Push ups - help me

Options
sonal150
sonal150 Posts: 36 Member
I have no upper body strength. 4 days before starting my 30 DS, I started with some arms workout to gain some strength with a hope I will be able to do push ups soon.

I am on DAY 4 of 30 DS and still hardly can do one good push up (that too the knee version). :cry: I cannot keep my form, don't really know what I should do to get myself to start doing decent push-ups.

Any suggestions, tips, ideas?

Replies

• mrsejennings
    mrsejennings Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Good question - I would like to see some responces.
    My suggestion is a yoga mat? Are you slipping? That will help.
    Keep trying. Keep your form. Here is what I quickly found online:
    Push-up Technique. Assume the Push-up starting position with your elbows locked. Lower yourself by bending your elbows until your chest almost touches the floor. Come back up by pushing through the floor.

Hand Position. Don't take your hands out to wide. Put your hands slightly wider than shoulder-width. Hands turned out 45°.
    Tuck Your Elbows. Easier on your shoulders. Keep your elbows at a 45° angle to your body during Push-ups.
    Push Your Abs Out. Straight line from shoulders to ankles. Push your abs out as if someone was going to punch you in the stomach.
    Squeeze Your Glutes. Push your abs out while squeezing your glutes hard. Both will avoid any hyper-extension of your lower back.
    Tuck Your Chin. Lead with your chest, not with your head. Your neck must stay inline with the rest of your spine. Don't look forward.
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    When doing the knee modification, are you lifting your legs behind you? I keep mine on the floor and just position my upper body and do them that way. It may be a whimpy way of doing it, but until I get stronger and leaner, it's just the way it has to be done! I still feel like I get a good work out. I modify where necessary. I'll work my way up... just my thoughts. Don't give up.
  • sonal150
    Options
    Good question - I would like to see some responces.
    My suggestion is a yoga mat? Are you slipping? That will help.
    Keep trying. Keep your form. Here is what I quickly found online:
    Push-up Technique. Assume the Push-up starting position with your elbows locked. Lower yourself by bending your elbows until your chest almost touches the floor. Come back up by pushing through the floor.

Hand Position. Don't take your hands out to wide. Put your hands slightly wider than shoulder-width. Hands turned out 45°.
    Tuck Your Elbows. Easier on your shoulders. Keep your elbows at a 45° angle to your body during Push-ups.
    Push Your Abs Out. Straight line from shoulders to ankles. Push your abs out as if someone was going to punch you in the stomach.
    Squeeze Your Glutes. Push your abs out while squeezing your glutes hard. Both will avoid any hyper-extension of your lower back.
    Tuck Your Chin. Lead with your chest, not with your head. Your neck must stay inline with the rest of your spine. Don't look forward.

Thanks for your response. :flowerforyou:
    Those are really detailed steps. I always had doubts as to how the elbows should be. I will try to remember these instructions.
    I do not slip but cannot really take my body down to the mat! It is a bit weird...i think!
    But thank you for the tips. I will keep working on my form :smile:
  • sonal150
    Options
    When doing the knee modification, are you lifting your legs behind you? I keep mine on the floor and just position my upper body and do them that way. It may be a whimpy way of doing it, but until I get stronger and leaner, it's just the way it has to be done! I still feel like I get a good work out. I modify where necessary. I'll work my way up... just my thoughts. Don't give up.
    Hey,
    I do lift my legs when I am doing the knee modification. I will try your technique tomorrow and see how it goes.
    Also mrsejennings shared really good tips. I guess I will get better as I get more strength in my arms.
    Thank you for sharing your experience :flowerforyou:
  • phoenix8633
    phoenix8633 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the pushups out of all the exercises in level 1 the pushups I hate, the rest I love it's only because I can't do pushups very well, especially on the second set of them I have to stop half way then get back to them just do my arms get a quick rest!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    my knees are always killing me during the modified push ups. I've tried putting a light blanket underneath them. Still doesn't help. I may just try the regular ones and hopefully build up my stamina
  • sonal150
    Options
    Hello Ladies,
    I am trying to follow the push up techniques mentioned in this thread before. I keep those pointers at the back of my head.
    BUT my sister showed me a "stand-up" version of push up and she said that since I have no strength in my arms it is difficult for me to do any push up and maintain the correct form.
    I am now doing the "stand-up" version. May be you try this if you are struggling with push up.
    I choose a door way and good that is it just a few inches more than my shoulder length. I stand up on my toes a few feet away from the door way and keep my hands on the sides of the doorway. This makes me stand at an angle (like 60 degrees). I always keep myself on the toes. Now I start my "push-ups" leading with the chest, keep a straight line between my feet and my head.
    This certainly gets my arms worked up. I am going to try this for another few days before I do the real push ups!
    I hope my steps make sense for you to try on :happy: