Farmers Market and a no-tech run

SO this weekend was the opening weekend of the Omaha Farmers' Market. Got some awesome local all natural ground pork, some grass fed all natural beef, some chemical free elk jerky, organic salad greens, radishes, and asparagus. I love it. Wish it went on all year long.

And on a completely unrelated topic- I am an addicted jogger. I love going out for a jog. I love the sun, the fresh air, getting to move about.... I just love it. And I live in the best neighborhood in the city (actually, it has been rated one of the 10 best neighborhoods to live in the country), where there is a lot of park space with trails and creeks, and it's just lovely. Anyway, I always feared that without my ipod blasting into my ears the whole time, that some how my legs wouldn't be able to move. But today, I gave it a shot and went out without my tunes. And it was great! Better than great! Greatest jog ever. I had no idea how many bird songs I was missing. And the wood peckers! I even heard frogs down by the creek! I also went out sans watch... when I got back and looked at the clock, I'd been gone twice as long as I had guessed! So, I've concluded the best time spent outdoors being active is done with no technology at all. :)

Replies

• uniqsol
    uniqsol Posts: 36
    Congratulations on the recent nuptials! I loved looking at your (profile) pics :)

Just realized over the weekend that our local Farmer's Market in Raleigh (NC) that hosts an every-Wednesday event downtown often has local farmers & also all natural meats. WOOOOOHOOOOO! Now I just gotta remember to bring some $$, lol.

I went walking w/ our "kids" (puppies) over the weekend while hubby was working. I, too, realized how awesome the simple sounds of Nature are when not distracted by music. Usually I like to envision myself as much stronger, leaner & in the middle of an action movie with my own soundtrack, hehehe. This was a nice switch! ;^]
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    yesss love farmers markets!! we have one at work every Monday (today was actually the first day of the season). I wasn't totally into it last year but I'm excited to take advantage of it now!

and about your run... it's funny cause I've had that same irrational "without my ipod my legs wont work" thought. how silly! I guess I feel like I need music to distract me from over-thinking my breathing (I do have asthma so it IS kind of always on my mind)... but I bet I would be just fine :)