High calorie / calorie dense foods and recipes

Options
littlemili
littlemili Posts: 625 Member
Let's share some useful recipes and food ideas! I love making my own granola which goes something like this:

100g oats
200g apple sauce
3 tbsp honey
1/2 tbsp cinnamon
100g dried fruit, any kind
20g shredded coconut (optional)
to taste: any seeds and nuts (optional) (I like almonds personally)

You mix it all in a bowl, spread it on a baking tray in a single thin layer, and bake it at 350 for about 30 minutes. Half way through baking mix it all up on the tray and re-spread it to make sure it all gets crispy.

The above ingredients come to around 1000 calories of course it depends how much you like in one go but for my small appetite it's 4 servings which I would add fruit to. If you have a good appetite definitely it would be 2 servings.

For higher calories, substitute 2 tbsp oil for half the apple sauce and add more of the fruit, seeds and nuts.

It's gorgeous with yoghurt and fresh fruit in the morning. You can also make it into cereal bar shapes for a healthy, high calorie cereal bar.

Replies

• sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    This sounds so yummy! thanks mili, i'm definitely trying this. i LOVE granola but it's expensive in big bags in the store. Problem solved!
  • LemonPoppySeedMuffin
    Options
    Home made milkshakes!
    I made mint chocolate chip today!
    2 bananas
    500ml of milk (I used whole milk even though I'm gonna regret it- I hate measuring out soya milk, looks gross)
    Handful of chocolate chips
    Peppermint extract
    Then BLENNNNDDDD
    Serves 4 people
    1 serving for me adds up to 233, but of course it depends what sort of milk ect you use.
    Why not try it, experiment with all fruit & flavourings :).
  • littlemili
    Options
    100% natural no-BS bars

30g oats
    10g almond
    10g walnut
    10g brazil nut
    30g dates
    30g mixed fruit
    20g raisin
    10g coconut
    2 tbsp cocoa
    100g apple sauce

Blend til smooth. You could probably eat it all in 1 go without feeling too full. I almost did. SO almost. 600 calories or so for the whole lot and you could use any fruit or nuts that you like to alter the taste, just keep the proportions of fruit/nut/cocoa/oats roughly the same. I made mine into bars by just spreading the mix out and putting it in the fridge for an hour. SO GOOD, they taste of fudge, honestly... and no added sugar so they're quite low GI.
  • LemonPoppySeedMuffin
    Options
    Make your own yoghurt!
    Today I used whole milk strawberries, bananas & blueberries. Firstly I used it for a smoothie but I left some in a fridge, came back in 20 minutes & it was exactly like a yoghurt.
    I was thinking it would have been great with some bits of chocolate wafer on top with pancakes :D
  • neotericisis
    neotericisis Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sometimes extra calories can mean eating more than we would want to. I hate that overstuffed feeling, so to add extra calories I am going to start having an ensure plus right before bed with a PB&J. I always drink ensure pluses fast so that I can skip that extra full feeling, it tastes really good cold or room temp., they are small, and they have a variety of flavors (the knock off brands from CVS and Walmart are good too)

Ensure Plus: 350 cal.; 15g Protein; 28g fat; 50g carbs

PB&J (appx.): 327 cal.; 10g Protein; 14g fat; 42g carbs

This makes a yummy bedtime snack, and eating it at the end of your day allows your body to use the nutrients towards building your fat reserves in a healthy way as opposed to using it to provide energy to your body. Use whole wheat bread for added healthiness. Experiment with jellies and jams if you'd like (try marmalade one night and raspberry another). If you have the money you can go to a specialty store like Whole Foods and get other nut butters (you can actually pick your nuts out and they'll crush them into almond, cashew etc. butter). Ensure pluses come in 6 packs and are appx. $6, so $1/day isn't that bad.
  • littlemili
    Options
    I just made some magic balls. All you do is blend them for 1 minute and then mould into balls. Each of these batches makes 2-3 balls, and they come out at over 150 calories for 2 bites of all-natural food. Add protein powder for a gym snack.

Batch 1 are 40g walnuts, 60g cranberries, dash vanilla extract, pinch salt.
    Batch 2 are 1 tbsp cocoa powder, 25g raisins, 25g dates, 10g shredded coconut, 15g almonds, dash vanilla extract, pinch salt.
  • mng9
    mng9 Posts: 10
    Options
    Thank you for posting a granola recipe! I sometimes eat the store bought ones, but I'd prefer a little less sugar. I could omit the sugar altogether with your recipe!
    Let's share some useful recipes and food ideas! I love making my own granola which goes something like this:

100g oats
    200g apple sauce
    3 tbsp honey
    1/2 tbsp cinnamon
    100g dried fruit, any kind
    20g shredded coconut (optional)
    to taste: any seeds and nuts (optional) (I like almonds personally)

You mix it all in a bowl, spread it on a baking tray in a single thin layer, and bake it at 350 for about 30 minutes. Half way through baking mix it all up on the tray and re-spread it to make sure it all gets crispy.

The above ingredients come to around 1000 calories of course it depends how much you like in one go but for my small appetite it's 4 servings which I would add fruit to. If you have a good appetite definitely it would be 2 servings.

For higher calories, substitute 2 tbsp oil for half the apple sauce and add more of the fruit, seeds and nuts.

It's gorgeous with yoghurt and fresh fruit in the morning. You can also make it into cereal bar shapes for a healthy, high calorie cereal bar.
  • mng9
    mng9 Posts: 10
    Options
    Mili, what kind of blender do you use? I actually DO NOT have a blender; I need to shop for one this weekend.

Do these recipes come out of the blender pretty easily?
  • VeggyGal
    VeggyGal Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Great ideas, I usually like drinking ensure to help up my calories too. pretty tasty!
  • dsran87
    dsran87 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite breakfast or post workout protein shake.

Quaker Oats - Oatmeal - Old Fashion, 1 cup dry
    Generic - Banana, Raw - Large (8" - 8 7/8" Long), 1 banana
    Kirkland Signature (Costco) - Creamy Natural Peanut Butter, 2 Tbsp
    Six Star Pro Nutrition Elite Series Professional Strength - Whey Protein + Plus Triple Chocolate, 2 scoops
    Katalyst - Glutacor - Glutamine Formula, 1 scoop
    12 oz water and ice cubes
    Blend and enjoy!

969 calories, 108 carbs, 24 fat, 82 protein!
    :smile:
  • pipsqueak12
    pipsqueak12 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Home made milkshakes!
    2 bananas
    500ml of milk (I used whole milk even though I'm gonna regret it- I hate measuring out soya milk, looks gross)
    Peppermint extract
    Then BLENNNNDDDD
    Serves 4 people
    1 serving for me adds up to 233, but of course it depends what sort of milk ect you use.

OMG just last night i was wondering if a mint choc chip milkshake could be done!!! So excited :happy:
    Could i be cheeky and add a scoop of mint choc chip ice cream? As a 'treat'
    (Dont judge me)

And can i sub the bananas for something else, if so what would you suggest?
  • pipsqueak12
    pipsqueak12 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Home made milkshakes!
    2 bananas
    Peppermint extract
    Then BLENNNNDDDD
    Serves 4 people

OMG just last night i was wondering if a mint choc chip milkshake could be done!!! So excited :happy:
    Could i be cheeky and add a scoop of mint choc chip ice cream? As a 'treat'
    (Dont judge me)

And can i sub the bananas for something else, if so what would you suggest?