WHAT do you eat?

Options
MotherGoddess
MotherGoddess Posts: 49 Member
It looks like every other post is about how much we should eat. I get the concept and have my numbers figured, but it seems to be very close to what I was eating when I was gaining weight. Do you eat what ever you want, or is there a prescribed diet that everyone is adhering to within those calorie guidelines. Is the heavy lifting what makes the difference between packing on the pounds and slimming down?

Replies

• rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hi. You have to customize your MFP goals. Set your calorie source percentages to 40 carbs, 30 protein and 30 fats. You can also set fiber to 30 grams and try to stay within the recommended 2500 sodium. A lot of our diaries are open, so you can browse through them to see what everyone is eating.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I eat a good mix of protein, carbs and fats.

This is a typical day for me:

Breakfast: eggs with ham, and a piece of toast or oatmeal protein pancakes or high fibre cereal

Lunch: whole wheat wrap with chicken and veggies, OR Tuna sandwhich OR leftovers (I always have a side of fruit with my lunch)

Dinner: It's different all the time, tonight I made a healthy version of Butter Chicken with Naan, last night was chili, some nights it's just meat and salad.

Snacks: almonds, greek yogurt with some all bran buds mixed in, banana or apple with peanut butter, grapes, hot chocolate, glass of chocolate milk etc.
  • trosewine
    trosewine Posts: 88
    Options
    A lot of folks do 40/30/30 macros (as mentioned above). Personally I try to hit a minimum of 100G protein daily and then I eat whatever else fits calorie-wise.

Since this is a journey to maintaining my health and weight, I incorporate a wide variety of foods - healthy and junky - just so I can live with it. (My diary has regular ice cream and pop tarts and McDonalds in it - but really moderate portions for the first time in my life...LOL)

It's a process that ebbs and flows, but the trend is that I am eating waaaay more fruits and veggies and lean meats and nuts and good fats and fiber than I ever have, so that in itself is a victory of health for me.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I eat so much differently than I used to. I eat now mostly clean foods...very little sugar....no junk, no fast food. I also eat fruit mostly with my breakfast and I might have some as an afternoon snack but I mostly stick to fresh veggies, whole grains and protein.
  • trishadams
    trishadams Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I try to eat clean and find snacks that fit into my goals. I cook a lot of meals from clean eating magazine.
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I try to eat fairly clean during the week. I flex a little more on the weekends. It gives me something to look forward to and prevents binging. If I like something, I can eat it every day for several days, so I buy lots of it. For example, I love kefir, so I keep it in the house at all times. I have a list of foods that I love to eat regularly and I shop quite frequently to make sure I have enough of them.

Examples of staples in my diet:
    Grapefruit
    Mandarin Oranges
    Kefir
    Bolthouse protein shakes
    Pudding
    Tuna/sardines
    Romaine and baby spring mix salad greens
    Greek dressing and honey dijon dressing

On weekends you will see a Krispy Kreme doughnut, fried chicken with honey, champagne, etc. I typically "save up" calories for dining out on those days. I'm a foodie and I love going to different restaurants, so I would rather moderate than eliminate. I usually will just halve portions and take some home or split it with someone else at the table.

My diary is open if you're curious.
  • ecrogers4
    ecrogers4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I eat Primal. So - no grains, no sugar. I eat a lot of protein - about 100g a day. The rest of my macro's fall where they may... but I try and keep carbs under 100g.

Example of my eating:
    Breakfast - Paleo Meatballs and Salsa (yes, I know it's weird... but they're so good and easy to get ready the night before to grab on my way out the door)
    - omelete with broccoli or asparagus (why oh why doesn't this thing have a spell check!???)

Post-workout snack - greek yogurt & fruit of some sort

Lunch - Salad with chicken or salmon on it

Supper - Salmon, chicken, steak or pork - with A HUGE portion of veggies.

I haven't had my journal open... but I will open it up now to friends if you want to look. :blushing:
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    I try to eat clean and find snacks that fit into my goals. I cook a lot of meals from clean eating magazine.

Your diary looks awesome, what do you think about the Power PB? Does it taste good?
  • trishadams
    trishadams Posts: 104 Member
    Options

Your diary looks awesome, what do you think about the Power PB? Does it taste good?

I love it. It tastes really good, has about 20% less cals than other natural peanut butters and has a clean ingredient list. The flax seeds provide a little crunch as well (I prefer crunchy over creamy!). The only down side is that it is expensive. I buy it from GNC during gold card week for just under $7 a jar.