I'm hungry!!!

Options
cpa8198
cpa8198 Posts: 154 Member
ALL THE TIME...

Why? Why? Why?

I eat and eat and eat... until the good stuff is gone... then I'm like "Oh, a bag of chips"... nope, still hungry... "Oh, banana bread".... nope, still hungry... drink lots of water... hungry.... brush my teeth... hungry... take a nap... hungry...

I have upped my calories to 1750... I'm eating over 2000 and I am still hungry...

what is going on????

Replies

• DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help, but I'd like to keep an eye on this.

I'm eating 1600 a day (took 300 off as per the book to lose weight) and I have a 40/30/30 macro goal. I try to get TONS of protein but I find that on most days unless I push myself REALLY hard during the workout, I starve all day :<
  • tinkerbell42381
    tinkerbell42381 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this - I went from 1200 to 1700-2000 cals/day, and I've been doing it for about 3 weeks...and I am so hungry! You'd think I'd be full considering I eat almost double the cals I used to, but no. Hungry all the time.
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I used to eat 1420, then upped to 1540, then 1600 (all over a month span) so it's not a huge just I suppose. But dang, I didn't use to be hungry 24/7
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I find that when I spend time preparing the food, it's more satisfying when I eat it.

Maybe a distracting phrase you can repeat to yourself? I sometimes tell myself YOU ARE NOT STARVING, YOU JUST ATE, SHUT THE HELL UP and that seems to help... then I chew some gum... and keep busy
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I can't see your food diary, but are you trying for 40-30-30 macros? What's your protein target on lifting & non-lifting days? How close do you get to meeting those targets? Are you super-hungry all the time? Or just on lifting days?
  • cpa8198
    Options
    I can't see your food diary, but are you trying for 40-30-30 macros? What's your protein target on lifting & non-lifting days? How close do you get to meeting those targets? Are you super-hungry all the time? Or just on lifting days?

Calories Carbs Fat Protein
    1,450 145 48 109

That's my settings - then I eat back any exercise calories.

Yes, I am hungry all the time... I haven't lifted today... and I just had lunch not even an hour ago and I am already hungry :(
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Are you getting that 100+ grams of protein? I'm finding it to be fairly difficult, but I think it makes a big difference in satisfying hunger.
  • austelle
    austelle Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I second the protein thing, make it your mission to get at least 1 gram per pound of lean body mass in your tummy every day. It helps with satiety and will help preserve all that muscle you are building.
  • cpa8198
    Options
    Hmmm.... the days where I saved my calories (like when I know we are going for Mexican food)... I don't make my protein numbers, because I skip my protein shake/bars on those days. Last week was eating out week at work plus Cinco de Mayo over the weekend.... that might explain it.

I'll watch my protein and see if that is the cause.

Thanks ladies!
  • Aineko
    Aineko Posts: 163
    Options
    I was like that for about 10 days when I started, just wanted to eat anything in sight lol. I'm guessing body gets shocked at first and then slowly adapts. However, there's always a possibility that you are not eating enough cals. Play around with that number and see how you feel.
    In terms of protein, mine is set up to 15% since I can't do high protein and I don't think it makes any difference for me.
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Eh, it might not be so bad - perhaps our bodies just want help gaining muscle?

I'm eating 2,000 - 2,200 calories a day and not gaining much (finally gained 2 pounds this week, I think. We'll see if it holds up).

But then, I'm trying to gain a little.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Make sure the food you are adding is not full of bad carbs because those can make you hungry when they spike your blood sugar? I only say that because you mention banana bread and a bag of chips.
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I think I'm just now getting to the hunger stage. But strangely enough, I seem to be a lot hungrier on days I don't workout. Anyone else?
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I think I'm just now getting to the hunger stage. But strangely enough, I seem to be a lot hungrier on days I don't workout. Anyone else?
    ME TOO! I was going to post this.
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I do get hungrier on non lift days too. I decided to eat when I .hungry, since I am breastfeeding and what I want to eat is healthy.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I get truly extreme hunger, and I'm actually too embarrassed to say how many calories I consumed today! Lifting days, non-lifting days ... hunger all the time since starting the NROLFW, and if I don't eat I feel SO bad! Amazingly, I don't seem to have gained much weight ...
  • GinaKB12
    GinaKB12 Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm so glad I saw this!!! I thought I was going CRAZY!!! I want to EAT EVERYTHING and I'm only 2 days into the program... Glad to know I'm not the only one.... I'm having a hard time getting the protein in... I can hit everything else, but I always have like 80 grams leftover...
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I find I am starving the day AFTER a lift session.. I cannot seem to get enough. I do make good choices, increase my protein amounts, have an extra shake or so.. but it is common after lifting:)
  • mgaither
    mgaither Posts: 115
    Options
    ME TOO! I was going to post this.

Ditto. I'm new to this whole thing, and now that I'm up to 1600-1700 from 1200 daily, I'm always hungry.
    Learned a new lesson though: Have to stock my kitchen with more healthy foods than normal, because once I go through them, anything is game!
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm hungrier on rest days. Also grumpier, that lack of endorphins really brings out all the ambient body pain. :(

It does help to spread your calories out across the week instead of doing the exercise calorie method. I've decided to do a goal of 2k a day regardless of my activity.. unless I burn over 3k total calories in a day, then I'll add a few to bring the deficit down.

Also, don't neglect your fats either. A few tbs of guacamole seems to curb the hunger for a bit. Mm-mm-mm.