New to Yoga

Options
helpmelose2011
helpmelose2011 Posts: 125 Member
Hi - I'm new to yoga - will actually be starting it today! I have the Am & Pm yoga DVD. I've heard good things about this. I was wondering if there is anything I need to know before I head into this ? I am looking for a exercise to help with flexibility but also I have a very stressful job so I'm needing to relax and release stress after work. I've been having a hard time sleeping lately and the lady that recommended this to me said that it helped her sleep deeper on the nights she did it.

Looking forward to your helpful hints and comments!

Tamela

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    That is a good beginner yoga DVD. It's been a long time since I did that video, but I don't think you need to know anything special. A block and a folded blanket might be helpful.
  • helpmelose2011
    helpmelose2011 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I dont have my blocks or strap yet - but i'm sure i could improvise :)
  • HannahDiaz25
    HannahDiaz25 Posts: 104
    Options
    I'm sure you've heard it before but it can't be emphasised enough! Don't strain! Especially in the beginning! Gentle pressure is enough to stretch your muscles and eventually you will find yourself mastering each pose. I have seen way to many people hurt themselves from straining/not warming up.
    Have fun with it. Don't stress if you find yourself unable to do certain poses, just be patient.
    Finally my last thought is to maintain the proper mind set. Concentrate on your body, focus on the muscles that are envolved in the pose. Try not to think about work, kids etc.
    I love doing yoga outside because I can listen to the wind and the birds...Maybe once you learn the routines on the video you could try going out doors :-) It is SO much more relaxing for the mind and I find myself invigorated and energixed everytime I move my session outside
  • HannahDiaz25
    HannahDiaz25 Posts: 104
    Options
    LOL I just noticed how old this post is... so my new question is How is it going? Did you fall in love with Yoga?
  • CAnneMartens
    Options
    Hi all!

I'm new to yoga too. I just purchased a Hatha and Flow DVD and so far so good! I was sore after the first session, but gave it a day or so and went back in for more! I really love it even though there are some positions I have trouble with. I know with losing weight and and practice I will be able to perfect them:)