Help with moving back in with parents!

Options
BettyBlueEyes
BettyBlueEyes Posts: 56 Member
I'm a (mature) student, and am going on clinical placement near my parents' house in a month or so, then it's the summer holidays so I'll be there for around 3 months in total. My problems are:
1. I don't have gym membership there and can't afford the local ones in North London. I run occasionally (did a half marathon a month ago) but it kills my knees, just can't do it every day. There's not really much room to do workout dvds.
2. My mum loves cooking, and although I'll cook occasionally she likes to do most of it. I can't really talk to her much about "diet" food as she used to be anorexic and her sister died of anorexia. It upsets her. I have had general chats about healthy food, but she doesn't really understand the make-up of my type of healthy diet. She is a great cook, always using fresh ingredients, but often the carbs outweigh the rest of the meal and there's not enough for me to just eat meat and veg, or she'll use a high-cal sauce. Her puddings are fabulous, and my downfall!
Any advice would be really welcome, I feel I'm finally in place where I am losing and really healthy, and don't want to lose it over the summer!

Thanks in advance,

Kate

Replies

• acresfield
    acresfield Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    eek.. I seem to remember you did this a month or so ago.. easter maybe?

Really tricky situation given the eating history. The thing is she will have had counselling for the anorexia and so understands the benefit of balanced nutrition even if its not something that she can really talk about. But maybe avoid talking about it as diet food and let her know that you are doing it towards your course. Show your mum this site and get her involved with what you are trying to achieve. She knows that you are studying a fitness and health related subject. If you can scan in some products and show her how it works then it might be something that she helps you with!

With regard to gym membership.. sign up to groupon, they nearly always have something like a 10 day pass to a gym albeit some pretty crappy ones as per my experience a few weeks ago.

and mature??? ...my *kitten* :)
  • BettyBlueEyes
    Options
    Well remembered! Yes, I went back for almost 2 weeks, and put on about 3 pounds. You'd be surprised at the lack of couselling in the 70s, unfortunately, but I'll show her this and see what she thinks. Scan products? Is that with some fancy-dan kind of a phone or sommert? I use yoghurt pots and string.

Will def try the Groupon thing, thanks!

And if I weren't mature I'd make some comment about your *kitten*. But I refrain. :)
  • acresfield
    acresfield Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    :)

Ahhh students and their lack of gadgetry. I get the kids to scan most of my stuff with the iphone app. I am going to make the assumption that you knew that but will tell you just in case.. you can scan the barcodes of any packets you use and just put down how much of the packet you ate. Makes it all pretty easy and Im not entirely sure that I would have stuck with it beyond a few weeks if I had had to do all of the logging on the site.

You dont half look like a plonker scanning packets in morrisons to find the best ones to buy tho!
  • wantangbob
    wantangbob Posts: 22
    Options
    If you buy Danone Activia yoghurts, they come with 'TLC points' - one 4 pack can get you enough points for a 3 day gym membership.
  • BettyBlueEyes
    Options
    I didn't know that, thanks! Will look into it :)
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Is there a council gym nearby? We joined one and it's half the price of Virgin Active
  • BettyBlueEyes
    Options
    Unfortunately not, the nearest one is 6 miles away and don't do monthly membership - I've "joined" them so I can swim there fairly cheaply, but it takes a long time to get there and back. Good idea though! Thanks.