Anyone Hiking this Weekend?

Options
I can't wait for the weekends to get here, because not only am I off work but I also get to go hiking!! Best workout and stress release ever!! We are planning on doing 10 mile at Patapsco State Park tomorrow! This will be the furthest that we have hiked with our packs (and I think that furthest I have ever knowly hiked!!) So stoked!! Anyone else getting out there this weekend?!

Replies

• katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I did my longest hike, ever, yesterday. I walked about 23 miles, from Loch Fyne to Loch Awe and then over to the village of Kilmartin. It took a little over 8 hours, and it was a lot of fun.
  • beckykceb
    beckykceb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    We are hiking Ferne Clyffe tomorrow (we do 2-3 times a week actually....as well as Giant City and Garden of the Gods).

Granted, we only do about 2 miles as I have my children with me (2 and 4), but that doesn't mean we stick to the flat trails! Our favorite spot is Hawk's Cave trail, all up hill and once you get to the top there are TONS of wicked rocks to climb on! :)
  • ktbkitten
    ktbkitten Posts: 63
    Options
    Great to see that people got out this weekend!! I didn't get to do my 10 miles :( But still got a total of 8 miles in this weekend so that isn't too bad AND we found a cool new trail area to explore! Win!!

Beckyceb - How do your kids like hiking. My 7 year old is all aganist it when we tell him we're going, excited for a while once we get there and then a total grump when we are almost done....he was more into hiking when he was younger.

Katy - that is awesome to hike 23 miles!! Congrats!! I hope to be able to hike that far in a day eventually! Building up to 10 miles is proving to be a challenge so far. But we have about 20-30lb packs so that we can get used to backpacking. Do you just carry a light day pack?
  • katysmelly
    Options
    We are hiking Ferne Clyffe tomorrow (we do 2-3 times a week actually....as well as Giant City and Garden of the Gods).

Granted, we only do about 2 miles as I have my children with me (2 and 4), but that doesn't mean we stick to the flat trails! Our favorite spot is Hawk's Cave trail, all up hill and once you get to the top there are TONS of wicked rocks to climb on! :)

I love that you take your really small kids with you! I need to do that, more. I take my 7-year-old on some walks, but not much over a couple of miles.
  • katysmelly
    Options

Katy - that is awesome to hike 23 miles!! Congrats!! I hope to be able to hike that far in a day eventually! Building up to 10 miles is proving to be a challenge so far. But we have about 20-30lb packs so that we can get used to backpacking. Do you just carry a light day pack?

Yes. all I carried was a flask of tea, some snacks, and maps, kindle, etc. Most of my bag was full of extra fleeces that I thought I'd need but quickly shed.

It's easy to walk really long distances here. You don't have to find a bit of wilderness or a park to go on a long walk. Walking is expected in the UK. There are tons of footpaths. In Scotland, you can pretty much go anywhere, so long as you don't disturb property or livestock, and there are a lot of forestry roads or ancient drovers roads. So, to walk from town to town is pretty normal and easy to do.

I have a tumblr blog where I post some photos of my walks:

http://argyllwalksandpics.tumblr.com/
  • beckykceb
    beckykceb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    ktbkitten - They LOVE it!!!! We are naturally outdoor people. It is rare that we are inside. My youngest (just turned 2 in April) asks daily to go hiking. ha. Nothing makes me prouder! :) They both do extremely well on the trails (neither have to be strolled/carried in a backpack) and because of the mobility we are no longer limited to flat paths and trails.

I am hoping their desire to explore nature is something that stays with them for a long time! We are embarking on our first camping adventure next weekend over mothers day! It's going to be a blast!!!!!!
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    bump.