consistent calf problems

Options
Wondering if anybody has a 'magic cure' for consistent pain in my calf's.

I don't believe it's a tear, feels more like a bruise accompanied by a tighness in & around the calf muscle. I can walk without any (or much) pain, but running is a problem.

I stretch before & after - focussing on calf & hamstring stretches. I'm not going too hard, but I am trying to increase my distances as I'm training for 2 x 1/2 marathons this year (did my 1st last year).

It's 1 step forward & 2 steps back as I'm getting calf problems every couple of weeks - it varies b/n my R & L legs.

I've been resting, stretching & massaging to try to manage the problem, but I can't seem to get them stable.

Any help &/or magic cure greatly appreciated !

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I would suggest seeing a PT. There may be underlying issues that you need to address before any of the direct treatments will take hold.
  • mlachance9
    mlachance9 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I had bad inner calf pain last year that turned into shin splints. My cause was because I overpronate and needed more support. I went to a PT who game me specific exercises to do and showed me how to tape so I got more support. I already had good shoes and used shoe inserts (I do need to go up to the next level after my next 1/2 marathon in 1 1/2 weeks). The other thing I do which helps a lot is I have a massage ball, but a tennis ball will work too. You sit on the floor and I always start with the bottoms of my feet and then work my way up in circular motions. I do this a few times and then do the next leg. It might hurt at first, but keep doing it and it will feel better. Each night I roll until it does not hurt and I do this every night. Good luck! And if the pain persists I would see someone to find out what is exactly causing it.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The stick helps my calf problems. https://www.thestick.com/
  • 22colin
    22colin Posts: 31
    Options
    Thanks for the help/advice - I'll let you know how I go.
  • Skywalker_Dub
    Options
    I had a problem with mine and saw a PT. They did a method they call dry needling on the muscle to reset it. After some more testing they also found out I had a weak hip and it was causing my calve to work harder to compensate. they gave me some hip exercises to do for a few weeks and I feel great now!!! I continue to do the hip exercises twice a week to ensure that it stays strong.
  • RGroenland
    RGroenland Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I recently saw my chiro/physio therapist. He did some major Graston work on my calves because I have a serious lactic acid build up. He said the compression socks will help for recovery, stay very hydrated, stretch and the worst thing possible... ICE BATHS! With increase in milage comes some underlying problems to surface. I am going to give the ice bath a try this weekend after my long run (22km) and I pray it works. Until then I will be stretching/rolling (I have a Grid from TP Performance and it is awesome).
    Good luck... mine was so bad my feet went completely numb 5km into any run. So painful and disheartening.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    A couple thoughts:

How many miles on your current running shoes? Maybe you just need fresh shoes?

Have you had your running analyzed? If not, go to a local running store and have them do it. They can then suggest the proper shoe to provide the support that you need. You could have awesome shoes...but not be the right ones for *you*

Take a "recovery" week. Cut your mileage by a third or 50% for a week. Often suggested to do something along those lines every 3 to 5 weeks. Do some research on it.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    My calf problems started after my Physical Therapist put me in a stability shoe and I'd always ran in a minimal shoe. I switched back to what I was most comfortable, and after several massage sessions, rumble roller, and heat therapy I'm doing better. I also just upped my biking for a few weeks of recovery instead of running.
  • 22colin
    Options
    FIXED :happy:

for anyone that's interested these are the major things that I did...

1. PATIENCE - I didn't stop running, but I did make sure I had rest days & increased the walks in the runs.

2. MASSAGING - before & after a run & before bed & in the morning when it was at it's worst - I used Elmore Oil & Arnica (both natural products) & really tried to get as deep into the muscle as I could.

3. STRETCHING - both with straight leg (where you push your heel down with the ball of your foot a step) & bent leg (leaning against a bench with bent knees - just keep adjusting your position until you feel the stretch in your calf) - I think this was important as I wasn't previously doing the bent leg stretch & these stretches work on different parts of the calf.

So at the end of the day I'm not exactly sure which bit contributed most to my recovery, but there may be something in there that helps someone else.

happy running :wink:
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Glad to hear it.

Run happy.
  • 22colin
    Options
    ooh - forgot to mention...

under STRETCHING - add HAMSTRING stretches - apparently they're all connected & one influences the other !!! who would have thought LOL - stretching the legs from the feet right up through your butt & lower back is also really important :happy: