What do you do when you go to a party?

Options
I have a graduation party coming up . There is going to be food everywhere , sweets and cakes and drink. I every time I go to a party they always say we made extra for you , no matter how many times I have told them not to . I can not just not show up , and I don't want to offend them you know. I used to make a plate of food and just walk around with it then throw it out ....lol So it looked like I ate , but I have to say it is enough to make go crazy .

Replies

• aat3877
    aat3877 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Eating before you go helps. At least you are less tempted to eat more than you need. Good luck.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a little something before I go, just in case there isn't anything at the party that is diabetic-friendly. Usually I can find something at the party I can eat, so I'll fix a plate of that stuff and carry it around and nibble on it all night.
  • Dietz27
    Dietz27 Posts: 107
    Options
    That's not you anymore. Drink a bunch of water while you are there. If you are going to drink adult beverages, make it something clear with diet soda. I like Bacardi and Coke Zero with a lime. The couple parties I have been to since my diagnosis, I stay away from the food table as much as possible.

Also, not sure where you are in terms of telling others about your diabetes, but it helped me deal with it by telling friends I was comfortable talking to about it. These will sooner or later probably be the same people you will need to lean on for help during your journey.

Remember your life is not over either....so go have a fun time as well!!
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I usually bring something SF to drink since I don't always assume there will be anything. I also make sure I drink lots of water. I eat lots of veggies, this time of year people usually have veggie trays and green salads. I go for meat that isn't covered in anything sweet or starchy, you can pick off the fried chicken coating. After I've eaten stuff that is ok and I'm fairly full, I get a bite or two of anything tempting. If you are going to eat dessert, either eat fruit salad or stuff that is really high fat like cheese cake. While fruit salad has carbs at least they are healthy carbs. High fat stuff doesn't dump sugar in your system all at once, it is more of a steady release and a little easier on your BG.

It is a party and it's ok to enjoy it. I would eat whatever you want if it doesn't have carbs even if it is higher in fat and cals. I generally will eat cheese, deviled eggs and sausage. I also tend to try to be pretty low carb before I go to these things. I think last party I went to I ate a couple hard boiled eggs for breakfast and ate all my carbs at the party. Not the greatest thing but better than being high carb all day.

I tend to drink my hard liquor straight or with diet soda to keep the carb count down. Ok, I just prefer my hard liquor straight. Dry wine is also not to bad.

Go and have fun!
  • ctprofessional
    ctprofessional Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with Sharonks(I usually do)!

Carefull with alcohol, it will make your sugar drop!!!!! Make sure you eat while you drink, and check your sugar often!
    I have found that beer makes my sugar go up, but liquor drops it.
    There are alot of recipies for yummy cocktails out there that you can make. I love sugar free koolaid and vodka. I also just found that Skinny Girl cocktails are yummy! They come already mixed with alcohol in them and use agave instead of sugar. I usually have to nibble on carbs the entire time I'm drinking that stuff to keep my sugar from getting to low.
    I know your a guy and all, buy I can't keep my beer drinking hubby off my Skinny Girl drinks!
  • lmclean58
    lmclean58 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Some suggestions:

Take some 'emergency' snacks with you. Just in case you don't find anything you can eat there. (a baggy with veggies, one with a single serving of nuts, and SF beverages) Keep it in your pocket (that's what cargo pants are for).

Depending on the diet you're following, bring the food you need to eat.

If it's a party, offer to bring something. Then make something you can eat safely. Lots of yummy recipies on the internet. (google Turkey broccoli grape salad. It is very low carb, will travel well, and is easy to make) You'll be a hit and if you're single... everyone likes a good cook. :wink:

Also let your friends know you're trying to watch what you eat. You don't have to tell them everything that's going on with your health unless you choose.

Good luck!
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat before those types of social gatherings. Then once there, I'll graze for healthy things like veggies or even just meatballs etc. to nibble. I also like others said, drink a lot of water before hand.