Bulking and cutting (Kiki)

Options
I've started reading Kiki's blog and ran across this......

Benefits of bulking include:

*The most obvious benefit is to add muscle mass, since muscle building cannot take place in a caloric deficit.

Is this really true? I guess I'm confused. I thought the whole purpose of lifting heavy while cutting was to build muscle which will help burn fat. If I can't build muscle while in a deficit, then why am I lifting? I'm trying to understand the whole bulking and cutting thing.

Halp. :smile:

Replies

• Newme012
    Newme012 Posts: 43
    Options
    Oooo - I have that question, too! I previously lost weight by lifting/cardio at 1500-1600 calories per day (net!). I had muscle definition... Is it that you can't develop "as much" on a deficit? Or, maybe you don't "lose muscle" as you do if you did cardio only?
  • trosewine
    trosewine Posts: 88
    Options
    On a deficit lifting helps to preserve the muscle you have. It can appear you are getting "bigger" muscles as the fat disappears. But also, I think with people who have a higher % of fat (i.e. lots to lose), it is possible to build some muscle and still lose fat.
  • Newme012
    Newme012 Posts: 43
    Options
    Bump. Any other thoughts ?
  • trishadams
    trishadams Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    On a deficit lifting helps to preserve the muscle you have. It can appear you are getting "bigger" muscles as the fat disappears. But also, I think with people who have a higher % of fat (i.e. lots to lose), it is possible to build some muscle and still lose fat.

I agree with this. My understanding is that it is very difficult to build muscle while in a calorie deficit and that you should focus on one goal - building muscle or losing fat. Or, of course, just maintaining.
  • geetabean
    geetabean Posts: 76
    Options
    This makes me wonder though.....are all of the people who are following NROL4W at their goal weights while they are doing the workouts? The books whole premise is to eat at a deficit (not a huge deficit, but still a deficit) and to lift weights to build muscle that will help burn fat. Technically, if the above statement about not being able to build muscle while at a deficit is true, then the whole book is bunk. This all makes me crazy in the head. :sad:

I'm gonna keep lifting, but I don't understand why there is so much contradictory information out there. I just want someone to tell me what the right thing to do is and for it to make sense.
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I've started reading Kiki's blog and ran across this......

Benefits of bulking include:

*The most obvious benefit is to add muscle mass, since muscle building cannot take place in a caloric deficit.

Is this really true? I guess I'm confused. I thought the whole purpose of lifting heavy while cutting was to build muscle which will help burn fat. If I can't build muscle while in a deficit, then why am I lifting? I'm trying to understand the whole bulking and cutting thing.

Halp. :smile:
    Whether or not you can build muscle or not during a cut I am not sure about, what I am sure of is you can get stronger while losing weight if you maintain enough protein and other macros. Another reason I normally hear is that you will keep more muscle during weight loss if you are working it, hence the body thinks you need it so it will be less inclined to shed muscle vs. fat. Again this is assuming you are eating enough protein and not overworking your body.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, it may help to read the next blog that came after that one, which addresses that exact question :wink:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/31prvrbs/view/the-accidental-bulker-217519

Also, those newer to strength training can on rare occasion gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, but again it is rare. The best way I can think to explain it is trying to drive your car w/the emergency brake on. You will either A) spin your wheels, or B) you may go at first, but eventually you will wear the brake out.

Hope it clears thing up a bit..

Kiki