BioMarkers

Options
KBGirts
KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
I have been eating Primal for one week. I went in for a check up on Monday for bloodwork. I am going to go back in 6th months to see if there are any changes after eating primal for that amount of time. Here are my results:

Height/Weight: 5'4" 163lbs
Blood Pressure: 110/70
Pulse: 81
Total Cholesterol: 194
LDL: 122
HDL: 49
Ratio: 4.0
Triglycerides: 118
Glucose: 70

Of course, I am trying to lose weight, so I hope at that time it is closer to 145lbs. I would like to see the LDL drop and HDL increase. I would like to see my blood pressure improve even though it looks normal to me. I was surprised at my pulse rate. It is normally not that high and so I thought it was just elevated because I was in the doctor's but I checked it tonight and it was 84. I don't understand that and I do not know if it is diet related, but I know working out more would most likely help.

Does anyone have any insight on these numbers? I will provide the new set in 6 months.

Replies

• MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Fantastic that you have a baseline, I'm jealous. If you stay primal, your numbers will be amazingly different. Your LDL may not come down a ton, t your trig will plummet and your hdl will come up nicely.
    Make sure to eliminate all pufa and get some good omega 3s along with making sure to eat good fats and cholesterols like eggs and bacon, yum.
  • KBGirts
    Options
    I am trying to stay away from pufa foods as much as possible. At home I use olive oil or coconut oil. If I eat out, I request everything grilled. But don't some nuts have pufas even if they are not roasted in oil? Don't some meats? I need to research this more.... that can be another thread.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Most nuts have large amounts of Omega-6 compared to Omega-3. Macadamia are the lowest out there. That's why they are treated as a "snack" or an ingredient. And why I don't use almond meal too much. Mark's Daily Apple has some good articles.

Saturated fat will create the large, fluffy LDL that is benign. And it will raise your HDL. Triglycerides are created from the liver by carbohydrates. So this will definitely drop.
  • KBGirts
    Options
    I am also reading that fish has it as well. How am I supposed to cut out all pufas if it's in fish? Fish is pretty much a staple for me.

It's so funny, too, that while I am looking for info on this, I have found so many sights saying that unsaturated fats are the "good" fats. One website says to use heart healthy margarine. Another says they lower cholesterol and are healthier than saturated fats and that you should eat them regularly..... and it provides lots of sources, such as vegetable and corn oil..... geez.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I wish I had done a baseline as well.... Please do share when you get the changes. I do know my BP, pulse, and BF% have dropped significantly
  • KBGirts
    Options
    I will share! I can't wait to see it myself. Before trying Primal I ate TERRIBLE!!!! Lot's of fried foods, milk shakes, sodas, all kind of starches.... it was horrible. I am looking forward to the change now that I am eating REAL food.
  • gogogracie
    gogogracie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Your numbers are really not bad at all! I agree with what you said though, you just want to improve your LDL HDL ratio and you will effortlessly if you eat better. Also, your fasting glucose is AMAZING. This suggests that you will be able to tolerate a reasonable amount of carbs even while you are trying to lose weight :)