Question for the calorie conscious tattoo community

Options
Ekoria
Ekoria Posts: 262 Member
I have an 8 hour tattoo session booked in in the next few weeks and although I have a lot of tattoos already and have had a 7 hour session prior to this I am wondering what the best plan is for eating the day.

I need to keep my sugar levels up as I don't want to flake out half way through (it's at a tattoo convention and I don't want to embarrass myself lol) so do you guys have any thoughts on what I should eat?

P.S: Any one who hates tattoo's/tattooed people need not reply :P

Replies

• grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I know how you're feeling about this! I have a 5 hour session booked next month and I don't know what I'm going to eat!

When I have a big session coming up I usually have a bigger than usual breakfast in the morning. Maybe scrambled eggs, beans and toast. Something quite healthy but still substantial enough to keep me going.

One of my friends told me once to take a few sweets, lollies or boiled sweets, something to keep your sugar levels up and not too heavy on calories if you keep it to a few throughout the session.

I always keep a bottle of full fat coke and a bottle of water on hand too. I usually don't drink all the coke but it's just handy to have!

Hope that's helpful in some way!

Which convention are you getting tattooed at? & by whom? (Sorry if I'm being nosy! :P )I was hoping to get to Liverpool this year but it doesn't look possible financially! :(
  • Ekoria
    Options
    I know how you're feeling about this! I have a 5 hour session booked next month and I don't know what I'm going to eat!

When I have a big session coming up I usually have a bigger than usual breakfast in the morning. Maybe scrambled eggs, beans and toast. Something quite healthy but still substantial enough to keep me going.

One of my friends told me once to take a few sweets, lollies or boiled sweets, something to keep your sugar levels up and not too heavy on calories if you keep it to a few throughout the session.

I always keep a bottle of full fat coke and a bottle of water on hand too. I usually don't drink all the coke but it's just handy to have!

Which convention are you getting tattooed at? & by whom? (Sorry if I'm being nosy! :P )I was hoping to get to Liverpool this year but it doesn't look possible financially! :(

Thanks that is really helpful :)

I was thinking of having some Oat So simple for breakfast and maybe taking some sweets with me (possibly a small chocolate bar). I like the idea with the full fat coke, it's always best to have something like that on hand just to stave off any potential crashes.

Not nosey at all!! I am going to the Plymouth Tattoo Convention, this will be my 3rd year of going and each time I have managed to get tattooed by some awesome people. This year I am being Tattooed by Tim Hinton (he runs a shop in Truro, Cornwall called House of Mojo).

Sorry you can't make it to Liverpool. Do you mind me asking what you are getting done in your session and where it is going to be?

Mine is an Audrey Kawasaki picture and it is going on my right arm (my left arm is full lol)

Thanks again!
  • katiepatati
    katiepatati Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yeah i would say the same - sweets, a bag of mints or anything to quickly put in your mouth if you are feeling faint to raise your blood levels. I suffer from low blood sugar so always carry around a bag of pear drops just incase I start to feel funny, after a few seconds, the sweet sorts me out :)

Really jealous that you go to tattoo conventions, I am in the process of booking my second tattoo and so excited but the waiting list is huge so I'm having to wait until atleast middle of june :(
  • grrrlface
    Options

I was thinking of having some Oat So simple for breakfast and maybe taking some sweets with me (possibly a small chocolate bar). I like the idea with the full fat coke, it's always best to have something like that on hand just to stave off any potential crashes.

Not nosey at all!! I am going to the Plymouth Tattoo Convention, this will be my 3rd year of going and each time I have managed to get tattooed by some awesome people. This year I am being Tattooed by Tim Hinton (he runs a shop in Truro, Cornwall called House of Mojo).

Sorry you can't make it to Liverpool. Do you mind me asking what you are getting done in your session and where it is going to be?

Mine is an Audrey Kawasaki picture and it is going on my right arm (my left arm is full lol)

Thanks again!

I'm getting my chest piece started, I'm hoping to get as much done as possible in one session but we're seeing how it goes in the time I have and how I feel. (I've heard it hurts! :P) It's custom, not seen the design yet but I know it's going to be amazing! :D

Hope you have a great day at Plymouth! I'm jealous! :D:D
  • New_Keeley
    New_Keeley Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Lots of water and boiled sweets sounds like the way forward!! FairPlay to you guys for sitting for such long sessions!! I have 5tattoos but nothing that has taken more than 40mins!!

Post a pic when it's done!!!
  • Ekoria
    Options
    Yeah i would say the same - sweets, a bag of mints or anything to quickly put in your mouth if you are feeling faint to raise your blood levels. I suffer from low blood sugar so always carry around a bag of pear drops just incase I start to feel funny, after a few seconds, the sweet sorts me out :)

Really jealous that you go to tattoo conventions, I am in the process of booking my second tattoo and so excited but the waiting list is huge so I'm having to wait until atleast middle of june :(

Thank you, this sounds like good advixce :)

I hope you enjoy your tattoo session when it eventually rolls around. It will be all worth it when you get it done, a good tattoo is worth waiting for :)
  • Ekoria
    Options

Thanks again!

I'm getting my chest piece started, I'm hoping to get as much done as possible in one session but we're seeing how it goes in the time I have and how I feel. (I've heard it hurts! :P) It's custom, not seen the design yet but I know it's going to be amazing! :D

Hope you have a great day at Plymouth! I'm jealous! :D:D

Aw thats cool, I need to get my chest re-coloured, I lost a lot of ink afterwards. I hope you have a great time. And thanks, I am very excited about the convention :)
  • Ekoria
    Options
    Lots of water and boiled sweets sounds like the way forward!! FairPlay to you guys for sitting for such long sessions!! I have 5tattoos but nothing that has taken more than 40mins!!

Post a pic when it's done!!!

Thanks, it definately sounds like the best idea. I am being entered into the "best of show" competition after it is completed so I may end up with my face in the paper lol. Will post that on here if a I do...be good for a giggle :D
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Drumstick lollies are my tattoo sweetie of choice lol, I love to be able to bite down. Fruit is good sugars too.
  • missrat
    missrat Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Wow - I don't have any tattoos or piercings (I'm 66) and had no idea sessions could take so long! However, I have a friend with Type 1 diabetes who has some incredible tattoos, and I will ask how she manages - or even get suggestions from the 'body modification' thread on one of the rat forums!
  • Whisperinghorse
    Whisperinghorse Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My last session was 5 hours and I'd just started losing weight. I had a fairly decent sized brekkie and took nuts, bananas etc with me for breaks...

I do OK after the 'Five Minute Wobble' always have to have a small break after 5 mins and a cool fan, then I'm fine, bring it on all day :wink: Wish I knew how to stop the leg twitches when having legs done though :blushing:
  • missrat
    missrat Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Kate says that drinking plenty of water is the major thing, and low-dditive things to suck etc.
  • grrrlface
    Options
    My last session was 5 hours and I'd just started losing weight. I had a fairly decent sized brekkie and took nuts, bananas etc with me for breaks...

I do OK after the 'Five Minute Wobble' always have to have a small break after 5 mins and a cool fan, then I'm fine, bring it on all day :wink: Wish I knew how to stop the leg twitches when having legs done though :blushing:

I wish I could stop the twitches too! I have a couple of wonky lines on my leg and on my foot! Completely my own fault! My artist wasn't impressed with me, he's a perfectionist... I apologised about 20 times before leaving! :D
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    How did it go?

My man had a 4 hour sitting today, serious props to you for going 6!