Long Term Post-Op - Vitamins?

Options
Scribetoo
Scribetoo Posts: 181 Member
For those of you who are long term post-ops (more than two years), do you still take your vitamins?

If so, are you still taking your bariatric vitamins or do you just take regular multi-vitamins?

All input welcome! :flowerforyou:

Thanks!
Stef

Replies

• Anointed2luv
    Options
    I still take Centrum Chewables, Citracal, and Sublingual B-12. I am 2yr 2months post op.
  • LosinMamaof2girls
    LosinMamaof2girls Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am almost 5 years out and I definately still take them now. I slacked off after my girls were born and it was a huge mistake. They had already drained me while I was pregnant (2 pregnancies in 3 years). After my last was born I got "too Busy" so on my last labs I had 3-4 nutrients that were dangerously low. I was weak, headaches, lightheaded and had NO energy at all. I ended up having iron infusions weekly and they trippled my other vitamins. I take the bariatric chewable still, if I run out I will temporarly take a few of my daughters chewables. I take iron, B12, VitaminD, biotin (occationally), multi, omega 3 chews if I do not get fish in (not too fond of fish). I go in to check labs again in a few weeks. I am hoping that they are back to normal. I know I am feeling 110% better then i was a few months ago. I was barely able to walk across the room without getting dizzy let alone exercise. Now I am back to exercising daily. My advise is DON"T Stop taking them.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I have a girl friend who is just over a year post op and she still gets the B-12 shots, and takes chewable calcium, but she just takes two Flintstones with Iron in place of the bariatric chewable and her blood work is perfect every time.
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm not as far along post op, however, one of the things that is stressed through my clinic is that you MUST continue to take your vitamins for the rest of your life. Because of the malabsorbsion issue, levels of essential vitamins and minerals can drop dangerously low very quickly if you do not take your supplements. I have also been encourage to acquire a medic alert bracelet identifying RYGB, should you be unable to communicate in a medical emergencey caused by low levels of various vitamins/minerals.

A small price to pay, and by the time you are 2 years out, it should be pretty much rote!

In the spirit of love and support,
    Pamela
  • Scribetoo
    Options
    Your body actually re-learns to absorb to some degree and some doctors actually advocate getting your vitamin and mineral needs mostly met with diet since as you get further out, you can eat more..

that's why I asked if people stayed on their bariatric vitamins or went to over the counter supplements.. I have been taking my bariatric vitamins.. just seems like 2000% of vitamins is a lot for 7.5 years post and a relatively normal, balanced diet intake.
  • slfam
    slfam Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My heart aches when I hear of the problems people have because they did NOT take their vitamins! Most people just don't understand the importance of it. :( I am 4 years out and take: calcium-magnesium-zinc, B-12 sublingual, C, Iron, A, B complex, E, B1, Zinc, Dry D3, K, Coromega and others depending on my lab results. And people really, really need to be having their labs done because it is the only way to stay on top of your vitamins and adjust what you take accordingly.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I was told for life so that's what I'm doing. We absorb all our calories after about 18 months-2 years, but not vitamins. I take CVS brand for everything and get them when they're BOGO free, so my cost is very minimal. I'm 3.75 years out and my labs are good.

Edited to add, I take a senior multi twice a day, calcium 3 times a day, B-12 every other day, iron every night
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Is that just for by-pass? I have the band, and the doctor gave me no order for vitamins. I just take two Flintstones. The bariatric vitamins are nasty. I also can eat a fair amount, so I should be getting vitamins in my food too.
  • Scribetoo
    Options
    Typically, yes. Because a bypass means we are bypassing the duodenum and creating a whole new digestive tract that eliminates the absorbtion of the majority of calories (and nutrients, in the mix). Our bodies still absorb SOME nutrients once foods go from our stomachs into our intestines, but not much.. so we're supposed to take something like 2000% of our daily recommended vitamins in order to get what we need.

As I said, though, over time, our bodies DO re-learn to absorb at a higher rate.. but not at the same rate as pre-surgically.

My concern was over still taking in 2000% RDA or are there folks who are just taking regular, non-bariatric supplements after 2years post.

It's confusing, I know. There's no right answer for everybody.. but sometimes it helps to get a concensus. I no longer live where I had my surgery so I don't have access to my surgeon or his staff.. and my current primary care doctor isn't really well versed in RNY or after care for someone so far post-op.

At some point, I'll go visit my surgeon and make an appointment to get a check-up with him.. but until then, I'm doing as much as I can by self-educating and listening to my body.

I should get calories burned for all this self-care!! lol

Stef
  • Napjeeper
    Napjeeper Posts: 36
    Options
    I took them for the first 3 years and then tapered off (Simple Flintstones vitamins). I've been able to adjust my diet to get what I need into my system properly. The ONLY thing I have an issue with is Iron intake. I could take an extra vitamin a day but I just keep an eye out for signs that my iron levels are dropping and then add things into my diet or take the vitamin regimin for awhile. Everytime I get labs they come back good now.

I think it's highly situational and depends on how much of your small intestine was bypassed and what your diet consists of now. :)
  • Teachinjen
    Teachinjen Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My surgery RNY was in June 2004. Some of us no matter how many vitamins we take will not absorb some of the nutrients we need. About a year and a half ago I was feeling very exhausted and tired......After a visit to the ER for another unrelated issue, I was told that I looked very pale, and they wanted to run blood work. My blood level came back as a 6 and I instantly got 2 units of blood. After seeing several doctors and finally getting referred to a hematologist, it was determined my body doesn't absorb any iron I take orally. They tried different types of oral iron medication/ and shots before they put me on infusions. I have to have my iron levels checked every two months by my hematologist and if it gets too low I have to go in for iron infed IV infusions. Since November of 2010 I have had to have 4 rounds of infusions. Basically my hematologist has told me this will most likely be an issue I will have to have watched for the rest of my life. I have a great doctor who follows me like a hawk, and makes sure I get iron when my body needs it.
  • rumpusparable
    rumpusparable Posts: 160
    Options
    My sister is a few years out and no, she doesn't take her vitamins... she also uses ibuprofen like mad, so...
  • daynafort
    daynafort Posts: 4
    Options
    TAKE YOUR VITAMINS! FOREVER! I just finished my nutrition class and the dietitian told a story of a woman who presented with advanced Alzheimer's and another with Parkinson's. Neither of them had those diseases, it was all from long term vitamin difficiency. They were both Bypass patients who quit taking vitamins. They were also cured after their vitamin levels were regulated. They did say that one person had a permanent limp from dead muscle due to lack of vitamins.
  • slfam
    slfam Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Please go to vitalady.com and see what she sells. All of her products are the best for those who have malabsorption issues and she has literally saved lives of people who have been unable to get correct supplement help from their doctors and nutritionists. Call and talk to the staff. They are so helpful in helping you get what you need to maintain your health - long term. So many people just assume that because they are feeling well that everything is okay. But that is not usually the case. Unless you are having full labs done every 6 months - 1 year, you have no way of truly knowing what you need to be taking. Join the yahoo group Graduate-OSSG@yahoo.com This is a group of thousands of weight-loss patients who are more than a year out from their surgery and who have experienced everything from the highs to the lows. They can help you know what you should be taking, how to interpret your labs and so many other issues! Each of us made the decision to have surgery to save our lives but we have to also take the responsibility to maintain it for life and that means taking the right kind of vitamins and supplements for life! Flintstones and Slimfast, oil based vitamins and the wrong kinds of iron are just a few examples of things that will eventually lead to serious problems. :(