Stage 1, modifying the program - advice

Options
Aineko
Aineko Posts: 163
I was hoping more experienced lady lifters could give me some thoughts on this. I started the program two weeks ago (did 6 workouts so far). This is the first time lifting for me, but before starting the program I was (kind of) doing P90X for about 5 weeks. I noticed that I was gaining strength quickly (quite a surprise for me), which is what got me really motivated to start serious lifting.
Now, I started NROLFW and loving it! However, to be honest, I'm getting bored with high reps. I know the program is meant to ease you into heavy lifting and that as beginners we should focus on a form, but I'm working with a trainer at least once a week, so he keeps an eye on my form, which has been pretty good so far.
Is there any reason, apart from possible problems with the form, why I shouldn't reduce the number or reps and increase weight (so instead of going 15-12-10-8 I'd go, from now on, 2x8 and finish stage 1 with, say 3x5 or 3x6)?
I found myself the other day, after finishing workout A, checking out heavier weights for deadlift and doing 6 just for fun :).

Replies

• laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Since you're not a beginner, I'd say there's it's up to you. Some people will disagree and say the program is written the way it is for a reason, but in my opinion the reason is to ease you into it.

But maybe you just want to switch to stronglifts 5x5 instead and give/sell the book to someone else :)

Though in my opinion, the program is good for all the other stuff that it does - such as balance and working on some of the smaller muscles that need to be strengthened (i.e. the YTWL stuff)
  • Aineko
    Options
    Since you're not a beginner, I'd say there's it's up to you. Some people will disagree and say the program is written the way it is for a reason, but in my opinion the reason is to ease you into it.

But maybe you just want to switch to stronglifts 5x5 instead and give/sell the book to someone else :)

Though in my opinion, the program is good for all the other stuff that it does - such as balance and working on some of the smaller muscles that need to be strengthened (i.e. the YTWL stuff)
    thanks Laura!
    I just know that in the past boredom has been the main killer of my exercise motivation. In fact these 7 weeks or so have been the longest period I ever managed to stick to exercising and that's all because I discovered strength training.
    I actually like the workouts of NROLFW and planing to continue with it for now, but really feel like I'd be happier with less reps/higher weights (seems to give me more motivation).
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Stage 1 modified to 3x6. I went through it once as written and then decided to work on strength for awhile before moving on to Stage 2. I agree with Laura that the progression is set up to ease someone into lifting. Otherwise, the fundamental programming isn't really that unique--it's just basic compound lifts.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    You can def. do lower reps, but if you have left 6 reps for deads at the end of the wotkout you should up your weights and see how that goes with the higher reps.
  • Aineko
    Options
    You can def. do lower reps, but if you have left 6 reps for deads at the end of the wotkout you should up your weights and see how that goes with the higher reps.
    hmm, maybe, but to be fair I did give myself few minutes of rest before doing those deadlifts. :)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I would do 8 reps for 2 weeks then do to session 2.
  • Aineko
    Options
    that might work well. In three weeks I'm going on a holiday for a week so that could be my rest week. I'll do 2x8 for 2 weeks, then do that max rep week before going away and start stage 2 when I come back.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I just moved on from stage 1 about 2 weeks early because I was bored. This is your program and it says in the book that you can do whatever you want with it, but once you stray from the program it is no longer the program . . . kwim? If you find the weight isn't challenging (as in you're not struggling through the last one) then go ahead and bump those weights and see what happens, you may just be pleasantly surprised! :happy:
  • Aineko
    Options
    yeah, I added 12.5kg to squat yesterday (did 2x8, total weight 32.5 kg) and that was awesome! :) For the first time I felt like my legs gonna give up at one point but managed to push through. :)