What's your favourite gym in Ottawa?

Options
I thought it would be fun to take a survey (... of the half-dozen members here so far...) of gyms in town.

I have membership with Goodlife and I only go to one location because it's really close to my place. However, I'm not 100% happy with it. It's a bit cramped. It also seems to go through trainers very quickly, and I'm not sure how competent they are - the one who did my "free health assessment" (actually just a sales pitch for personal training) seemed to have no idea what she was talking about. For example she couldn't explain to me how the body fat scale worked and she told me I should never eat above my BMR...

My membership expires in a few months, so I'm considering other options.

So where do you go to work out? Do you like it? How much does it cost? (I pay around $62 a month.)

Replies

• Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I currently go to the DOC fitness, it's not super high tech, there's one experienced trainer, use to be a government gym but now I think it's open to anyone. It's 200$ for one year.

I prefer this over any gym with young guys regrouping around machines, watching each other and talking about their glorious weekends.
  • weightofyourskin
    Options
    $200 for one year is a great deal, but I don't think their opening hours would work for me :(

Also it looks like I missed the registration deadline for 2012...
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    You can always registered every Tuesday, maybe call ahead to see, but they probably have enough space left for the year. Opening hours are closer to work hours, it's a corner away from my work, so it's the easiest for me.
  • cdnclovr
    cdnclovr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You might also want to try Fit4Less. It's owned by Goodlife. I have a black membership there and it starts at 10$/month and you can get a "no commitment" membership. The one in the West (Baseline/Merivale) has ALL NEW equipment and they've set up a section to be like Curves. Added bonus, it's open 24/7. https://fit4less.ca/
  • kassandra81
    Options
    I go to Premier Fitness at Carlingwood. It's a smaller gym I think, but perfect for myself and my husband. The hours work for our schedule, open 6am to 10pm during the week and 8am-6pm Sat, 9-5 Sun. We got a good deal for signing up together, so it's pretty good. It's also just a 5 minute walk from our house - big bonus! They're like every gym though, wanting to sell you packages, etc.
  • prettypooks
    prettypooks Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I go to the Ottawa Athletic Club. We have the premium membership, so we don't pay extra for things like squash courts or hot yoga (which usually cost more at other gyms). My eldest stepson and I take kickboxing classes there, and my younger stepson takes tennis lessons. My spouse uses the traditional gym facilities.

It has a "spa" (steam room, sauna, whirlpool) included in the membership, which is awesome, not to mention towel service. The instructors are of the highest quality (my spouses ex-wife teaches spinning classes there, and she's competed in, and won many Canadian cycling races), although I'm not sure about the training staff. Considering they have "pros" on staff for golf, tennis, and squash, I would imagine they're good. I'll let you know when I go in for my fitness evaluation. ;)

It's expensive (we pay about $165 a month, plus the kickboxing and tennis lessons), but the facilities are top-notch, so worth it in my mind. Especially because I've paid the $65 a month for a Goodlife membership I never used.
  • weightofyourskin
    Options
    I should have specified that I live in Sandy Hill and would like a place that wouldn't require long periods of time spend on buses. My current gym is a 10-minute walk from my place.

I've also heard a lot of bad things about Premier Fitness... http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2011/01/07/con-marketplace-gym-complaints.html?ref=rss
  • lilzilla
    Options
    I don't actually live in Ottawa, I'm over in Aylmer. My membership costs $25 a month, has a female only side and then a unisex side, and classes are included in membership fees, plus there is free playcare from 5:30-8:30pm mon-thurs. Its called Evolution.

I should add that I haven't been to the gym in about 2 months. So thats $50 I've basically flushed down the toilet.
  • kassandra81
    Options
    I should have specified that I live in Sandy Hill and would like a place that wouldn't require long periods of time spend on buses. My current gym is a 10-minute walk from my place.

I've also heard a lot of bad things about Premier Fitness... http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2011/01/07/con-marketplace-gym-complaints.html?ref=rss

I have heard about some people having a rough time cancelling their membership there. I will however say that my membership there has been good. I haven't had any issues. They try and get you to purchase personal training sessions during your fitness evaluation but that's pretty normal. That sucks that some people have had a rough time, but like I said, I've not experienced anything like that.
  • Falisha13
    Falisha13 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I go to the Athletic Club, there is 2 in Ottawa one at the Train Yards & one in Orleans. I lived in Guelph for most of my life & they had one there & I had checked it out & liked it. I personal go to the one at the train yards I really enjoy it. It it open 24 hrs during the week & 8-8 On Sunday's & closes at 8pm on Saturday too. The cost is $27.06 bi-wkly don't remember how much it was to join originally but not to horribly bad. Do want to let you it is a busy gym & depending on your schedule it can be insane at certain times, like after work or on the weekends & on holidays.
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm a Goodlife girl, simply because it's convenient. There are two that are halfway between work and home, so I go to whichever one is more convenient that day...usually at one particular location though. I agree that it is overpriced, but again, because of the convenience I pay the regular monthly rate. Some of the staff is nice, while some are chatty and unprofessional. BUT the machines are decent.... all told I love that fact that you can go to any one in the city with one pass.
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I go to the local community centre. It's very clean, the machines are in top shape, everyone is there to get down to business and the trainers/supervisors they have there are all very knowledgeable, competitors in various sports and have certifications in different physical areas. I just bought a gym membership for 8 months and it cost me $200 which is cringeworthy enough how much I pay monthly for bootcamp.
  • newfieborn
    Options
    I just joined Greco. My wife has been there for about 7 months. It is expensive but it is a really good workout. Each class is instructor led and it is set up like circuit training.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I have a membership at Fit4Less but I've been doing my workouts at home lately through videos. Currently doing Insanity.
  • annice_quentin
    annice_quentin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I used to go the the Jewish Community Centre (you don't have to be Jewish to go there), but they were closed for all the Jewish holidays and from sundown on Friday to sundown on Saturday, which was annoying for me. They do have a nice pool, sauna, steam room, gym, gymansium and squash courts though.

My job has since required me to leave by 6:45 a.m. and I like the option of working out early in the morning, so I searched for a new gym. I ended up joined Snap Fitness, which has gyms in Westboro, the Glebe and Kanata, with more opening. You can go to any one of the gyms and they are open 24 hours. I pay $49 per month, but I could pay a bit less if I paid a year in advance.

I like their equipement (it's their own brand) and there's always free equipment. I love the excercise bikes as they are the Expresso ones, with a video screen where you can follow the course. You steer the "bike" and when there are hills on the screen the bike acts as though you really are going up and down hills and you can change gears as you need.

I also ran into your problem with getting a free fitness assessment and the sales pitch. The trainer was really quite nasty when I said no. She even had the nerve to ask me how I would stay motivated without a trainer!

The only other downside is they don't have showers. I prefer to shower at home anyway.
  • clouxles
    clouxles Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I used to belong to Florida Fitness , we had an amazing Kick Boxing instructor Gustave Bombo, too bad about his ego.

Now it's Good Life, 2 within biking distance of my home and another across the road from work (which I bike to also)... I could get cheaper but Good life is just too handy.

I go a lot for the Combat classes and a few Attack (even though sometimes I am the only man - :glasses: ) classes... I am a regular, I hoot I howl and have fun WTF!

It's the good life!

Mark
  • kaleighwaldorf
    Options
    I go to Goodlife, it's my favorite. I've had memberships at other gyms when I lived in another city but am very happy to be back at Goodlife. I usually go to the HuntClub/Merivale location or the Strandherd/Woodroffe one. I am addicted to RPM spin classes and I like the women's only section at Hunt Club. The staff is always helpful, showers/washrooms pretty clean and I feel the price is appropriate for what I get as I go there 5 days a week. :)
  • CLJC55
    CLJC55 Posts: 8
    Options
    The Atheletic Club, By far the better than any other in this area. The only place that comes close but you will pay is The Ottawa Atheletic Club. With the membership all classes are included on a first come basis. Staff is very knowledgeable and helpfull.
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I went to the OAC years ago. Nowadays I go to Curves (it's not the old lady gym I thought it would be lol.) I was considering GoodLife (all I really wanted was somewhere with a recumbent bike) but Curves was closer to my house (if I had to ride the bus every day I probably wouldn't end up going so this is better.) It's a good workout. A positive environment. Plus it's ladies only which is nice. It's only 50 bucks a month I think.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    The Atheletic Club, By far the better than any other in this area. The only place that comes close but you will pay is The Ottawa Atheletic Club. With the membership all classes are included on a first come basis. Staff is very knowledgeable and helpfull.

I used to go to Goodlife but as soon as I walked into the atheletic club, I switched! It's cheaper and much nicer IMO, it's always very clean too.