TDEE question

Options
twinmomtwice4
twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
Since joining this group almost 7 weeks ago, I've been basing my TDEE on a number I got from one of the websites that was recommended. I recently went from a 20% cut to a 15% cut so eating roughly about 1800 calories per day.

I got a BodyMedia Fit last week and I've been wearing it religiously for the last 8 days. I thought I'd run a report just to see what my average calorie burn per day has been over the 8 days and the report said 3066 !!!

My average calories consumed is 1874 (there were a few days I netted below my BMR and had to eat back some calories) and my average daily calorie deficit is 1192.

I'm worried that my deficit is too large. I was aiming for a deficit of about 250-500, certainly not something over 1000.

Should I continue to go by the TDEE given to me by the website? Or should I go by what my BMF is telling me at this point even though it's only been 8 days?

I normally wouldn't worry too much about it but it's such a huge difference that I don't want to mess up the success I've been having so far!!

Thanks for any advice/feedback you can provide!! :smile:

Replies

• lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I would say if you start stalling, definitely up your calories some more. If you are feeling hungry, up your calories some more. I don't know anything about the BodyMedia Fit, so I can't speak for its accuracy.
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this group, but I also have a bmf and I usually burn around 3k a day if I don't hit the gym and 3.3 to 3.5k if i do hit the gym. I am 6ft and 245 so you can judge my size and gauge your results. I don't know your stats but 3k for you sounds pretty high, but it's not out of the question if you are doing a lot of cardio. Hope that helps?

Ps- i notice you show 500+ extra calories from exercise today. Can you specify what that was from and was that your bmf estimate? This can help determine if you are getting a high estimate or not from exercise. As an example for me my bmf the other day said I only burned about 350 calories for 60 mins on the stairstepper machine and that was a pretty tiring workout for me lol.
  • beachdiva2010
    beachdiva2010 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I look forward to hearing answers to this great question!!
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this group, but I also have a bmf and I usually burn around 3k a day if I don't hit the gym and 3.3 to 3.5k if i do hit the gym. I am 6ft and 245 so you can judge my size and gauge your results. I don't know your stats but 3k for you sounds pretty high, but it's not out of the question if you are doing a lot of cardio. Hope that helps?

Ps- i notice you show 500+ extra calories from exercise today. Can you specify what that was from and was that your bmf estimate? This can help determine if you are getting a high estimate or not from exercise. As an example for me my bmf the other day said I only burned about 350 calories for 60 mins on the stairstepper machine and that was a pretty tiring workout for me lol.

I know, I was surprised that it said 3066!! I thought it would've been right around 2400-2600.

You bring up an interest point about the workout calories. I've been doing a lot of bike riding and a woman in this group who also has a BMF recommended wearing it on my calf since I didn't feel like wearing it on my arm while riding my bike was giving me a very accurate reading. It almost doubled my calories burned once I started doing that. Like, today I burned 330 on the same bike ride that was only estimated at 150 when I was wearing it on my arm. And it finally considered it "vigorous" exercise instead of just moderate, which pleased me because I was towing 2 of my kids in the bike trailer behind me (100 pounds combined!)

I also swam for quite awhile yesterday and that burn was pretty high. My BMF estimated it at like over 900 calories burned!

So my exercise from today was 330 from the bike ride and 198 from my circuit training. It was all estimated from my BMF(wearing it on my calf for both workouts).
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    I would say if you start stalling, definitely up your calories some more. If you are feeling hungry, up your calories some more. I don't know anything about the BodyMedia Fit, so I can't speak for its accuracy.

I just upped my calories about a week ago so I'm feeling pretty satisfied right now in terms of food intake! I'll know this Friday if I'm stalling on my weight loss, as that's my weigh-in day.
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options

I know, I was surprised that it said 3066!! I thought it would've been right around 2400-2600.

You bring up an interest point about the workout calories. I've been doing a lot of bike riding and a woman in this group who also has a BMF recommended wearing it on my calf since I didn't feel like wearing it on my arm while riding my bike was giving me a very accurate reading. It almost doubled my calories burned once I started doing that. Like, today I burned 330 on the same bike ride that was only estimated at 150 when I was wearing it on my arm. And it finally considered it "vigorous" exercise instead of just moderate, which pleased me because I was towing 2 of my kids in the bike trailer behind me (100 pounds combined!)

I also swam for quite awhile yesterday and that burn was pretty high. My BMF estimated it at like over 900 calories burned!

So my exercise from today was 330 from the bike ride and 198 from my circuit training. It was all estimated from my BMF(wearing it on my calf for both workouts).

If you moved it to your calf and noticed a double increase in calories that's probably the issue. I would not do that unless you want to get high numbers that are probably not correct. I know on the stairstepper machine it does not estimate my steps correctly and if I move it to another part of my arm it helps but then I suspect my calorie estimate is wrong, and that is the most important estimate to me lol.

Also did you say you swim with your bmf on? And if it said you burnt 900 in an hour that is possible if you were going all out I guess but you would have to gauge your level of exertion(sp?). For my bmf to say I burnt 900 in an hour I would have to be at around a 6mph jog for a full 60 minutes which I can't even do at my current weight. The highest burn I have achieved is about 16 calories per minute running at 6.5mph for a minute or two. Check out your calories burn and see what your highest point is, if it is as high as mine or higher then I would suspect it is wrong as you don't look to be my size :)

Ps-I just like trying to figure out more about my bmf and hearing other's results helps give me some perspective if mine is correct or not as sometimes I beleive it underestimates vs. your problem of over estimating.
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    Okay, that's exactly what I was wondering about moving it from my arm to my calf. I guess I was just disappointed to be working my *kitten* off on those bike rides and only burning a measly 150 calories...LOL!! When I would wear my HRM, my burn was much higher so I thought (and was hoping) that the calf estimate would be correct!!

No I didn't wear my BMF while swimming. When I checked my calorie burn for the swimming, I had to do the "add off-body activity" option. I actually lowered the amount too because I felt what it was estimating was still too high. My level of exertion was pretty high though for at least 20 minutes....doing laps in an olympic sized pool without a break. And then the other 40 minutes was swimming at a leisurely pace.

Today during the bike ride, my highest calories burned per minute was 11.3
  • pg1girl
    pg1girl Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Okay, that's exactly what I was wondering about moving it from my arm to my calf. I guess I was just disappointed to be working my *kitten* off on those bike rides and only burning a measly 150 calories...LOL!! When I would wear my HRM, my burn was much higher so I thought (and was hoping) that the calf estimate would be correct!!

No I didn't wear my BMF while swimming. When I checked my calorie burn for the swimming, I had to do the "add off-body activity" option. I actually lowered the amount too because I felt what it was estimating was still too high. My level of exertion was pretty high though for at least 20 minutes....doing laps in an olympic sized pool without a break. And then the other 40 minutes was swimming at a leisurely pace.

Today during the bike ride, my highest calories burned per minute was 11.3

How long and how far did you bike? I am 5'4", weigh 135 lbs with a solid and muscular frame. I know that I have a good Cardio base and my calorie burn isnt super high anymore as it is really tough for me to keep my hr btwn 155 and 165. For a 20km bike ride on my road bike on the trainer inside (not a lot of hill work) I do it in about 44 minutes and burn roughly 300 calories. Depending on how long you are riding 150 does not sound even close to what you would be burning. I am an avid bike and I know how much harder I work outside with a bike stroller attached to my bike. I'm really curious as toyour time and distance.

Kathy
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    It's 3.4 miles round trip. I basically ride my bike (with 2 kids in the trailer) from home to the school to pick up my other 2 children.

On the way there, it took me 24 minutes (had to stop at a couple traffic lights). On the way back, it took me about 30 minutes.