Goat's milk

MrsAbles
MrsAbles Posts: 117 Member
What can I do with goat's milk that is too gamey tasting to drink?

Replies

• MrsAbles
    Ok. I found recipes for chocolate pudding and fudge. They're not paleo (sugar), but my kids can eat it. (I hope this won't be a waste of good chocolate!)
  • MrsAbles
    Just made the pudding. The scrapings from the pan were good, yet I could still taste that game factor. (I'm wondering if I'll ever get that taste out of my system!) :noway:
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    I've wanted to try making yogurt...
  • kecarlto
    kecarlto Posts: 49 Member
    I'm sorry to tell you this but nothing good can come from goat milk. I can't even eat goat cheese. I used to raise goats and think that goat milk/cheese tastes the way a goat pen smells...yuk! Makes me want to hurl! LOL. Some people love it and I just don't get it. Oh, well.
  • MrsAbles
    Sapalee, if you decide to make yogurt with goat milk, taste the milk first. If you don't like the taste, don't waste your time.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    I'm sorry to tell you this but nothing good can come from goat milk. I can't even eat goat cheese. I used to raise goats and think that goat milk/cheese tastes the way a goat pen smells...yuk! Makes me want to hurl! LOL. Some people love it and I just don't get it. Oh, well.

I'm not sure why this was posted, seems rather rude. Just because you don't like the taste/smell of goat's milk, doesn't mean nothing good can come from it or that other people can't enjoy it themselves. For people who have no issues eating dairy, goat's milk is one of the best ways to go. What works for you doesn't necessarily work for other people and vice versa.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,728 Member

I'm not sure why this was posted, seems rather rude. Just because you don't like the taste/smell of goat's milk, doesn't mean nothing good can come from it or that other people can't enjoy it themselves. For people who have no issues eating dairy, goat's milk is one of the best ways to go. What works for you doesn't necessarily work for other people and vice versa.

It's not rude to talk about the way one feels about food. She said that some people love it, just not her. Don't be so defensive about what other people dislike.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    I wasn't trying to be defensive and I wasn't implying that she was rude for talking about how she felt about goats milk. I think what was rude was to tell someone "I'm sorry to tell you this but nothing good can come from it", while providing no evidence to that fact other than your own opinion on the taste/smell. It just comes across like "nothing good can come from it because I don't like it". Providing evidence for "nothing good can come from this", then going into your own opinion on the taste/smell would have been much more helpful to the OP.

MrsAbles, I am glad you were able to find something that (sort of) worked! Did the kids like it?
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Funnily enough goat's milk doesn't bother me. I was very allergic to dairy as a child (eczema) and my mother tried goat's milk and soy and both were OK. I don't drink either now though I use minimal amounts of goat's cheese in some dishes (approx once per week). I stick with coconut/almond milk and have found my kids love the stuff I make. I've made my own coconut icecream and yogurt and they taste pretty good. I have my days (like anyone) when I do step outside of the primal/paleo principals but I'm still very happy with my commitment to the lifestyle and never feel like I'm deprived.
  • kecarlto
    kecarlto Posts: 49 Member

I apologize for having offended anyone. The remark I made was not meant to be rude . It was more of a tongue-in-cheek answer to what could be done with gamey goat milk followed by a short explanation on why I thought that. I understand that some people (my father being one of them) like it, love it, want some more of it - thought I referenced that. Perhaps I should have added a few emoticons. I do stand by my original opinion. If the milk is gamey, whatever you make with it will be gamey.
  • MrsAbles
    Thanks all. I guess I was so surprised at the gaminess. I sort of expected a more sour-ish yogurty taste, even though I was told it tasted pretty much like cow's milk. Reading online, sometimes it can be gamey, sometimes not, depends on different variables.

Kecarlto, I got that you were being funny. I'm not going to try to acquire a taste for it, plus is was so damn expensive.

Maphean, add enough sugar and cocoa and anything's edible, lol! They didn't really notice the gamey taste until I told them.
  • cathyL11
    cathyL11 Posts: 46 Member
    I usually like the taste of goat's milk but I've heard that if the female goats are around a Billy (male) goat then the milk can be very gamey and nasty.
    I love goat cheese but then I love stinky stinky cheese in general -- I just try not to eat too much because I gain weight on it.