Wife of a diabetic... and really concerned :(

Options
ahugaday4me
ahugaday4me Posts: 8 Member
Hello everyone! I am so glad that I found you :) I am so frustrated and worried and could use advice from you all.

My husband is type 2. He has been for a while but the more we would talk about it or try to change eating habits etc the more hungry he would be or the more crabby he would become. He is on Metformin and Onglyza but at his most recent appointment they sent him home with 2 insulin pens to try. (He has refused to try them).

Ok, so on to the good news. We found this site to keep track of our food etc (I am trying to do everything with him because I could lose 30 pounds and be happy), joined a gym (we go 3 days a week) have lowered his calorie intake to 1500 a day - divided up into 5 small meals..., trying to cook healthier, no fast food.... anyway he has gained 5 pounds and his blood sugar is still high (lowest so far has been 143 and that was a morning number) I know that people have said that there is diabetic classes but we have never been to one. So all we have is what the doctor said (avoid anything sugar or white) different articles that we have read, and a couple people we have talked to. The personal trainer he talked to on Sunday said for him to lower his calorie intake to 1200 and up the cardio and it should help? But he feels like he is starving now...

Has anyone else had a problem like this? He is angry, depressed, frustrated and i am getting to the point that I just dont know what to do. Any help would be appreciated.
Natalie

Replies

• travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Welcome.

One of the first things I notice is the amount of calories your husband is limiting himself to. I don't know how much your husband weighs, but the trainer's advice to limit himself to 1,200 calories is insane. 1,200 is pretty much a minimum amount of calories that the smallest women out there need to survive. There is no way your husband should restrict himself to that amount. It is not healthy and could actually destroy his efforts to lose weight.

I see that you are avoiding sugar and anything white, but how are his total carb counts? For most diabetics, carbs are enemy number one, and there are a lot of healthier choices out there that are full of carbs that might be OK for the average person, but can throw a diabetics glucose numbers completely out of whack. Everybody reacts differently to carbs. What I had to do was cut back almost completely until my glucose numbers fell in line, and then slowly experiment and add back in.

You say he feels angry and hungry whenever he tries to change his habits. That could very possibly be from changes in his blood sugar. When mine were coming down initially, I felt the same way. Even though my glucose numbers were still high, the fact that they were dropping from an even higher level made me feel terrible. It basically mimicked the feeling of very low blood sugar. After a couple of weeks of suffering through it, those feelings went away and I only feel that way now when I am truly low.

Diet, exercising, and testing are really the key to bringing his levels down into a more normal range and keeping them there. I burned through the test strips discovering what I should and shouldn't eat at the beginning, but by doing so, I figured out exactly what my body could handle and dropped my A1C from 14.2 to 5.1 in three-and-a-half months.

I by no means have all the answers. It's an individual battle. What works for me might not work for him, and vice versa. But I'm always willing to answer questions about what works for me. I try to learn from everybody. The more you know, the better you can fight this disease.
  • ahugaday4me
    Options
    Thank you so much for replying. Congratulations on getting control of yours and for your amazing weight loss! My husband is 6' and bounces between 235-240. His last labs had his A1c at 9.4. I know that his sugar levels have alot to do with is anger and that is why I try so hard to not react, but it is hard on everyone. I guess Carbs seem to be an issue for me. Even when I try to make everything be low carb somehow it seems that his total for the day still runs about 100-120 (between the 5 meals). We are starting our 4th week of changes and I know it will take time, but it seems like we are doing something wrong. i will try to work on the carbs though. I have been trying to concentrate on upping the protein, lowering the carbs and sugar, watching the calories and sodium, and the hardest part is he doesn't like vegetables....But he is eating them (but probably not as much as we should), very unhappily. I guess I am not sure which one of those to watch the most.
    How long have you been diabetic? What kind of calorie level are you at per day? Thank you again, I know each walk is individual and we will keep trying but I appreciate the input :).
  • bill082764
    bill082764 Posts: 1
    Options
    The Carb Count is the most important for diabetics. Like your husband when I was diagnosed 2 yrs ago, I wasn't concerned since I didn't feel sick. As I ignored my condition and grudgingly took the meds ( the only way to get the wife to leave me alone) but didn't try to learn about proper diets for diabetics, I just made things worse and ended up in the emergency room 4 times in a 2 week period. The last time my blood sugar dropped so low I wasn't even aware I was there until I was released and my wife was driving me home. She was very upset and scared, which I couldn't figure out why until she told me the next morning the doctor told her had she not given me a gluclose tablet I probably would have died. That was my wake up call and I contacted my doctor and told him I wanted to know everything I needed to know about diabetes and need to be educated on what I should eat and the medicine I need. I learned that eating a diabetic diet isn't all that bad, I've lost a total of 35 lbs since I've taken it seriously.
    I do understand about being angry and irritable, I was that way at first but as I learned what I could and couldn't eat and started experimenting I learned that there are some salads out there that are pretty damn good, low carb totilla warps replaced bread, high fiber wheat bread is also pretty good toasted. I have myself on an 80 carb and 30 grams of sugar a day and I feel as good as I did when I was in my late 20's/early 30's. I wish you and your husband all the luck in the world, but I highly encourage you both to go to a diabetic diet class. I think you'll learn a lot and find out you don't have to starve yourself, to control his blood sugar and you to lose the weight your wanting to loose.

P.S. I was never a breakfast person and that is one of the things they really pushed for me to do. I found that an atkins shake and one of their meal bars were actually really good and it didn't unsettle my stomach first thing in the morning. Also for snacks their bars are pretty good they have one that tastes just like a snickers bar!!! Not that I'm on an atkins diet just a lot of trying things out and I love my chocolate too!! tried every sugar free one out there. Just keep in mind one for a snack not 5 or more LOL
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    1,200 calories is way too few for a man weighing 235-240. Probably the best way to figure out what he needs to eat and still lose weight is to enter his height, weight, etc. into either MFP or one of the various online calculators out there. My guess is he'll be able to eat closer to 1,800 calories per day, even more, depending on his activity level.

Of all the things you mentioned monitoring, I would monitor the carb count the most. Upping the protein is a natural by-product of lowering carbs in most instances, so you can kill two birds with one stone. Carbs are the one macro that affects a diabetic the most. When I was first diagnosed, I cut my carbs back to almost nothing. I try to keep them under 100 per day now, but sometimes they will creep up in the 120 range. Anything over 140 and I usually see it in my results when I test my glucose the next morning. Some people can handle more, some people have to stay at carb counts way lower than me.

I was diagnosed September 2011. However, my father has been diabetic for over 20 years, so I wasn't new on what to expect or how to start attacking it. I also saw him not take it seriously for years and the effects from it, so I was determined I was going to take it seriously from the start. I've also watched him go from shooting up with insulin 5x per day to being completely med-free in the last two-and-a-half years, so I also knew that it could be controlled, rather than having it control me.

I'm at 2,050 calories per day right now, at 6'4" and right around 300 lbs. Plus, I will also eat back up to 50% of my exercise calories. If I'm not hungry, I won't eat them, but if I am and they are there, I will. Letting myself get too hungry when I have calories available only leads to bad things for me.

One last thing. I lost 115 lbs. in the year before I was diagnosed following a low-fat, high-carb diet. I knew that my father and many other relatives from his side of the family were diagnosed at around my age, and I was trying to lose weight in an effort to prevent/delay a diagnosis. Once I was diagnosed and changed my diet, my weight loss stalled. I bounced around in the same five pound range for months, and actually ended up gaining about ten of those pounds back. But I brought my glucose numbers down to a range better than many non-diabetics on very little medicine (Metformin 500 mg 2x per day). It's just been the last several weeks where my weight loss has started to pick up again. It was very frustrating, but it was something I just had to ride out, keeping in mind that the number on the glucose meter was more important than the number on the scale. So I would not worry so much about the 5 lbs. he gained and concentrate on bringing the glucose numbers down. Ideally, we could do both at the same time like some people can, but not everyone can do that - I couldn't - so try not to lose heart if he finds himself that boat as well.
  • lmclean58
    lmclean58 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi Natalie,

Maybe my story will help a bit. I was diagnosed in Dec 2011 and we caught things pretty early. My A1c was only at 6.8 (still bad). The first thing I did was to get a pedometer, a couple books on Type 2 diabetes and my test kit. Since then I've watched my diet (it's not a diet if I have to eat this way forever), exercised and taken a Diabetes education class. My last A1c was 6.1 (april 3)

One of the first things that surprised me was that my Dr wanted me to eat 2000 calories a day. I was shocked. As a lifelong dieter I'd figured on something more like 1200. The second thing is that it's actually working! Average calorie intake/week is probably 1800) I am taking lipitor at bedtime and benezepril in the morning but nothing else besides vitamins. The weight seems to come off without a big fuss. I'm eating enough food to feel satisfied and not deprived.

There will be education classes someplace near you. Your husband will attend, but you can go with him (either for free or a small cost) and audit the class. The classes I attended there were a couple wives auditing. The class will help you learn all about this disease and how to live well with it. My insurance covered about 40% of the cost.

My class (and my Dr) recommended that women eat 40 - 60 grams of carbs at each meal (men get a slightly higher allowance) With testing I've found that staying closer to the 40 - 50 range works best for me. That means with 3 meals/day and 1 snack I'm aiming for about 140 - 170 grams of carbs/ day. I stick with whole grains and that's working pretty well for me.

Most places with classes also provide nutrition classes (much less expensive) with a dietician. After you finish the education class, taking the nutrition class will help form a detailed plan that will help you and your husband know what he can eat and how to eat at restaurants, etc.

I've recently started using a FitBit pedometer and this works well with MyFitnessPal to determine net calories and how much exercise/activity I am getting each day. I also track my sleep with this. Getting enough sleep is also very important. I'm trying to walk 7,000 steps/day (actual average is 6,000)

In addition, I have a very skinny husband. His metabolism is in overdrive and he always has trouble gaining weight (don't I wish). Our new eating plan has helped him to gain weight. (of all things) We're eating more fresh veggies, lean meat, high fiber food (he's a wonderbread boy) and it's working well.

Depending on where you live, Trader Joe's has some great tasting whole wheat pasta and a rice/grain blend that work very well for me. Oh and the darker your Chocolate bar the fewer carbs (!)

I guess my point is that this is a BIG life change for him. Going at things too intensely (too few calories, too much exercise, too much misery) is not going to help. Often small changes will do a better job over the long haul.

Good luck!
    - Lynette
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Hi Natalie,

I went through all the phases when I was diagnosed with Diabetes. The denial, anger and then finally got down to working on fixing things. I agree with the commentary that 1500 is too low. My A1C is now about 5.7 on a regular basis. I am on Glipizide and Victoza and am working to get off the meds and control this with weight management and diet control. It's a lfestyle, not a diet!

I'm fortunate that I have a good local support network. My Endocrinologist is amazing and she's super supportive. She's the 3rd doctor I've had since diagnosis. I 'fired' the other two previous ones as they weren't doing me much good. I also have a daughter that is an MD and gives me good information and access to more info that's helped me. My other daughter is a dietician and exercise science graduate and working in those areas. It's helped me.

I've also seen a diabetic dietician to get more insight into proper eating. It's helping me.

I also agree that going too intensely can hurt more than help. Each of us is different and what works for some fails for me; what works for me fails for some.

Good luck and we're here to lend support.

Kurt
  • Dietz27
    Dietz27 Posts: 107
    Options
    Hi Natalie. I think it is very important to understand that there's no magic button to push. Huge improvements don't happen over night. Hang in there and time will help you learn the do' and don'ts. Do research to find foods to make. I know not everybody likes the American Diabetes Association, but they do have some great recipes there that are tasty and easy to make.

I do know this....you need to stay strong and help him. My wife has been such a huge blessing and help to me during my first few months that I cannot put it to words.

Good luck to the both of you!!
  • ajscott78
    ajscott78 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for yours stories and advice. It is such a blessing to know that we are not alone. Today has been a much better day. My new goal is going to be to lower the carbs more, and One day at a time is going to be my new motto. I am going to check into the classes though.
  • ahugaday4me
    Options
    LOL :) I am sorry, that was me logged onto my husbands account! Thank you all :)
  • Dietz27
    Dietz27 Posts: 107
    Options
    LOL :) I am sorry, that was me logged onto my husbands account! Thank you all :)

Your next goal is to get HIM logged in here everyday!!! There is so much support here and the tracking of food has been so easy for me and a huge part of staying on track.
  • gogetmike
    gogetmike Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am a diabetic and discussed my blood work with my Doctor two days ago and I was depressed about my counts as welll. I would suggest you read THis book...Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes.THis book emphasizes a lo fat vegan diet and exercise. I tried the diet before and got my counts down below 100. I decided to go back on it two days ago and already my counts are coming down and I have been eating ceral, pasta, rice and beans, veggie burgers, salad, tofu products, friuts, veggies, etc. I have lost 4 lbs in two days. Again its just two days, but I have gained a ton of hope!

Will report in a week with how my diet and exercise is going! Hang in there and trust that with work and support that this so called diabetic life will improve!
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Your husband is very lucky to have such a supportive and understanding wife. Messed up glucose does lead to crankiness that isn't your fault. I'm glad you understand.

Sometimes its not just about cutting carbs but cutting the right ones. Foods that shoot me up may not shoot someone else up and vice versa. There's a good explanation about eating to your meter on bloodsugar101.com . It can take a while to figure out what works and what doesn't but ultimately this is the best way.

I firmly believe that our goal is to have a safe glucose level. For some people, diet and exercise can do that. For others, it requires drugs and sometimes more and more drugs. 13 years ago I could take about 1000 mg of met per day and pretty much eat normally. 7 years ago, I could take 1500 mg of met per day and eat pretty normally. Now I take 2000 mg of met and have a severely carb restricted diet and manage to have ok glucose levels but not as good as they should be. I think today I have eaten more carbs than usual and I'm sure I'll pay for it in the morning.

The rot doesn't care how hard you are trying, it only cares about your glucose. My goal is not to rot. Just because someone takes drugs doesn't mean they will keep having to take them. Sometimes when you are first diagnosed your pancreas is exhausted and needs a break. Sometimes you need to take something until your body gets balanced by the changes you are making. It is not failure to take drugs. I've been met dependent since I was diagnosed. I'm at a point I wish the dr. would put me on insulin because I sure miss eating carbs.
  • anaussie
    anaussie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    duplicate post
  • anaussie
    anaussie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    The Carb Count is the most important for diabetics. Like your husband when I was diagnosed 2 yrs ago, I wasn't concerned since I didn't feel sick. As I ignored my condition and grudgingly took the meds ( the only way to get the wife to leave me alone) but didn't try to learn about proper diets for diabetics, I just made things worse and ended up in the emergency room 4 times in a 2 week period. The last time my blood sugar dropped so low I wasn't even aware I was there until I was released and my wife was driving me home. She was very upset and scared, which I couldn't figure out why until she told me the next morning the doctor told her had she not given me a gluclose tablet I probably would have died. That was my wake up call and I contacted my doctor and told him I wanted to know everything I needed to know about diabetes and need to be educated on what I should eat and the medicine I need. I learned that eating a diabetic diet isn't all that bad, I've lost a total of 35 lbs since I've taken it seriously.
    I do understand about being angry and irritable, I was that way at first but as I learned what I could and couldn't eat and started experimenting I learned that there are some salads out there that are pretty damn good, low carb totilla warps replaced bread, high fiber wheat bread is also pretty good toasted. I have myself on an 80 carb and 30 grams of sugar a day and I feel as good as I did when I was in my late 20's/early 30's. I wish you and your husband all the luck in the world, but I highly encourage you both to go to a diabetic diet class. I think you'll learn a lot and find out you don't have to starve yourself, to control his blood sugar and you to lose the weight your wanting to loose.

^^^^
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    One of the best websites i found when newly diagnosed is Blood Sugar 101. Jenny is a Type 1.5 (LADA) diabetic and presents things in an easy to understand manner and had really done her research. Following the suggestions I found there, I've lowered my fasting BG to below 100 in 5 months and my post-prandial numbers are never above 120. I started with an A1C of 7.3 and won't be re-tested until August, but I'm thrilled with the control I've gained so far.

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

As others have stated, carbs are the important macro to a diabetic. 1200 calories is certainly do-able - I do it and do not feel hungry at all. However, I concentrate on restricting carbs to less than 75 per day (around 30-40 net carbs) and make sure I balance carbs with enough fat and protein to feel satisfied. I've made a lot of really tasty, "non-diet" meals from Atkins and South Beach blogs and my husband - who is not diabetic, but could stand to lose a few pounds - has been very happy. he doesn't count calories....just eats what i put in front of him. He's lost 20 pounds and I've lost 60.
  • ahugaday4me
    Options
    We want so bad to not use the insulin pen (he hasn't tried it yet) and eventually get off of the pills... I am not saying it will never happen, but I understand that we need to work on this seriously now to not get worse than it is. He wont post on here, but he has read yours and I just wanted to say that it really helps to hear it from others. I have copied the name of the book and the website that were posted and will check into them shortly. Today was a little rough for him, the boss brought in pizzas for everyone today :) He did show self control and ate 2 pieces instead of the whole darn thing! So we stopped by the gym and did 3 miles on the elliptical. It is getting easier but oh my gosh we are so so sore. Tomorrow is a new day and we start over..... Thanks everyone!