean veggies back into your diet.
  • MissesJai
    MissesJai Posts: 48
    Options
    I have to agree with mountainmare, Lisa. Yes, it works in the very short term, but in the long term, you can't sustain this M/E fast. I know you've tried it before and because of various circumstances, you weren't able to maintain it. I too wanted to do a M/E fast but found it far too restrictive, not to mention, unhealthy overall. I wanted those quick results, you know, losing a pound a day, but what I found was the moment I ingested anything remotely close to a carb, even veggies, I would gain it all back. Why? Because like mountainmare said, it's just water weight. It's not fat loss. I know you have your challenges with your work schedule and the like, but I strongly encourage you to revisit your approach and start looking at this journey as a life long commitment. What can you sustain for the rest of your life? What happens once you come off your M/E fast? I don't want to discourage you - I'm a fan of low carb eating - it's the lifestyle I adopted as well - so I want you to succeed, I just want you to be successful in the long term, not just the immediate future. Good luck to you Lisa!
  • ReinventingLisa
    ReinventingLisa Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments everyone, and yes I realize it is water weight, but it's my choice to eat this way. I'm not on Atkins, I've never proclaimed to be. This is how I eat, and I like it and can sustain it. I have no fantasies of losing 20lbs in two weeks, but I'm going with what has made me feel the best out of everything I've tried - this being it.

The reasons why I would fail, with any of my attempts to figure out what I can sustain long term, have been lack of planning. I do well when I prepare meals a head of time. I've known a few people to eat M/E for months, and one person that has done it for years and had no problems, health or otherwise, with very little to know veggies..

I was just curious to see who else was doing it, that's all.
  • BCsurvivor1962
    BCsurvivor1962 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Good Luck!

I have never done it but I do eat VERY low carb so I eat eggs daily and meat.

Let me know how it goes!
  • kim8184
    kim8184 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've never even heard of it. I started very strictly on Atkins, and had wonderful results, then just stopped. I then added in some complex carbs like brown rice, whole wheat wraps that were low in carbs, whole wheat pasta, and fruit. Seems like when I did that I started to lose again.

I wish you the best of luck, please let me know how you are doing, I'm always interested in how other people are attacking their lifestyle changes. I've decided to take the "D" word out of my vocabulary because every time I use it I fail.
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I do meat and egg fast or better yet protein fasts (I include protein shakes) when I have been a little naughty and need to get my cravings out of my system or to break a plateau. Just be sure to get some fiber in there so you don't have problems, I usually do 3-5 days but have done a week without problems. It is not something you should do long term but to get you reset I don't see a problem with it.
  • traceyjayne64
    traceyjayne64 Posts: 262
    Options
    Hi there
    I have been on Atkins since 1st Feb and lost 31lbs so far. I havent actually stuck to it religiously as now i seem to eat more or less just meat and eggs and i thoroughly enjoy it, on the odd day i add some salad stuff but either way i am not hungry, have no cravings and feel wonderful. I dont miss any other foods, when ive had an odd binge, whether it be a takeaway meal or some toast, i have felt awful and bloated so i dont bother now.
    Im happy with this 'way of life' so far :smile:
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Yes I am 2 days into a protein fast. I do it to get my blood sugar under control. After 2 days I always add my veggies back in. Yes you lose weight. I lost 3 lbs of WATER overnight but anyway. I understand where you are coming from. I am pre diabetic and low carbng it is a way of life for me. Good luck to you