Snacking, any ideas?

Options
Good morning Team UK!

I'm trying to get my carb/protein/fat ratios in check;I need to go slightly higher on the carbs as I am a runner, but I would like to up my protein and cut down on fat, as i'm also trying to build muscle

Anyway, my question is, what do you guys snack on? I don't eat complete junk for snacks, but I tend to go for cereal bars, which are often high in sugar, plus I have a real weakness for starting my working day with a nutrigrain elevenses bar, I just love them! Does anyone know of any healthy combos, like veggies and houmous, or apple and peanut butter?

Also, just wondered if anyone has graze boxes delivered and what you think of them? I'm thinking about subscribing again

Replies

• ribena1958
    ribena1958 Posts: 152
    Options
    Personally I didn't much like the graze boxes, got a sample, but this just me.

I snack a lot on fruit/berries, I use TOTAL 0% fat free greek yogurt and sweeten it with sweetner to make a cream, and dollop that on top, crunch up an Alpen bar on the top.

Alpen lights are good and low. Cereal bar.
    Skinless chicken tikka [home made] its good to go in the fridge for protien?

Cube up some chicken, marinate in TOTAL mixed with TIKKA POWDER and a little lemon juice, leave in fridge. Then cook in the oven, You can eat them hot or cold. Nab a bit of salad too and your good to go
  • Twinkletoestasha
    Twinkletoestasha Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Fruit and oddly enough water..keep a bottle of water with you. Everytime you think of snacking have some water. Works a treat! x
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Snacks are a tricky one, I love granola bars but at 200 calories a pop I save them for an exercise day treat. I always had a couple of pieces of fruit to have with my lunch and I've stopped having them right after my sandwich and have them when I'm next hungry instead.

Sometimes thirst is mistaken for hunger so make sure you're properly hydrated too.
  • claire1977
    claire1977 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have cashew nuts, pumpkin & sunflower seeds and dried fruit which is a nice snack or weight watchers crackers n cheese spread is good and not too many cals. Hope that helps
  • Slimwithin0408
    Slimwithin0408 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I saw those graze boxes...they are a good idea but quite expensive I thought? Might take another look now though lol!
  • Slimwithin0408
    Slimwithin0408 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Scrap that! £3.79 a box delivered isn't bad at all! And first three boxes discounted....have just ordered first three so time will tell....thanks for the idea though!
  • fontinathefox
    fontinathefox Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I used to get graze boxes, but they do work out quite expensive. Now I just go for them every now and then when I can find a free code...heh.

Today I've got green olives with garlic for snacks. Yum, good fats and quite high in protein I think? Or did I just dream that? What I'm planning on doing is getting those packs of M&S ready-cooked prawns - they're normally on 2 for £5 or similar, and the garlic ones are absolutely delicious! Half a pack a day, that should last me almost all working week. Yum.
  • fontinathefox
    fontinathefox Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Nope, I take that back - olives haven't got much protein at all... :smile:
  • Emilit_uk
    Emilit_uk Posts: 87
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas guys, it's definately not a thirst issue, I drink a TON of water! The main reason i think i'm hungry is because i'm marathon training, after 13 miles + of running my body turns into a raving loon and goes into hunger overdrive

I'm upping my protein intake as this is supposed to help; I had scramble egg, tomato and mushrooms for breakfast, and a protein shake for a snack, and i'm feeling a lot better for it

I'm going to see how it goes on the fruit and veggies and cut out the cereal bars, I always feel like I need something carby and sweet, but I guess this could be causing my hunger in the long run if its causing my blood sugar to spike
  • bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I love my Graze boxes! I started with them a while back, so I'm 'only' paying £2.99 a box. I used to get one a week (tbh it was cheaper than buying rubbing in the vending machines at work) but now I'm making up my own trail mix type things to put in little tupperware containers. I still get my Graze box twice a month though! So tasty...

If anyone wants to try them out, I can send you a code for a freebie box.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I just don't snack and find that suits me. It turns out that if I'm eating unhealthy stuff it tends to be at snacks rather than main meals, so I just gave up the snacks altogether. It's working very well for me, and I don't seem to get hungry between meals any more.

I have used Graze boxes in the past, and they're lovely! They're expensive, but less faff than buying separate ingredients and making them up yourself. The portions are calorie counted. They have different plans, so you can sign up for just the lower calorie options. However, I signed up for everything as often the nicest things (flapjacks, nuts, chocolate, bread, olives, etc.) are excluded on the plans. If you do get chocolate, it's only a few chocolate buttons, so not the same as eating a Mars Bar.
  • Emilit_uk
    Emilit_uk Posts: 87
    Options
    Thanks guys, and I'm not to worried about the calories, and I'm not looking to lose weight, I use mfp to make sure I eat enough a lot of the time, I build up huge deficits on my training plan otherwise! Having said that, I don't want to eat empty foods just to make up my cals, and a lot of pre-prepared snacks and bars are full of sugar, and salt and nasties! I think I'm going to try and come up with my own graze style snack packs to take to work, thanks for the tips bunsen_honeyd
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    massive oats/berries/yoghurt bowls are a great marathon snack. Complex carbs, bit of sugar from the fruit. A decent amount of Protein and Fat per hundred grams from the oats and Yoghurt (if you use 10% fat, which i personally do) Change the Yoghurt for Cottage cheese if you want more Protein.
  • kt_tigger
    kt_tigger Posts: 4
    Options
    I love my graze boxes although at the moment I just get one delivered on the weekend to cover Sat/Sun snacking. If you want to know any more about them, the website has loads of information even before you sign up.
    The rest of the time I tend to snack on fruit or walkers sunbites (which I LOVE). Pre/post gym I usually have a small tub of pumpkin seeds and raisins in my bag in case I need a boost.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Uncooked peanuts. You can buy them by the kg from asian or chinese supermarkets. They have good fats, loads of calories and protein. I eat peanuts as fuel before a lifting session.
  • Zero2hero2013
    Zero2hero2013 Posts: 458
    Options
    i eat an onken bio pot nearly every day. 333 cals, very low fat, reasonable protein and a little carbs too. i eat it in one sitting being a greedy 6ft2 man lol. but its portioned to 150g.
    i added the correct entry to the global food list as someone posted it up originally with double the carbs lol. search the one thats says onken vanilla fat free biopot uk.

hope it helps
  • ellen_v
    ellen_v Posts: 33
    Options
    I used to get graze boxes, but as a student they are quite expensive and I tended to binge on the whole box!

This is one of my favourite snacks: http://blogilates.com/recipe-index/berrylicious-microwave-minute-muffin

All you need are oats, one egg (so you've got your protein), a bit of brown sugar and blueberries. I've also made in with very ripe banana and a bit of Options hot chocolate powder. It took me a couple of goes to get the consistency right but it can be really yummy. I also had to put it in for longer than she says.

On an unrelated note, her pilates videos are amazing, even though she is sometimes irritatingly chirpy!
  • Marie047
    Marie047 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have the graze box every week, we also get other snacks as well like nuts and seeds for when we run out. i think they are really good and with the choice of 3 different settings its great. The ones you dont like you just bin them and comment on how you like each box.

I would highly recommend getting them, and they are easy as you pick on up and your on the go.