Ideas for an exercise program

Options
Hey everybody!

In my quest to get ready for beach season, I've started swimming at this pool next to my office. It's only 50 meters long, so I'm trying to create some kind of interval/circuit workout, since it's not long enough to do distance swimming. Or maybe it is, I don't know, I never competed or anything, I just like to swim. Any thoughts on what I need for an exercise program?

Replies

• Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I swim in a 20m pool and just keep going.....I use a waterproof MP3 player to stave off the boredom....I can do 80 lengths (1 mile) in about 55 minutes. I don't think the length of the pool should make any difference to the total distance you swim.
  • jessicafk11
    jessicafk11 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Learn to turn (open or flip, it's up to you) and suddenly the pool ends when you want it to, not when you reach one end or the other
  • murdy745
    murdy745 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    a 50M pool is PERFECT for distance swimming.....check out swimmer's world for workouts...can you flip turn?
  • mijo32002
    mijo32002 Posts: 42
    Options
    a 50M pool is PERFECT for distance swimming.....check out swimmer's world for workouts...can you flip turn?

I cannot, sadly. Ideas on how?
  • Lynn_SD
    Lynn_SD Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody!

In my quest to get ready for beach season, I've started swimming at this pool next to my office. It's only 50 meters long, so I'm trying to create some kind of interval/circuit workout, since it's not long enough to do distance swimming. Or maybe it is, I don't know, I never competed or anything, I just like to swim. Any thoughts on what I need for an exercise program?

Usually pools are 25 meters per length (so 50 m per full lap); this is considered "Olympic size", as far as I know. In this size pool, 18 lengths are equal to one quarter mile. The other common length is the 25 yard pool (or 50 yards per full lap); in this shorter pool, you have to swim 22 lengths to equal one quarter mile.

If you are new to lap swimming, working up to a full quarter mile is a nice way to start; this will take about 20 to 30 minutes depending on your skill and speed. I vary strokes to make it more fun, use mostly freestyle one length alternating with breast stroke/leg fly combo one length, then mix in back stroke, side stroke and of course using the kickboard for variety. I have the gloves too and use them sometime. Get a good pair of goggles and a swimcap of course too. I've never swam in competition but once I did swim 2 miles in one day (176 lengths!). There is also a waterproof music player available somewhere.
  • Lynn_SD
    Lynn_SD Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I swim in a 20m pool and just keep going.....I use a waterproof MP3 player to stave off the boredom....I can do 80 lengths (1 mile) in about 55 minutes. I don't think the length of the pool should make any difference to the total distance you swim.

Hi Gail, what waterproof MP3 player do you have and how does it work? It is a special set of headphones? Where did you purchase it and what was approx. cost? Been wanting one for a while but didn't know anyone who actually had one! Thanks for advice!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I would love to swim in a 50m pool, but the one at my gym is only 18m... and I just swim 150 lengths. I don't get bored and I can only swim breaststroke, but if you can swim different strokes, try alternating breaststroke and freestyle (front crawl) and even butterfly if it's allowed (not all pools do).

I've been recommended to start doing drills with a float, but not quite sure what to do myself. I'd love to find a swimming coach and get some pointers.
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I've recently started using speedo pace club for workouts- check it out for ideas- or start doing one of the 12-week sessions based on your level.
  • andreabrightside
    Options
    The pool at my building is 12.5m long (I zoomed in on Google Maps so I know this is accurate ;) ). I would kill for a 50m pool... although at the end of 50m I get pretty tired so I think I'd look kind of silly having to stop for a breath every length, let alone not being able to do a lap ;)
  • dmiller9911
    Options
    This is usually where i get my workouts from. They can be somewhat more advanced at times, but they usually have 3 different ones for advanced, intermediate, and beginner swimmers.

http://ntcmastersswim.blogspot.com/

Another site i sometimes use has alot of stuff geared towards beginners that are just starting, but it also has some pretty tough workouts.

http://www.ruthkazez.com/50swimworkouts.html
  • thewestwifey
    thewestwifey Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi! Anyone looking for some variation in workouts, I use the iPhone Kiefer SwimKit iPhone app. It is super easy to use. You can select from main categories of distance, mid distance, sprint, stroke or IM, and pace emphasis. Once you decide what you woul like to work on there are multiple practices listed within that category. Each practice has a "shorter workout" and if you scroll to the bottom a "longer workout" is also provided. It's a great tool that I use and it also provides tips and tricks too! Good luck! :)
  • Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    There are some good videos online on flipturns. I liked the www.beginnertriathlete.com I wouldn't keep repeating flip like they suggest,you will get dizzy. I would just stop after each lap and practice one,lap,practice,etc.

Happy Swimming,
    Sara
  • SnowAngel80
    Options
    HI!

Ive been doing the zero to mile workout...its been helpful because it allows me to work on my breathing and technique to build up to swimming a mile straight.

Here's the link:
    http://ruthkazez.com/SwimWorkouts/ZeroTo1mile.html

It also gives ideas for 50m pools

Happy swimming!
  • riftknight
    riftknight Posts: 21
    Options

I cannot, sadly. Ideas on how?

Try just doing a sommersault in the water. Once you can do that and come up still knowing your bearings, then lay out flat (well away from the wall) and try doing a half sommer sault so your body ends up pointing in the opposite direction. Once you master that, lay out about 3 ft from the wall and do the half sommersault again (facing the wall of course). try to plant your feet on the wall and push off. When you get that down, do a leisurely swim into the wall and do your half sommersault and push off. When you've got that, you've got the basics for a flip-turn!