On the subject of food...

Options
My main theory in food is two-fold - try to get as cleanly as I can, and everything in moderation. I will NOT deny myself the occasional piece of cake, I just won't eat it every day. :) We're also raising a family on a budget, so I can't always do organic, whole foods, etc. But I try to get whole wheat when I do buy processed, lots of fresh and frozen fruits and veggies, and we try to make meals instead of getting the convenience foods.

Here's my issue - lunches. I don't really like to cook; wish I did, I just don't. I can make myself make dinner (or talk my DH into it :P), but I usually don't want to hassle with a big meal/lots of cooking in the middle of the day. I have my good ole' standby's, but I'm looking for other ideas for me and the boys.

Stuff I make now:
- lots of tuna; sometimes sandwiches, sometimes on a salad, sometimes just right out of the pouch :P
- tossed salads
- pasta salad w/veggies, fat free Italian dressing

I'm not HUGE on sandwiches, but will eat them if I must.

Replies

• msrat1
    msrat1 Posts: 43
    Options
    I too refuse to deny myself and take everything in moderation. I also look for lower calorie alternatives to what I usually that's sweet. I've been drinking more water and less sugary juices. Really minimized my intake of red meat and fried food. I am now eating more grilled and baked meats, fish and even grilled fruit (pineapples are the best)
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I am all about NOT depriving myself - I normally use my lunch hour at the gym so honestly, I usually eat a healthy choice or lean cuisine for lunch. I try to choose ones with higher protein (and less sugar) since I eat them right after working out. I used to HATE the taste of them (and still do for a few)....but I have found some of my favorites and that's what I stick with. i also make my own salads and top with grilled chicken.
  • lavsk23
    lavsk23 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't like to cook either. And previously I would just eat some ready-to-eat food for dinner and be done with it. Sometimes even skip it! Too lazy isn't? Now I am making efforts to cook dinner and make a little extra which I pack for the next day's lunch, esp if its pasta or quinoa. I am not being very consistent with this but now I am pushing myself to do this at least 3-4 days a week.
    Having lunch at my office cafeteria is digging too big a hole in my pocket and my daily calorie allowance :P So all the more motivation now :) On the days when I eat in the cafeteria, I try to stick with soups and salads (with chicken/turkey) and an occasional grilled-fish or curry chicken and rice. No fried food, no sugary stuff.
  • lizzielou67
    lizzielou67 Posts: 35
    Options
    I don't deny myself anything either. In fact, chocolate is one big downfall for me. I love chocolate. We always keep a bag of the tiny chocolate bars (I think the snack size, not the fun size which are bigger). If I'm craving chocolate, I eat one or two of those. It works.

I hate to cook but I do (except for Friday which is our night out with Friends). Friday's are bad for us as we do the same Mexican resturant every week and I have a hard time not eating baskets and baskets of chips. I've been better and try to eat a few and stop. TRY!! HA! I also try to make healthier choices there.

Lunch? We eat sandwiches, fruit, and something cruncy (yes, potato chips some days but we weigh everything so I do only get one portion) pretty much every day. I so cometimes use a Lean Cuisine etc. for a variety. I'm lazy but once and a while I put together a cobb salad or something like that. Lunch is boring most of the time so I get frustrated with that. I might get some tuna as that would be a switch from lunch meat in my sandwich.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    It's interesting to me that non of us likes to cook... To me it's an inconvenience being a single female, no kids... Why bother!
    I also don't deprive myself of foods I enjoy. When I first began this journey I thought I had to because I had poor control over how much I ate of those foods at one time, ie a pint of ice cream instead of a 1/4 of that. However, since November 2011, I have really been working on my "mind" and have since gotten a much better grip on what I can have in my house without devouring it all at one sitting! So, nothing is off limits, its just how often I eat it and how much when I do.

As far as lunches, my job requires me to be in my car about 75% of the time and the other times I am in a situation with no access to a refrigerator or microwave. I frequent a local convenient store almost everyday and get the same thing, almost everyday, egg white, a slice of cheese on a toasted bagel. I know it could be healthier but it could be much worse. But it's quick and convenient and it satisfies me. I know I should vary my diet not just our of bordem but for nutrition purposes, too...

I get home late, around 9:15 pm, after work and the gym, so i dont usually have dinner until 9:30 at night, or later! I know, it stinks!.... So, I am in no mode to begin cooking. So dinner for me is microwaveable dinner such as Barbara's Kitchen, Amy's lite & leans (I'm largely a vegetarian but will eat seafood on occasion), lean cuisine, Kashi frozen meals and then I always add a fresh vegetable such as STEAMED spinach, green beans, broccoli, squash, etc. I love fresh veggies.

I also belong to spark people.com. They have some really good sounding and quick recipes. I also go directly to food websites. There is one for Rotel tomatoes that have some fantastic sounding/quick recipes. I even went as far as buying most of the ingredients for a few of them because they sounded so good.. Only to kid myself thinking I would make them!