i absolutely HATE my "boy" shape...what can i do...

Options
Okay. I am 1/2 way through stage 3 of NROL4W. I walk on non lifitng days. I eat 1600-2000 cals a day and pretty healthy food and average about 30-40% protein, 30-40% carbs and 20-30% fat...almost always balanced. I just started taking liquid l-carnitine, CLA and T-Lean Extreme among other supplements like Omegas, calcium, green tea (pill and tea), coffee, drink about 14 cups of water, etc....as I'm sure I am forgetting a lot. Well i cant stand my 28" inch waist to 33-34" hips it makes me look boy shaped. How on earth can i get a smaller waist or am I destined to always look like a boy? I am 5'2" and about 118 ( went from 111 to this while eating more and lifting). I dont care about the evil scale as I know it will go up with lifting I just care about my BF at 21% going down. My TDEE is anywhere from 1962-2402 and I do a 15% cut of that. I own a fitbit too.

latest pic is last one under profile pic a few months ago but still look the same even after stage 3.

Replies

• karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I don't mean this to be rude, but I would pay approximately one MILLION dollars to have a 28" waist. Even in HS at my smallest, my waist was 30" and I can't imagine it ever being smaller.

I think you need to accept the shape you have if you're happy with your weight & overall fitness. The only tricks I know to change it are to dress differently to make your waist *look* smaller compared to your hips (ex: full skirts, etc.) or to add muscle to your shoulders, which will in turn make your waist look smaller.
  • wowmom23
    wowmom23 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think you look great! Really!! You could always get your boobs done ;). That would make your waist look smaller - :D. But seriously, I do think you look great. I bet if you took another pic, you'd notice some changes.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,995 Member
    Options
    You are right that, given your measurements, you would be described as "boy-shaped" (and not "pear-shaped" or "apple-shaped"). But, my goodness, your measurements are probably the envy of about 99% of women out there!!

So, you are in a tough spot, because you are trying to build on "near-perfection"....that probably is a tough spot to be in!

2 things to focus on:

1. reduce your waist size (sounds like you've been trying this and haven't had too much success - remember, your body will decide WHERE it wants to hang onto fat the longest!!); and
    2. increase your shoulder-size and your hip-size - to create more of an "illusion" of an hour-glass figure.

If you are lifting heavy, you should see an increase in your shoulder-region (and back, too!) and you can pound out those squats and lunges to increase glute muscles (and, perhaps, hip measurements).

I hope this helps!
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Beeps is right. I am also a boy shape and with the lifting I am looking better but my measurements are 36-30-36 and I am pretty sure my 30 waist will be staying. Sometimes you just have to trust you are doing everything right and learn to be comfortable in your own skin. I am loving my muscles and strength so I will keep on keeping on.

:heart: Sass
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's much you do can do beyond dressing to emphasise your waist; I learned about this by watching What Not to Wear, I don't know if it's on any more but they have a book you can get at the library too...

I have an hourglass shape and I am fine with it, but I really like how some women with boyish figures dress to emphasise their narrowness. You don't have to go to Greta Garbo extremes, but like others on here have said, being narrow and slim in the hips is something many are jealous over. You might as well learn to love it and flaunt it! :) Although I imagine you may have to get friendly with a tailor to get things fitting correctly...

You could also spend a little time/money on a perfect shade of red lipstick :) That ought to help a lot, at least in feeling feminine.

And for god's sake don't cut your hair short lol
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Thankyou everyone.

I have about 5% fat I need to get off my midesction/thighs and I will continue to work until its gone just keep getting into these funks where I want to quit and think its useless. How can I help others if I cant even help myself. Oh and I lost 5" in the bust...FIGURES!I pray every morning that I will see myself as God sees me. Always working hard to on my mind too.

It is definitely a problem I have not being comfortable in my own skin. Once again I looked at our recent Spring Break pics and thought I was going to gag. I'm trying to do something that God did not make possible for me so I just need to accept it. WISH I KNEW HOW.
  • kristi321
    kristi321 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have a low hip to waist ratio as well. Although I have a good percent of body fat to lose, I don't expect the ratio to change much. I carry my weight in my stomach and I have very narrow hips. I will just be happy to lose the tummy fat! Try to be happy with the health of your body and accept it for what it is. Some women dream about narrow hips!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,995 Member
    Options
    <<<
    narrow-hip dreamer right here. Yep. OMG if I had 36" hips I would be OVER THE MOON. Over the friggin' MOON, people.!!!!!!

And, cripes, Chloe, you have 33" - 34" hips!!
  • llujan88
    llujan88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I also have a wider waist and narrow hips and tend to carry fat in my waist area. I'm hoping that will be the last to lose. I also dropped a cup size as I've been eating better and losing body fat (I hope). I have always disliked my thick waste, but I have since focused on other areas of my body that I'm loving. Now I can turn to the side in the mirror and low and behold my butt is getting higher and firmer, and my shoulders/arms are getting more definition and I think my legs look great. So try to focus on the areas of your body where you are seeing sucess. I am also 5'2" 117 lbs so I can definitely relate. And I think as you begin to lose more body fat and gain more muscle we may start looking more "boyish"...but try to focus on your other muscular curves.

By the way, I do plan on getting a boob job down the road. After 3 nursing kids, they have done a number of me :blushing:
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    I also have a wider waist and narrow hips and tend to carry fat in my waist area. I'm hoping that will be the last to lose. I also dropped a cup size as I've been eating better and losing body fat (I hope). I have always disliked my thick waste, but I have since focused on other areas of my body that I'm loving. Now I can turn to the side in the mirror and low and behold my butt is getting higher and firmer, and my shoulders/arms are getting more definition and I think my legs look great. So try to focus on the areas of your body where you are seeing sucess. I am also 5'2" 117 lbs so I can definitely relate. And I think as you begin to lose more body fat and gain more muscle we may start looking more "boyish"...but try to focus on your other muscular curves.

By the way, I do plan on getting a boob job down the road. After 3 nursing kids, they have done a number of me :blushing:

I hate my butt too. Not quite sure what i like...lol. Boy what a total funk I am in again.
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I think you look amazing! We are our own worst critics and sometimes I think it's worse when you put so much time into being healthy and working out because you focus on those troublesome spots. Try to focus on what you love. Look into your eyes, flex your muscles and know that you are just the way you are supposed to be and you look great!
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    That being said, I hate my butt too. :)
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I have the same measurements as you. I would echo what Beeps says about the illusion; my upper thighs are growing, and my shoulders do look bigger too, so when I look in the mirror now I see better proportions, even though my waist measurement has stayed the same. It may be relatively slight, but it does make a difference, so keep the faith!