Getting Enough Protein

Options
Hey all,

I'm trying to up my protein but having a hard time. I eat meat, but don't like to eat it every day. In search of other ways to get in more protein! I do make protein shakes sometimes, but again, I don't like having them every day, much less two or more times a day!

Thanks!

Replies

• jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I was just searching on google for High protein sources because I'm still having trouble meeting my macros. Here's a pretty good list that I've come across. However, I am finding though that in order to meet my protein (especially on workout days) I will just have to start drinking 1 or 2 protein shakes a day even though I happen to be a person who loves to eat meat, nuts etc. It's hard to make that protein adjustment and sometimes you just have to supplement at first.

Anyways, here you go - I hope it helps.

Beef

Hamburger patty, 4 oz – 28 grams protein
    Steak, 6 oz – 42 grams
    Most cuts of beef – 7 grams of protein per ounce

Chicken

Chicken breast, 3.5 oz - 30 grams protein
    Chicken thigh – 10 grams (for average size)
    Drumstick – 11 grams
    Wing – 6 grams
    Chicken meat, cooked, 4 oz – 35 grams

Fish

Most fish fillets or steaks are about 22 grams of protein for 3 ½ oz (100 grams) of cooked fish, or 6 grams per ounce
    Tuna, 6 oz can - 40 grams of protein

Pork

Pork chop, average - 22 grams protein
    Pork loin or tenderloin, 4 oz – 29 grams
    Ham, 3 oz serving – 19 grams
    Ground pork, 1 oz raw – 5 grams; 3 oz cooked – 22 grams
    Bacon, 1 slice – 3 grams
    Canadian-style bacon (back bacon), slice – 5 – 6 grams

Eggs and Dairy

Egg, large - 6 grams protein
    Milk, 1 cup - 8 grams
    Cottage cheese, ½ cup - 15 grams
    Yogurt, 1 cup – usually 8-12 grams, check label
    Soft cheeses (Mozzarella, Brie, Camembert) – 6 grams per oz
    Medium cheeses (Cheddar, Swiss) – 7 or 8 grams per oz
    Hard cheeses (Parmesan) – 10 grams per oz

Beans (including soy)

Tofu, ½ cup 20 grams protein
    Tofu, 1 oz, 2.3 grams
    Soy milk, 1 cup - 6 -10 grams
    Most beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams protein per half cup of cooked beans
    Soy beans, ½ cup cooked – 14 grams protein
    Split peas, ½ cup cooked – 8 grams

Nuts and Seeds

Peanut butter, 2 Tablespoons - 8 grams protein
    Almonds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
    Peanuts, ¼ cup – 9 grams
    Cashews, ¼ cup – 5 grams
    Pecans, ¼ cup – 2.5 grams
    Sunflower seeds, ¼ cup – 6 grams
    Pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
    Flax seeds – ¼ cup – 8 grams
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    i'm a huge fan of greek yogurt. i get the fage containers that have 2 cups of yogurt in them. i eat one for breakfast. i put it in a smoothie this morning, but i often put my kashi berry crumble cereal in it and eat it that way. i add in some truvia for sweetness. i take the rest of the container, add some truvia and throw a cup of frozen blueberries in there and take it to work for a snack later on. you stir that up good later after the blueberries have thawed a bit, and you will be amazed at how delicious it is. seriously, my favorite snack. 23 grams of protein per cup. that's a third of my protein for the day.
  • jyska
    Options
    ... 23 grams of protein per cup. that's a third of my protein for the day.

you only need 69 gr/day? I'm trying to hit 165 or more!! Like today, it's at 208 and I still have to walk the dog.....I have mine set to 30% macro and that's what it gives me, (which is basically 1gr/lb plus more for exercise it seems) how do you get away with only 69g? Am I wrong in my calculations?
  • slammy1079
    slammy1079 Posts: 97
    Options
    @jyska - thanks for that! I often make giant lunch salads and today I added chic peas instead of having a side of crackers just to up the protein a bit. Two hard boiled eggs, too. And cottage cheese for a snack and a protein shake for breakfast!

I'm trying not to rely too much on deli turkey even though I love it - too high in sodium.

Greek yogurt is one of my favorite things on the planet! I was just thinking how, four years ago, I found it in NYC and was so jealous that it wasn't readily available where I live in VT. Now, it's not only available but we have our own local manufacturers!

As for amounts - I've heard 1 gram per pound and 1 gram per kilo....it seems to get 30% protein I need more like 1 gram per pound.

Ah well - I'll do what I can, eh? :)
  • guava6982
    guava6982 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am from BVT :-) Now living near Boston. I'm not sure how you feel about tofu, but Healthy Living makes amazing flavored baked tofu. They also have the recipes available on their website. This one is my favorite: http://healthylivingmarket.com/recipes/tomato-herb-tofu/. Seitan and tempeh are also both high in protein, although meat pretty much always wins out in the protein competition. I am a vegetarian, and it is really a struggle to get in enough protein. I have my macros set to 30% protein, which is 140g for me. I tend to make protein the first priority, and then build my meal plan around it. Lots of tofu stir-fries, bean chilis, stews with beans and/or seitan, tofu, tempeh, frittatas with veggies and cheese, quinoa in place of rice, sweet potato/veggie hash with fried eggs on top, burritos with black beans and crumbled tofu or TVP (textured vegetable protein), homemade protein bars...the list goes on. Breakfast is often Greek yogurt, although I recently discovered the deliciousness of cooked quinoa with protein powder and a little soymilk added. For lunch, I often make a whole batch of something to bring for the week, like veggie/bean chili, or baked tofu with roasted broccoli and quinoa.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter on an apple or banana
    cottage cheese mixed into eggs
    protein pancakes (my favourite)
    almonds
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options

you only need 69 gr/day? I'm trying to hit 165 or more!! Like today, it's at 208 and I still have to walk the dog.....I have mine set to 30% macro and that's what it gives me, (which is basically 1gr/lb plus more for exercise it seems) how do you get away with only 69g? Am I wrong in my calculations?

No, lady!! 23 per cup. I eat at least two cups most days. My protein goal is 147.
  • Shells06
    Shells06 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am also curious how much protien I should be shooting for each day. Great list jyska, thanks for sharing.
  • jyska
    Options

No, lady!! 23 per cup. I eat at least two cups most days. My protein goal is 147.

Haha!! ok! I thought something was wonky there! :tongue: Perhaps I need to 'read' a little more carefully next time....:blushing:

Does anyone know if we are supposed to eat the additional exercise protein that mfp adds? (my base protein is 165, but if I exercise it adds more....today I need about 222) Or do we just eat the base protein of 1g/lb?
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I have a hard enough time getting in my base protein!
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I am not a huge meat eater either but am getting better. :) I really love greek yogurt and use it in alot of recipes, from breads/desserts/etc to sauces, a sub for sour cream or cream cheese, etc. I also add a scoop of protein powder to oatmeal, smoothies, etc. Jamie Eason has some great recipes on Bodybuilding.com. I make her protein bars ans turkey muffins frequently and they are my go-to snacks. Hope that helps!
  • knowak82
    knowak82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I was just searching on google for High protein sources because I'm still having trouble meeting my macros. Here's a pretty good list that I've come across. However, I am finding though that in order to meet my protein (especially on workout days) I will just have to start drinking 1 or 2 protein shakes a day even though I happen to be a person who loves to eat meat, nuts etc. It's hard to make that protein adjustment and sometimes you just have to supplement at first.

Anyways, here you go - I hope it helps.

Beef

Hamburger patty, 4 oz – 28 grams protein
    Steak, 6 oz – 42 grams
    Most cuts of beef – 7 grams of protein per ounce

Chicken

Chicken breast, 3.5 oz - 30 grams protein
    Chicken thigh – 10 grams (for average size)
    Drumstick – 11 grams
    Wing – 6 grams
    Chicken meat, cooked, 4 oz – 35 grams

Fish

Most fish fillets or steaks are about 22 grams of protein for 3 ½ oz (100 grams) of cooked fish, or 6 grams per ounce
    Tuna, 6 oz can - 40 grams of protein

Pork

Pork chop, average - 22 grams protein
    Pork loin or tenderloin, 4 oz – 29 grams
    Ham, 3 oz serving – 19 grams
    Ground pork, 1 oz raw – 5 grams; 3 oz cooked – 22 grams
    Bacon, 1 slice – 3 grams
    Canadian-style bacon (back bacon), slice – 5 – 6 grams

Eggs and Dairy:

Egg, large - 6 grams protein
    Milk, 1 cup - 8 grams
    Cottage cheese, ½ cup - 15 grams
    Yogurt, 1 cup – usually 8-12 grams, check label
    Soft cheeses (Mozzarella, Brie, Camembert) – 6 grams per oz
    Medium cheeses (Cheddar, Swiss) – 7 or 8 grams per oz
    Hard cheeses (Parmesan) – 10 grams per oz

Beans (including soy)

Tofu, ½ cup 20 grams protein
    Tofu, 1 oz, 2.3 grams
    Soy milk, 1 cup - 6 -10 grams
    Most beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams protein per half cup of cooked beans
    Soy beans, ½ cup cooked – 14 grams protein
    Split peas, ½ cup cooked – 8 grams

Nuts and Seeds

Peanut butter, 2 Tablespoons - 8 grams protein
    Almonds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
    Peanuts, ¼ cup – 9 grams
    Cashews, ¼ cup – 5 grams
    Pecans, ¼ cup – 2.5 grams
    Sunflower seeds, ¼ cup – 6 grams
    Pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
    Flax seeds – ¼ cup – 8 grams

Don't forget TURKEY!!!! Great source of protein...

And, I am only 10 grams away from my daily goal today! First. Time. Ever...I might hit my macros. Whoot Whoot!!!!
    :bigsmile: