Raw Vegan/Gluten Free & Lifting

Options
Saunz5
Saunz5 Posts: 165 Member
Hi everyone! I am fairly new to this site, and to this group, but I am currently training for a Tough Mudder and I love working out. I lift and do cardio, but I'm afraid I'm not getting enough protein? What is the recommended amount and what are your favorite sources of protein? My diet is Raw Vegan (By choice) and Gluten-Free (Celiac Disease). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks! :)

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Have you read Brendan Brazier?
  • Saunz5
    Options
    No I haven't. Never heard of him. Who is he?
  • pdworkman
    Options
    Vegan ironman triathlete:

http://myvega.com/team-vega/brendan-brazier/biography

Author of "The Thrive Diet" and other books. Not 100% raw or gluten free, but a good start.
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    MotorCityFemmeFatale Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You can try Sunwarrior Protein

How high are you trying to get your protein intake?
  • Saunz5
    Options
    That's my problem, I'm not sure how high it needs to be. I've heard mixed reviews on it and the fact that the body doesn't actually need as much protein as everyone seems to think. So I'm lost on this one.

I'll check him out - thanks! :)
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm also lost . . . vegan and gluten free here, leaning toward raw. Right now I feel like 20% protein is a goal for me as I'm just starting P90X and am hoping to build a lot of muscle.

I had a nutritionist adamantly tell me that I needed no more than 15%.
    The P90X guide says 50% (!) to start.
    Raw foodies say - doesn't matter, your body makes what it needs.

So, after freaking out about it, I've decided to not stress about it. Green smoothies with protein powder, nuts, and a balanced diet.

And I second the recommendation to check out Brendan Brazier - he talks about the quality of protein being more important than the quantity.
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Another great raw vegan source of protein (enzymes, vitamins, etc) is SPROUTS (think beyond alfalfa....lentil, sunflower seeds, broccoli, etc) ! There may not be official numbers of more protein grams, but the nutritional value is believed to be enhanced during the sprouting process. superfood!
  • pdworkman
    Options
    Sprouted lentils, edamame, mung beans, and chickpeas are delicious! Just stay away from raw/sprouted kidney beans . . .
  • Saunz5
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I've been sprouting buckwheat, lentils, sunflower seeds, and am going to try some new ones (chickpeas, etc) soon! :)
    I will definitely be checking out Brendon Brazier! :)