starting today - best book?

Options
hi

i have a good idea what i can eat but i would like a book to have as a reference - any suggestions would be great.

also how many calories does everyone aim for?

thanks

Replies

• kkarrolle
    kkarrolle Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I follow the primal blueprint concepts, and I found the book 'Primal Blueprint' by Mark Sisson to be a great read, his blog/forum site is also a useful resource - www.marksdailyapple.com

The book is not about weight loss but health overall, and it includes a chapter about weightloss. There are some guidelines for calorie intake (everyone is different of course) as well as a break down on macronutrients - protein based on lean body mass, carbs between 50gms to 100gms (for weight loss) and the balance of the calories to come from fat.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I love Everyday Paleo :)
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I don't really aim for a specific calorie goal. I just plan my meals to be as paleo/primal as possible and try to keep my carbs around50 or 60 but never more than 100 on a bad day.

I think I normally end up eating 1500-1700 or so, even thought I am set to 1200. I still lose weight.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options

^^^ me too!
  • kecarlto
    kecarlto Posts: 49 Member
    Options

^^^ me too!

tons of great recipes in everyday paleo not to mention the easy workout guide :happy:
  • lucysmommy
    lucysmommy Posts: 460
    Options
    thanks will have a look at that one - ended up downloading the paleo diet one for my kindle
  • KBGirts
    Options
    I just bought Primal Blueprint for my Kindle. I can't wait to get started.
  • lucysmommy
    lucysmommy Posts: 460
    Options

Im tempted to get this one tomorrow - let me know how you find it x
  • gersoco
    gersoco Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've been following Primal Blueprint for almost 5 months now. It's awesome!
    Here are my two recommendations:

1. "The Primal Blueprint 21-Day Total Body Transformation" to quickly get you with the program.
    2. "The Primal Blueprint" That has the theories behind the program.
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Eat Fat lose fat is also an interesting read, but the first one I read was the primal blueprint :)
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, I read Primal Blueprint first, then found Cut the Fat podcast, then Livin' La Vida Low Carb and Robb Wolf's podcasts....then read Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes, and excellent book from a low carb/scientific perspective
  • KBGirts
    Options

Im tempted to get this one tomorrow - let me know how you find it x

I have a Kindle app on my phone. I went to Amazon.com and found the book and bought the kindle version for $7.50. It automatically downloads to my phone. If you have a Kindle you can get in on there, or I think you can download it to your computer. I don't know if you can print it off though. I've never downloaded to my computer.
  • gogogracie
    gogogracie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am reading Sweet Potato power by Ashley Tudor and it is GREAT. It really makes it personalized and breaks it down in a way that is very easy to remember. She also has great recommendations for tests you can do to make your diet very personalized for your needs.It is a new book and I wouldn't be surprised if it really takes off. It is easy to read and really breaks everything down. I don't even eat sweet potatoes right now because I am trying to be in weight loss mode but despite the title this book has something for everyone.

I also recommend why we get fat by Gary Taubes as another great introduction, but he focuses more on low carb than paleo. If you really want to get into the science of how weight loss works and how hormones control our weight I would start there.