2nd week......Pls Help

Options
2»

Replies

• Lysandra81
    Lysandra81 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    And agreeing with the sites linked - the smith machine tends to have a higher risk of injuries due to the unnatural movement.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    hmmm thanks for the links....kinda bummed out now because I dont know what else to do. I dont feel like I'm moving any differently with the smith machine as i would doing squats with a barbell, but that doesnt mean that I'm not. The other option I have is to do it with barbells i suppose, but I worry that as I progress to heavier weights Im goign to have a hard time getting them up to my shoulders
  • Lysandra81
    Lysandra81 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you have a look into the book there are dumbell squats listed as well. You hold the weights in your hands at the side of your body not on your shoulders. I am doing this right now and it works nicely. Once I go over 100lbs for squats though I will need to move to another gym with a better free weights section.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    If you have a look into the book there are dumbell squats listed as well. You hold the weights in your hands at the side of your body not on your shoulders. I am doing this right now and it works nicely. Once I go over 100lbs for squats though I will need to move to another gym with a better free weights section.

yea i'm already at 105 for squats as of today - granted that was using the smith machine

i did some snooping around today and found a small room that had one of those angled leg press things and chess press things and also what looked to be something like a squat rack. A woman had rigged it so she was doing hanging ab exercises from it, but it looked like it had adjustable levels on it that you could move a bar to. I might ask someone else next time I'm there if they can show me if/how it can be set up for squats
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    I could not do even one proper squat, with just my body weight, when I started NROL4W. And, I *thought* I was in good shape - having done various forms of cardio for about 6 hours per week and practising bikram hot yoga 3 times per week.

I could NOT do even ONE squat, with proper form, no weight. Not one.

I called a personal trainer in to help me through my entire first month of NROL4W. By the end of month 1, I could do a proper body weight squat. And so, I started progressively adding more weight.

I am starting Stage 5, today - so am not at the end of the program. My *original* goal was to be lifting my body weight on the bar, during a back-squat by the END of NROL4W. I think that will be a difficult goal to achieve. But, I might get very close!! We shall see.

It is a marathon. Not a sprint.

It is the journey. Not the destination.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    Oh, and it is FORM before WEIGHT, too.

Get your form down....form, form, form....then you'll be able to start moving up in weight, without injury and without overtraining.

Form is key. Mine, in TONS of the NROL4W exercises, sucked, sucked, sucked.

I'm much better now!!