Eating back up to BMR

Options
mrsdizzyd84
mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
I have a quick question. My BMR (katch-mcardle) is 1534 my Tdee - 20% is 1840. I find that my exercise takes me under BMR a few times a week. Is there a rule for when to start eating back. If exercise takes me under BMR by less than 100 calories should I worry about eating back up to BMR.

I am one of the few people who really is sedentary on my 2 off days a week. It makes me a little uncomfortable to eat 1840 ( which would be my maintenance calories if I was sedentary) on off days (and I do) while also constantly eating back up to BMR on workout days. I guess in my head it makes sense that my lack of a deficit on off days should make up for being under BMR on some of my workout days.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Replies

• sedosher
    sedosher Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert: but in my opinion, if you have multiple days where you have to eat back up to your BMR then your activity level probably isn't figured correctly.

ETA: I have a day here and there that I have to eat back up to BMR, but maybe once a week when I get carried away with cardio. :)
  • witrixie2011
    witrixie2011 Posts: 224
    Options
    Correct. If you have to eat to get back to your BMR constantly, you should bump yourself up to the next activity level. The goal is to have consistent eating so your body will learn to trust that you are going to feed it and thus is will burn off the extra fat it doesn't need.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Ok, we suggest making the cut 15% to not make it too much of a steep deficit starting out. Another thing, weight loss is all a numbers game, remember, yes it does take into account your exercise, BUT, you start burning calories the minute you get out of bed daily. BMR is calories needed if you stay in bed all day an don't move ...the amount of cals they would give if you were in acoma and you are already creating a def with the 15% and on workout days, you are getting in NET of just BMR (which means all the calories when you aren't working out is a deficit). So, we recommend a consistent amount of food for ease, not trying to figure out one day eat this amount, another that amount...just simple, calculate your TDEE - 15% and eat it daily, workout day or not. If you chose the correct activity level, you shouldn't dip below BMR, but if you do, then you eat back to at least enough NET your BMR. So the minute your NET is less than BMR then you need to start eating back.

Hope that helps.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I want read ^^^ when my brain is working properly so I can make sure that I am doing this!! Good topic...I needed to find this out as well.... :)
  • WayFonda
    WayFonda Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Great topic as I'm in week 2 of upping my calories. I have my activity set at working out 5-6 days a week which I believe is considered moderately active (2nd to highest activity category). I've not Net my calories yet; though I'm trying my best to eat my goal amount. Even still, this is tough because I eat pretty healthy. What am I doing wrong?
  • Allic1971
    Allic1971 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I had this the other day, I'm set at moderate exercise 3-5 hours per week...

TDEE -15% = 1903, but I often go under my BMR not with the weights workout, it's when I use my HRM to see what I am burning whilst cleaning...

I know some of you don't class that as cardio, but when your running around, cleaning the floors, bathrooms and hanging out washing it can be a very big burn...

I do 3 weights days, as per the New rules of lifting for women, And usually clean do the washing and shopping, these burns go from 350 - 1009 which pushes me way over and I end up eating back...

I just looked back and my typical weeks burns I have been on my feet cleaning and exercsing for anything from 300-600 minutes.... per week

I maybe in the wrong activity level LOL :noway:

Cheers
    Alli