Hormone swings and hot flashes

Options
desirae500
desirae500 Posts: 146 Member
So, I've been in perimenopause for 4-5 years and FINALLY the doc says I am truly menopausal. In Feb I had a huge ovarian cyst and 1 ovary removed and suddenly I find I'm having serious hot flashes and water weight shifts again! Has anyone tried the OTC Estroven or those types of products? I've also been told that primrose may help.

All ideas welcome!

Replies

• BCsurvivor1962
    BCsurvivor1962 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Sorry I can't help. Since I had breast cancer, I am not allowed to take hormone replacement therapies since my cancer was estrogen positive. I do know that I was thrown into menopause during Chemo and suffered with hot flashes for 5 years due to my medication.

The BEST investment I made was a portable a/c for my bedroom! I am a MUCH happier person, hot flashes or not, when I sleep well!

Good Luck!!!
  • Cyndi62
    Cyndi62 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Haven't had too many flashes, but really enjoyed reading.....

http://www.cemcor.ubc.ca/help_yourself/books_videos/estrogens_storm_season

and scoping out their info pages. I am sure there is a load of valuable info on site.
    Good luck!
  • desirae500
    desirae500 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    thanks for the help! I do have a fan on the window ledge near the bed! I'll check out the website!

Congrats on being a survivor!
  • Cyndi62
    Cyndi62 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I forgot to say that when my mom was going thru menopause, we read up on Niacin. We were able to totally control her flashes with an increased dose throughout the day.

I get flashes now but I guess mine are pretty minor compared to hers. I don't like how :explode: they make me feel though.

good luck.
  • Db8688
    Db8688 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I suggest reading up on natural herbal remedies. I used Black Cohosh and Red Clover to get through menopause. You have to be careful with Black Cohosh though because if you take too much it can make you nauseated. I would start by visiting an online store like Swanson Vitamins or Botanic Choice and then also google anyhting before you order it just to learn about the product independently. If you take any prescription meds make sure you research to insure they are compatible with the herbal products. Good Luck! This too shall pass. :)
  • RIENTJIE
    RIENTJIE Posts: 1
    Options
    HORMONE PILLS HELPS WITH HOT FLASHES AS WELL AS OMEGA 3,6 & 9. THE OMEGA CAPSULES CONTAINS PRIMROSE OIL. JUST WATCH OUT FOR YOUR WEIGHT WITH HORMONE PILLS. HAVE A LOVELY DAY.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I had a complete-complete hysterectomy when I was 36 and have been on hormone therapy ever since. The first night after my surgery, I sweat through three pair pj's and had to change them each time. Really bad hot-flashes! I was not going to do hormone therapy but after that one night changed my tune. Since I am 50 now, I should probably look into getting off the stuff. My Mom had a bout with breast cancer but the Dr. hasn't made an recommendations for any changes. Strange.
  • skinnyinmt
    skinnyinmt Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The Wisdom of Menopause by Dr. Christine Northrup is really a good reference and full of gtreat ideas. Enjoy!
  • BCsurvivor1962
    BCsurvivor1962 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Please be VERY careful with hormone replacement therapies. Especially if you have a history in your family of breast cancer. I am in menopause and suffering hot flashes and the such but would rather do that than deal with chemo and radiation and surgery AGAIN!