First Marathon Recap!

Options
So my first full marathon was yesterday doing the BMO Vancouver Marathon! I want to thank you again for all who gave advice when I was having very anxious feelings. :) Now for the recap....... I woke up at 4:30, showered and got ready. At 5 I ate a bowl of oatmeal with a squirt of maple syrup and cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top. My husband (who did it as well) and I left the house at 6 to give ourselves plenty of time to get there with all the road closures and whatnot. The race started at 8 and we were by the starting line by around 7:10. So we had plenty of time to stretch and go to the bathroom. It was a little chaotic near the start but our corral started about 8:15. Throughout the course there were many hills. I felt like I was going up and down the whole time. Because of the hills, in my opinion, I hit the wall at 15 miles! Yikes! Let me go back and say I took a pee break at 3 miles and then again at 13 miles. At 13 miles, I was feeling hungry and they were offering mini cliff bars so I grabbed a peanut butter one. I ate it, which I thought I did slowly and right afterwards I felt so nauseas. I thought I was going to be sick. But, I kept breathing and said if I keep going it will burn off and I will feel better. So on I went and then I hit the wall at 15. My legs started hurting so badly from what I think came from all the down hills since I was really feeling it in my lower shins. I stopped for a minute to stretch and kept thinking, how I am I going to make it since I have so much left? Well, I continued on just talking to myself and trying to motivate myself. I did as someone said and just gave myself different goals to get to. Another big hill came at mile 18 when we had to cross the bridge and again started to feel sick. My chest hurt, I felt dizzy and nauseas but I kept putting one foot in front of the other even though I was still in a lot of pain. I took my last GU at mile 20 and realized that this is what was making my heart race every time I took a GU. I was starting to feel weird from it. So I decided after mile 20 no more GU or water/gatorade stops. I wasn't sure if I was feeling sick from too much drinking or dehydration. Also received a lot of sun so could've been dehydration. Anyway, my bad knee that I injured during training started crapping out between mile 20-21. After 21 it was just more downhill from there body wise. I went from walking fast and jogging in spurts to walking slow from mile 23 and on. I honestly just wanted to lay down and die. I kept saying just make it to the finish and then pass out. haha I told my husband later I would have rather given birth again. haha I felt so bad. So in the end, I just kept reassuring myself if I took it slow I would make it. People kept saying you are almost there but in my mind there was so far away. My husband met me at mile 26 and told me to keep going the end was just up ahead and around the corner. I told him, I didn't think I could make it anymore. My legs wanted to give out and my feet were losing feeling. But he stayed with me until I had the last stretch and when I rounded the corner and saw the finish line, I sprinted for it with a huge smile on my face! I was so relieved and happy that I had made it. It was by far one of the hardest things I have ever done. I am so glad for this achievement in my life though. My half time was 2:55:35, my gun time was 6:30:09 and my chip time was 6:14:36. Even though to most that is really slow, for me I was super happy. haha Today, I can barely move as most of my body feels like I have been hit by a truck. My bad knee is completely stiff to where I can't really bend or straighten. Looks like this week will be a lot of rest and icing. Thanks for listening to my story! :)

Replies

• kelzz193
    kelzz193 Posts: 120
    Options
    So proud of you! You did it!!!!!!!
  • ginalclark
    ginalclark Posts: 35
    Options
    Thank you!! I DID IT!!! WOOHOOO! :)
  • _kimberly
    _kimberly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! YOU ARE A MARATHONER!! You are 26.2 miles stronger... you can do anything! ;)
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Very inspirational! I'll have to re-read all these stories when I am doing my first in October! Thanks for sharing!
  • ginalclark
    Options
    Yay!! Thanks guys! I am still smiling and crying! haha :)
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Awsome achievement! Yay!
  • ginalclark
    Options
    Thank you! :) Yay!! :)
  • StrongerByTheMiles
    Options
    I loved reading your story! I am now in training mode for my first full (October 21st) so I will be spending alot of time on message boards in this group! I love reading about other people's experiences. It helps so much to prepare yourself mentally and to remember that you are not alone. I know the miles will be tough, but you finished and it is encouraging!
  • loved1
    loved1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. Very inspirational. You are officially a marathoner!
  • what923
    what923 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Ditto- thanks for the inspiration! My first full is 10/13 - I've done the training but worry about unexpected complications (nausea, cramps, etc) on the day of. Now I know I can tell myself if it's anything short of what you endured- that I should just suck it up and Finish! Hope you are feeling much better by now & if you check back on the thread maybe update what you have on your plate for races now......
    anxiously waiting to join the club 26.2!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

BTW - gun time is totally moot in a big chip timed race. Your chip time is all that matters.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS! Awesome that you pushed through, and had great support at the end. You rocked it. :drinker:
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! Congrats!! I'm training for my first full in Nov.. currently dealig with IT Band probs so hopefully I'm able to actually run it!